What's the weather like in your neck of the woods?

• Thread starter Rborist1
  • Start date
  • Replies 8K
  • Views 483K
More weirdness. Wind storm in the middle of the night, was out fixing the fence cuz it was slamming around. Trees blowing all over, from the SE which is unusual. Hot and dry. Lighting and thunder no rain. Dead still and filthy air this morning. Trees and branches down here and there.
We got the same type of deal over here last night. High winds, loud thunder and some lightning, but no rain. It did cool off. It actually got down to 77 degrees last night, which is the coolest it's been in weeks. Currently it's 104 degrees, so the cool weather didn't last. I didn't think it would haha This heat wave is something else. I can't wait for Autumn. Sick of this sh!t. I'm getting fat because all I do is sit around inside all damn day. =-D

We got the same type of deal over here last night. High winds, loud thunder and some lightning, but no rain. It did cool off. It actually got down to 77 degrees last night, which is the coolest it's been in weeks. Currently it's 104 degrees, so the cool weather didn't last. I didn't think it would haha This heat wave is something else. I can't wait for Autumn. Sick of this sh!t. I'm getting fat because all I do is sit around inside all damn day. =-D
It’s this hot every year here and I think there too….?

Thunder storm question. Anyone ever seen a storm with double flashes of lightening repeatedly? I don't think I have ever seen a double flash before. We had a storm that was a distance away. I was out in the field on a tractor and saw repeated double flashes. It looked ominous and I know about lightening strikes far from the storm so I headed in. We did catch the edge of the storm. Turns out the center was a very violent thunderstorm.

@Cobleskill Typically, when you see two flashes simultaneously, it's actually began as one flash and ended branching into two separate, but equally as energetic directions; but because of the dense cloud cover, it's difficult to see the point of origin, so it looks like a "double flash." I'm not saying that it's impossible to have two separate bolt of lightning occur simultaneously fom two separate points of origin, but I would want to rule out the aforementioned first scenario beforehand. In that video I shared, you can see multiple quick flashes of lightning, almost strobing in the sky. That's because the air is so dry in Arizona and it promotes a high static environment, so one lightning flash gets bounced around to multiple locations in the sky, sometimes finishing on the ground. It's not the result of one strike per flash...that would be a TON of flashes. At least that's my understanding of lightning. I'm not a meteorologist by any means. I just read a lot about everything.

Smoky here the last couple of days. No fires real close, just regional stuff collecting. Forecast to blow out tomorrow sometime in the afternoon.

Been much cooler yesterday and today than earlier in the week and before. Upper 40's at night, upper 70's daytime highs.

Finally, after six weeks of waiting, I have exactly a ONE DAY window to go climbing tomorrow before the 100-plus degree weather recommences and I will not squander it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230820-112954.png
    Screenshot_20230820-112954.png
    421.5 KB · Views: 3
In Pasadena taking care of the grandson while Hurricane Hilary dumps 2 - 4 inches. So far it has been a nice flow, steady rain allowing more of it to percolate and less to run off. East of here is getting more intense rain.

IMG_6278.jpg

Sunny and 73 this afternoon.

First week of Spring and a few nice days but a cold change coming Friday, so looks like I'll have the fire going again. Haven't lit it for two weeks.

Not a real cold winter, and the coldest night recorded in Australia this year was just up the road a bit.
-10.8. It's only 200ft higher there and it was -9 here.

360170151_2709345719208590_3423208030985468939_n.jpg

Toasty, humid with a painful side of "hot as balls." Clouds don't exist in Arizona; they are something akin to fable and whimsy. Believe it or not, this forecast shows distinct improvement.

Screenshot_20230906-155236.png

Real summer finally came this week. To celebrate, all my clients need something from me as opposed to just staying home and watching Babylon5 like I was gonna do. So far, the work hasn't been too strenuous, but I'd rather have been home. it was about 97° where I was working today. Supposed to be 95° tomorrow.

90s tv series. Never saw it before, so I thought I'd check it out. I'm really enjoying it. I also started watch Stargate SG1. That one isn't so good, and I might bail on it. Every episode is about the same with that one. Go some place that's kind of earth-like, shit happens, shit gets fixed, episode ends. Characters are fairly one dimensional.

Back