What's the weather like in your neck of the woods?

• Thread starter Rborist1
  • Start date
  • Replies 8K
  • Views 495K
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Get a timer, 3-4 hours is all you need in the coldest of weather.

Darin, in my opinion, you are loving your truck to death.
If you have a hard time starting your truck in the morning, then plug in the block heater about 5 AM. With the idea of starting it about 7 AM.
It will not hurt it to have the block heater on all night if the average temp. drops to those low temps.

pay attention to the block heater if you experiance hard starting in the mornings, otherwise just do it if you know it will be getting really cold by morning.

All the talk you hear about 'cold' weather does not apply to us, (even to you in Boise). They are talking about near zero or well below degree F. nights.

Use good diesel oil, plug in your block heater if your truck has problems starting in the morning, and do all your servicing of the engine in a timely fashion. You will do just fine.

Remember, diesel engines ARE DESIGNED to run in extreme conditions, especially the type of truck you have (incredible reputation worldwide).

Frans

it will just wear out the block heater sooner if you leave it all night. they usually have a long life though. i just plug mine in on the coldest nights (thnks for reminding me!), used to have a timer but i trashed over the summer

Back in to the office this week, catching up on some business and the Treehouse.

We had the big winds too...my wife got caught out away from the house and was unable to get through the blowdown on the roads...stayed overnight with friends. The worst part was that hanging powerlines blew across and got tangled around her car as she was turning around...scary stuff. But the wind blew them off again and she made her escape. I was glad to get her home again the next morning.

We had a nice 20" dbh cottonwood go down, took out a stretch of fence, and lost the top half of a really fine Doug fir, broke off at about 60 feet at 15 inch diameter. Can you imagine the force required to break a tree trunk like that?

Power was off about 24 hours, but that doesn't inconvenience us much. Nice to have it back, nonetheless.

I've become a spoiled little city boy. I think I'd probably rent a motel room if I had to go without power for a day or more. :whine: I want air conditioning, hot water and clean sheets on a comfortable bed. And internet access. :P

I've become a spoiled little city boy. I think I'd probably rent a motel room if I had to go without power for a day or more. :whine: I want air conditioning, hot water and clean sheets on a comfortable bed. And internet access. :P

:dance: Me too, Brian!

We got a little skiff of snow last night.a partial white Christmas.Off in about 45 minutes to visit with my son ,daughter in law and youngest granddaughter.

A little comment of those wind blown trees.A pine/spruce type has a lot of "Sail" effect with the wind.I have a 60 some odd foot Norway spruce that got partially uprooted about two weeks ago from the wind,nice tree.

I'll put some pictures in another thread,I'm going to try and cable it,silly as that may sound .Ya never know until you try,I might get lucky.

yesterday i was singing let it blow let it blow let it blow. today its blowing and raining. just the combo i need this time of year!

37 degrees this morning. Damn cold for a Floridian. I don't even own the right clothes for going out in this stuff! Looks like I'm staying inside till it warms up this afternoon.

Atleast 20cm's of the fluffy white stuff with another 10 supposed to be falling today. I can hardly wait.:(

It warmed back up this afternoon. In fact my neighbor's new lawn crew came by to cut the grass. They do a fabulous job!

dance.gif

LOL! Well, finally we've got some snow on the ground, but it's not expected to last. Back up into the 40s F by the end of the week it's forecast.

I'm tempted to say it's on account of global warming, but of course it's not. The past two years we've had lower than average winter temperatures concerning average highs and lows. It's that stupid jet stream which I guess is influenced by the fickleness of goings on in the Pacific Ocean -- El Ninos and such. I dunno. All I know is I like a white Christmas and we didn't get one! :X

6:30AM +40F partly cloudy up to +51F rain coming in late tonight.
See Ya
Mike8)

Just like here, only we're expecting to get to 60 later w/ partly cloudy and a 40% chance of precip later.

Refreshing, and ride 'em cowboy. Damn tall and never pruned correctly pecans, over homes, have to be done now. No tie-in above, all footlocking to get where I need to be to lighten them up, all rigged down w/ complications, and this wind (20mph SSE and gusting to 30) makes it suck. Instead of driving home yesterday feeling accomplished, I felt like crap because I knew I wasn't done yet and it's a charity case. New truck, car, and paid-for home but their kid is retarded and needs to be shipped to a retarded school next week...no money and I suckered out for it. Made a promise and now I wish I were a Scrooge and didn't give a damn.

I'm venting, the Jameson pole saws got cracked, the blades are all bent and useless and my brand new Bluestreak got nicked in four places rendering it useless for anything but lanyard duty. I got a open burn blister on my favored hand's palm, a steel carabiner came back at me yesterday and cracked an inciser root, and I'd prefer holding my left hand in the fire until it ignites and burns to a crisp.

Hope tomorrow is happier.

Oh the weather outside is frightful, Last weeks blizzard bracketedCanon city leaving us dry while it snowed a mile away. This one is here. Yuck

Rough riders in the Sky (up on a tree).

At least this cheap dang Arboplex stretches like a used wad of chewing gum...when you got 65ft played out and highly depended on, this 30mph gusty stuff makes tie-ins sway more than drunk sailor walking into church. I couldn't even imagine static this morning. I'd be dead.

At least I finished, and feel much better about myself and these butt-ugly trees. Still would like to rather warm my home by them than knowing they're still there, making an ugly mockery of fool people and stubborn cheap-skate know-it-all German immigrants who idiotically wack the hell out of anything formerly of nature's beauty and grandeur, easiest and least expensive way possible with zero anticipation of what they do will affect reality later.

I'm also sorry for the family that has the unfortunate position of costs and trials relating to the care of a 40-year old Down's Syndrome son. He's ten or more years past the normal expectancy of life in this matter, but the hardware and medicine needed to prolong his presense has broken this family, and they have chosen to stop the special care and extra interventions needed to keep him alive...barely...for the last 20. He's catatonic and unresponsive and has life support attached to his mobile chair/bed. Limited genetic counselling pre-birth told them what to expect, they admit error in the decision they've lived with since. It's pretty damn sad, the whole situation. For all of them. The "home" he's going to is nothing more than a hospice without equipment...last right's type of thing. They elected to not go with, it's overseas. Not a tear was shed nor an expression of remorse this morning - taken out like last week's garbage. Damnit.

Don't bid cheaply fixed pecans, let the owners eat 'em from now on.

And my tooth fell out, but the job's done. I feel better. And sorry this had little to do with weather but it does, just a little. It affected me and this job that already had a lot of luggage to carry with along with it.

Charity work from now on will be carefully examined ahead of time, and there will be a personality assessment made before any decision is met.

Back