What hard hat for..?

I do! I used that when I was a kid, and was thinking about it somewhat recently. Had a distinctive smell. I'd like to get it again just to revisit childhood.

Worked wonders in those teenage years. All that extra body oil trying to make greasy hair and pimples.
I used to condition and blow dry and style and all that shat when I wore 1000.00 suits to business/board meetings once upon a time. Oh, and dates. Wearing a helmet and being married with children changes that in a man. Ahhh life's changes.

Once upon a time, i was. Opened a branch in another state for an office machine sales, service and supply. The main corp went belly up. I kept it going a couple years. I would have to meet with corporate BODs to sell the big accounts.
We also had family businesses when I was a young adult.
I used to dress pretty snazzy for my antique business as well. I could be seen in a 1914 all wool 3 piece with watch, fob, cane and bowler walking down Newbury street in Boston. Helping promote local shops I did business with in private showings of antique and vintage jewelry.

I guess one could say, Ive sported many hats over the years.
My main careers have been food service, construction (plumbing) (meetings with Del Webb were more casual), and now tree work.
I have quite a list of other things Ive dabbled in as second jobs and inbetweens.
I was groomed by my entrepreneur bio father to manage his business's and sales. The plumbing thing was my Step father and grandfather. I have college background in computer science, but before windows and apple desktops.
I have lived a life of variety :lol:

So for all us with a silver mane...next time your missus goes to the salon ask her to bring some 'purple shampoo' home. You know that slight yellow tinge you get after exposure to sun, sap, oil, and the elements? The purple shampoo gets rid of it and 'Voila!!! Shiny, silky silver locks once more!
You can have that one for free, Merry Christmas.

PS...don't use it every day or you'll be one of the 'blue rinse' crowd!!! Just now and then. :)

More black that silver. I just use what ever is on hand i've even used bar soap in a pinch. Soap is soap.

I've still got a DOS 486 I press into service once in a while. I have to admit the hard drive has got me nervous. Ought to do a 100% reconstructable back up soon. It hosts a special I/O card. Modern equipment could replace it, but it works for it's purpose. Win 3.1 was new.

I have one staying over a wardrobe. I wanted to use it a long time ago for managing the house's functions, but never took the time. And I know I never will. To late, no time to play with it and nothing today can work with that, both software and hardware, at least to my knowledge. And I lost the few of what I knew at the time.
I have a win98 which I put together myself, still in use, actually barely working since a few weeks. The power supply on the mother board seems to be shot. It's very annoying because it has the plans for my house, the daughter's carpentry, the new sub-frame for my chipper and many other things. It doesn't know how to use the usb plug and the dvd burner is acting. It's printer is dead by under use. Sooo... I have a problem.

The "new" one is a xp3, a good one at the time. But now, more and more softwares don't even know it. No upgrade anymore of course. Plenty of sites on internet don't display properly or even work at all. My firefox version is in trouble with the new softwares. The the last automatic upgrades available some years ago put a mess each time one came, almost daily, so I had to disable that. It has some memory's troubles and the dvd is shot (so I can't transfer my plans anyway).
And for the intranet, both computers know the other one but they don't want to communicate. Bastards.

It's more than the time for a new computer but I worry how to transfer my files.

Pull the hd on the win98 box, and put it in the xp box, copy files over. If by "memory troubles" you mean it's bluescreening or locking up due to faulty ram, test and remove the bad module, then copy the files over. Computers that old have one foot in the grave, and the other on a banana peel. If there's valuable data on them it should be removed sooner than later.

I was surprised to learn that this massive global corporation I work for had to buy computers on eBay to keep certain processes running, and that some eBay sellers were very well aware of that. So these sellers were getting a few hundred bucks for an old computer that would run Windows NT.

The plant I’m at recently upgraded the distributed control system to something much more modern, but they’re probably going to try to get 20 years or so out of this system now.

In a pinch if you have a motherboard that will accept a hardware connection to your hard drive, you can use Linux CD or whatever form to do file scanning, recovery and copying. Last thing I used was photorec but it found word files excel etc too. My old machines have internet and connectivity problems too. Its been years since I tried to extract stuff onto a scsi zip disc which can go cross platform with no network at all. A scsi or other (maybe usb?) adapter card enables i/o on an orphaned motherboard. This old machinery doesn't even have usb 1.

I also have a weird dual pentium 133 box that I've never booted. I figure there was no software that could harness the dual cpu's, so there it sits.

Holy hard hat derail Batman!

Not sure how many of you are familiar with “Big Stick” loaders...PTO-driven winch loader with a pivoting boom? Anywho, our area was covered with homemade versions of them used for “pulpwooding”, back when the pulp yards would buy 5’ wood. One guy’s wife worked with him. They were under the truck working on something when her ponytail got wrapped on the PTO shaft. It near scalped her.

That's a nasty image.

Logging, in all it's many forms, has always been a dangerous occupation. In my over 30 years with the US Forest Service, I spent plenty of time around landings and out on harvest units...scary shit was the day in and out norm.

What?...the former is physical danger, and the latter is mental??
:D

Sorry...I know absolutely nothing about dairy farming. I await better knowledge, please.
:)

I think
What?...the former is physical danger, and the latter is mental??
:D

Sorry...I know absolutely nothing about dairy farming. I await better knowledge, please.
:)

I think the danger in dairy farming is the proximity of very heavy beasts who can inflict serious damage unknowingly.
Slurry pits, slip hazards, huge piles of feed, tractors, the dangers are manifold.
Also that many farmers spend their working day alone with heavy machinery (especially PTO shafts!) so an accident that if one was working in company would be retrievable, becomes fatal.
I don’t know the figures, but I know farming is dangerous work.
My uncle was killed unhitching a trailer from a tractor, misjudged the weight distribution and the hitch flew up and hit his head.

In construction they would seek out and try to attract the farm kids, you could turn them loose on a jobsite and they won't go get hurt. They understand basics like hooking up trailers, turning wrenches, making engines work, and usually aren't afraid of work. Farming is super dangerous tho, and i would imagine a poorly setup diary farm would have multiple death traps just waiting on a victim.

Father of the fellow across the street farmed in Illinois, and lost an arm repairing a thresher. Amish fellow I knew lost an arm in a similar way. Farm equipment can eat humans if not given respect and distance.

This thread has made the rounds!

Was a longhair back in the 1970s, but luckily never got it caught up in much.
Prell was pretty common, as was Breck Shampoo. Anyone remember that?

Mad magazine had a piece about the Beatles back in the late 1960s iirc, and the Fab Four were advertising a Breck-look-alike shampoo bottle Mad magazine named "Blech Shampoo"...

Thanks for the insights into farming hazards. I sort of knew all that, it was the dairy farming that Mick specifically mentioned that perked my interest. I know more, now.

Back