What Do You Think of This Truck?

Old Monkey

Treehouser
I was looking for a utility truck like my old boss used to have in California when a came upon the very same truck. It was a good truck back in 2003 when I was driving it every day but it has probably seen a lot of work and abuse since then. I would not pay the listed price in the ad. What do you guys think of the engine? At 175,000 does it have anymore life in it? At what price would it be worthwhile? I am looking to have a truck to carry more tools to job sites and to haul my stump grinder with. Any thoughts you guys have would be appreciated.

http://www.californiatreeequipment.com/photos/pickup_truck/f350_truck_004.html

Buying this would let me expense a trip back to see my family too.

Right now lots of trucks on the market, Darin.

Wait a bit more and get the truck you want. That truck is a gas hog.

yup, no way I would look at a 460 with the fuel price of today, what do you need it for D? Could you get the box on the Fuso modded for less than the $5600?

I prefer those service bodies on a small truck rather than the regular style pick-up. Most of those bodies have trays in them. I rip those out as tree gear is bulkier and just won't work the same as they do for small tools. If you think you need those trays with the little compartments make sure they are adjustable for your needs. If they are fixed in place odds are you will doing the same as I have done in the past tearing them out and just discarding them or put the trays or shelves from the truck in the shop for nuts, bolts and other odds and ends. Those style trucks are known as a plumber's truck in the car dealer trade. Service or utility body is a foreign word to those guys.

I'd also go with a smaller engine.

I have one similar to the one you posted the picture of. Presently it is out of service because of that stupid hydralic clutch in it and looking for a replacement in 4x4 also with a plow and a auto trans. I'll transfer the body of my old truck body if I need to.

Those service bodies keep your tools organized and out of the back of the truck and out of sight to peering eyes. Being able to lock your tools up when you have to leave the truck for a long period of time is one of the many features those service bodies offer. I am able to have a good assortment of mechanic's tools for on the job mickey mouse repairs if a bigger truck goes down on the job.I am also able to carry just about all my climbing and light rigging gear for small jobs in addition to about 3-4 saws with fuel and bar oil. I also tow a stumper with mine along with some hand tools for doing stumps stowed in one of those boxes. Really handy. Plus for small jobs you can haul some chunks of wood and some stump debris. You will be able to cram alot stuff in those boxes and all those tools will be with you even if you don't think you will need them at least they are there and on the job should you need them.

I bought a beater Chevy one ton last year with one of those service bodies that has a lift gate on it. That truck has been extremely handy. The boxes are bigger and roomier and the inside width is wider and longer than the utility body on a pick-up. I can fit more more wood and tree scrap on this truck than I could on the pick-up. The lift gate is really nice to lift and load my generator for the GRCS and my tree dolly not to mention big pieces of wood if our chipper doesn't devour everything. Anything to save my tired old back. I still have to do some fixin on the truck and customize the boxes more but I like the one ton version much better than a pick-up.

Go for it Darin I think you will like that body style. The one you pictured looks like a Reading body. The top tool box and that pipe thing is a custom add-on. I have always been meaning to get some big diameter PVC pipe and mount them to the top of the box on my truck in some fashion to carry pole pruning tools and gives you a way to lash down a load if you need to.

The utility body is a great idea, the 460 gas motor not so much. You can expect about 6-8 mpg in that rig. On the other hand, I know guys with diesel 1-tons getting 15-17 mpg with minor modifications (aftermarket intake, dual exhaust and chip).

GAS HOG! for its size 4-6 really sucks, dang. You could get a big DT466 that gets better fuel mileage.

what place will it fill for you in your operation D? at $2000 it seems that it could be a once in a while used vehicle but will it smother you with maintenance, storage, insurance and operation costs?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good points all. I need a truck that can occasionally pull my chipper, 4,600 lbs., tow my stump grinder to job sites and have some permanent tool storage. The truck in that ad IS my old boss's truck and he told me to name my price but I am in no hurry. There are a lot of trucks coming on the market here, this one was just a known quantity that had the added bonus of letting me visit family on the company's dime.

I like to hear what you guys think because I have no interest in engines or trucks other than what they can do for me. Its always funny when people want to tell what engine they have under there hood because it means nothing to me.

Good points all. I need a truck that can occasionally pull my chipper, 4,600 lbs., tow my stump grinder to job sites and have some permanent tool storage. The truck in that ad IS my old boss's truck and he told me to name my price but I am in no hurry. There are a lot of trucks coming on the market here, this one was just a known quantity that had the added bonus of letting me visit family on the company's dime.

I like to hear what you guys think because I have no interest in engines or trucks other than what they can do for me. Its always funny when people want to tell what engine they have under there hood because it means nothing to me.

on those parameters it would probably be a fair deal at $2000 or so, the asking price is a bit steep but if you can make it up in a couple jobs or so, why not go for it anyways? :)

RE the engine size etc, I would think it might help you estimate operating costs. I just got rid of my 95 f250 with a 351 V8, fuel HOG, if you arent driving it often or far then that is still irrelevant. :D

I'd say you'd get closer to 10-12 mpg driving reasonably with a 460. A 460 is a great engine and if you can run it on propane like I can around here it's quite economical.

I think propane is a Canuckian thing, I've only seen 2 propane powered trucks in my life and both of them were for sale extremely cheap because they were propane powered. They might work if you own a propane company but otherwise fuel availability is practically nonexistant. Do you go to the place that refills your bbq grill tank to fill up?

Yup and most people get their propane tanks filled at gas stations here because off the top of my head there's still atleast half a dozen places in Vernon alone to get propane including two 24hr cardlocks. 8)

Sounds like Vernon is a great place to own a propane powered truck. ;)

For those of us in the USA, it might be a bit of a drive/hassle to fill up.

Well just saying is all :P. I love the 460 because it runs great on propane which is cheap compared to gas here. Couldn't take y'all slamming that poor truck:D. One ton 4x4 I'd love a truck just like that as another plow/utility truck.

I drove that truck quite a bit, but I wouldn't buy it.

The new one is a powerstroke with less than 100K miles, sweet ride. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0170_640x480.jpg
    IMG_0170_640x480.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0351.JPG
    IMG_0351.JPG
    324.9 KB · Views: 8
2k is a good price but with those miles your gonna work on it alot. even if the engine has been rebuilt the drive train will be a continual problem. california is full of great deals right now darin, stuff they cant smog must be sold to out of staters. shop around or go to an auction. seriously unbeleivable deals

Propane is a good idea, over here you can get a little pump and filter kit to fill your vehicle from red propane cylinders - makes for very cheap motoring, and cylinders are available anywhere.
Having said that, I would not touch a vehicle that was'nt a diesel. The kind of truck Darin needs, if bought in the UK would do about 25 - 35mpg.

Back