what does my new ms200t need??

PCTREE

Treehouser
OK just picked up a brand new 200t and was wondering about what I should do for break in and then to get best performance????

Thanks

Remove the muffler screen/ baffle and throw it away. Tune the carb so the saw runs correctly without running too lean. The adjustment limiter on the high speed jet is just a collar that slides over the screw. It can be popped off with needle nose pliers or even a screwdriver.

That's it. I have three, ranging from 1.5-5 years old and all three run great. Waiting for an extended period before removing the muffler screen accomplishes nothing except making the saw run hotter and slower during break in. Do it now.

OK just picked up a brand new 200t and was wondering about what I should do for break in and then to get best performance????

Thanks

Your saw needs to be sent to me for 6 months. I will do all the breaking in thats necessary.
:)

mag wheels, man. 8)

mag.jpg

A 200 is a good little saw with nothing done to it other than what has already been suggested.

I have one setting the garage I'm going to port but I'm just a little on the eccentric side .;)

Pull the spark arrestor, put a 63PM chain on, and a 30% light bar.
Other than that run 89 octane or better, good oil, and keep the air filter clean.

Great saws!

Porting doesnt get much more out of these saws.

Tell it to whomever you'd like. Compare the % gain of a ported 200T with most ANY other saw and the #'s are drastically lower. The 200T is pretty much screaming from the factory.

I am not sayng that porting isnt going to yield results, just not what I want to throw my 2-500 dollars after!

Tell it to whomever you'd like. Compare the % gain of a ported 200T with most ANY other saw and the #'s are drastically lower. The 200T is pretty much screaming from the factory.

I am not sayng that porting isnt going to yield results, just not what I want to throw my 2-500 dollars after!

And how, pray tell, do you know that, Bull? Have you spoken to Craig or Ed?

The gains were just as impressive as with other Stihls, as I recall. That same can't be said for the Husky climb saws or the 192T, due to their design which includes half the crankshaft housing in the bottom end and half in the cylinder. So, impossible to mill the jug to change squish and compression.

That said, I'd not port a 200T either, as they are usually plenty fast...though not as fast as my now dead 335 which only had a ported muffler and cost me $40, shipping included....and served my well for three years. As well, Ed said that heat might be more of an issue than with a stock 200T, not due to the ported muffler, which allows cooler running, but due to the high rpm's the saw runs, and the ability for a modded one to be set even higher.

My next saw will be a Jonsy 2139T...hoping it can outperform my 200T...

I can't speak for Ed but if I recall correctly he said they could run hot on extended runs times . That makes sense if you think about it .

020 or 200 ,you can make hem boogey . In the portal is a piped either 20 or 200 which was done by Adam Clarck some time ago .As understand it that thing was a screamer ,not an everyday work saw though .

Now I'm not saying to rush right out and port one because they are fine the way they are .I am saying you can make them talk if you are of a mind to .

As for 2 to 5 hundred in it,I likely will have the price of a set of rings in mine .If they are O.K .,just my time .:P

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
OK so I pulled out the muffler screen and ran it today and man was I happy. I screwed up this winter and decided to try the solo 637. It cut ok for a while but man it just keeps breaking, so finally on friday I had had enough and splurged on the 200. The solo is almost half the price but who gives a hoot when they keep breaking down??? Does a ported saw last as long as a regular one and where can you pick up a modded mufler?

I have spoken to a few builders about the 200T. They ball felt the same way. Put your money elsewhere. They dont have the same % gainsand reliability of other ported Stihls and big Huskies etc etc.

I cant speak for Ed as I havent ever dealt with him. I can speak for the guys I have saws built by.

AL

You are right! I wish I could do half of what you do with a saw!

you might also want to think about extractors and a spoiler for those fast descents.

I was looking at the Solo's as well, but the money fell in my lap, so it was a 200t no brainier for me!!

I have also heard the 200t doesn't respond as well to mods. Yes, it will respond, but not with the gains normally associated with modding a saw. I think that is where the misunderstanding lies.
Most saws gain 25% with a muffler mod, and another 30ish% with a good port job. Thats a lot of gains.
A 200t might get 15% with both.

You used to be able to buy modded mufflers from Walkers, bu not sure if they still do that. There used to be some guys that were very good at it on AS as well, but I think most of them have been either run off or locked out. I am sure Ed would do one for you, but you'd be better off buying a new muffler and shipping it to him due to the length of time it will be gone.

Back