What other Jobs have you done?

There is, or maybe was, a big market for rebuilt generators, alternators, and starters. They have to be broken down into all the components to start the process. One gets quick at breaking them down, knowing where to whack is a highly refined skill. :lol:

Everything inside a rebuilt is pretty much made new or new replacements. The bearings were brand new, at least in those days. I don't think you were giving up much by going rebuilt over new.

Stephen are'n forgetting working for a certain bath-robed old gentleman?

Stig, we've got time, indulge us.

As for me, I'll see what I can remember. I know there are a few I've tried to block the memory of.

Paper route.
Cleaning office buildings.
Pool guy.
Youth Conservation Corp. That was a great experience that I highly recommend.
Dish washer/ pizza chef/ shift manager at Straw Hat Pizza.
College paint crew, painting the dorms.
Davis Fire Crew(wildland fire), where I met my wife.
Photographer for a college publication.
Photography aid at the College craft barn.
Picked tomatoes for a week on an Organic farm.
Waiter at an assisted living center. Worst job ever.
Clerk and cashier at a hardware store. I wore shorts all year long. After I left they changed the dress code so that folks could only where shorts when temps rose above 80 degrees.
Cashier at The Davis Food Co-op
RV detailer
Hot Shot firefighter
English teacher in Japan
Ground man for some truly horrible tree services.
Helicopter rappeller for the BLM
Then in 1999 I quit fire and decided to do tree work until I figured out what I wanted to do with my life. Still working on that.

Everything inside a rebuilt is pretty much made new or new replacements. The bearings were brand new, at least in those days. I don't think you were giving up much by going rebuilt over new.

It depends on the quality of the rebuilder. A lot of them are crapola. My son put a rebuilt starter on his Tempo. The car broke down quite a ways from home. Bad fuel pump. I was there and helped till I was sure he had it under control. I get home and the phone rings. Starter isn't working. I drive back. He has it out already. I took it apart - no pivot pin on the solenoid that engages the drive gear. How it ever worked like that for a couple months I don't know. New one for free, just the hassle of doing it over. Even NAPA rebuilt parts can be shaky. Good help is hard to find.

Unthinkable! Man, why do a rebuild if it ism't done right?

That sounds like an interesting gig.

If you don't mind grease. The old starters, etc,.can be pretty gunked up, and the supply of them can be endless. A virtual mountain before your eyes at 2-3 in the morning.

Sat on babies.
Busboy
Greenhouse worker
window washer
case worker for developmentally disabled and/ or mentally ill adults
bike messenger
wilderness therapy instructor/ guide aka hoods in the woods
conservation corp supervisor/ fleet and equipment maintenance manager
arborist

Sounds good to me, MB, but where I worked, disassembly first then clean. Probably pretty standard. Ah the grease isn't so bad, on those car parts it is mostly fairly dry caked.

Dad and I started doing stump grinding when I was 12.
Worked at a tree farm (wholesale nursery) on weekends from 14-15/16
Worked for an industrial maintenance/HVAC company two spring breaks and a summer at 15
Started doing my tree thing at the month before I turned 17.
Combined the tree and stump companies when I was a month shy of 20.

Think that's it for me.

Worked in the ghetto on crappy rent houses for family rent business, everything from the sewer to the roof - sucked horribly
Landscaper - Worked for multiple mow, blow, and go type outfits and then started my own - heaven compared to rent houses
Hotal Maintenance guy - boring
Landscape contractor - planted stuff, dug holes for trees and laid sod, chiropractors love these guys
Re-mounted used ambulance boxes on new chassis and built fire rescue type trucks - too many wires
Landman for a gas/oil broker - 9 months of hell in dimly lit basement of a courthouse
Worked at 4000 acre exotic ranch fixing fence and setting coyote snares, also cut hay - awesome but didnt pay
Currently a tree guy for the last 7 years but looking to add to the list....

Hmm,lets see,sheep shearer,carpenter,pipefitter/plumber,auto mechanic,welder ,furniture salesman,truck driver, HVAC ,construction electrician -foreman-general foreman-field superintendant .Ex navy sonar tech on nuke subs .

Currently for the last 22 years industrial electrician doing basically about the same as E except I don't have a degree .More robotics and CNC machinery and computer operated automation than any thing .

The saws and what little actual tree work is just an interest and mainly just because it needs done if for no other reason .

Grew up working on a broiler farm. Hired on with a local grocery store right after high school. Hired on with Asplundh a month after my 18th b'day. Climbed 5 years, ran a crew for 2 1/2 years. Quit and went into business for myself at 25. Work was slow so I started a roofing business to go alongside my tree business. That was 18 1/2 years ago, and I've been going at it for myself ever since. Last three years have been predominately tree work. Oh, I did help frame several houses during slow times, during the early years.....

Once reading the bio or autobio of the famous actor, Errol Flynn, he once had a job biting the balls off of cattle...or maybe it was sheep? It's unclear if that had anything to do with his reputation as a ladies' man.

Last edited by a moderator:
Civilian military service in Ivory Coast, in a laboratory for preservation and in vitro multiplication of oil palm.
Short contract in a R&D lab to enhance reliability of a small filling machine for aerosol cans (care and hairstyling foams, hairsprays ...).
Short contract in an other R&D lab for a new gas treatment in fruits storage.
Long job in the first R&D lab for developing and testing (chemical and physical compatibilities, customer use) all the packagings involved in the hair care products (bottles, aerosol cans, jar, packets, tubes, caps, application accessories...).
Third R&D lab, specialized in aerosol cans, pumps and triggers for a big hair care and cosmetic company. Ended soon because a manager is all they wanted, and I'm not, absolutely not.
Nothing for a time.
Now, tree climber. And I love that.

Back