What Do You Think of This Truck?

Utilities are always selling their service trucks. 2 grand is not a bad price.

You should understand Darin, that you DO NOT know the history of this truck. Maybe at one time you did, but not now.

Skwerl, propane is easily available in rural areas. Most gas stations have a propane tank to fill up BBQ tanks.
Propane runs a bit hotter, and the on board storage tank takes up alot of room. With a utility body, space is limited. You would have to buy a special tank to fit in the back of the bed. The bed on a utility is very narrow.

I'm in rare form as of late Darin, but I think you are a fool if you buy that truck at any cost!
175k on a 460, which "everybody and their dog has driven" is an insane amount of miles! I have a buddy (ASE cert. master tech) that builds them for fun, has one in everything he owns pretty near. He does good to get 75k out of them. He has a big monster mud truck (38" tires) that he hasn't even started in over a year because of fuel prices.
I think you might be doing good to get that sucker home honestly! If you do, it will nickel and dime you to death!! This will go out, that wil go out and the days you need it to run and pull you're chipper, it wont. Then it's another trip to the parts store. With you admitidly not being mechanicly inclined, that makes it that much worse! You are buying someone elses headache!
Wait it out a bit, truck prices are dropping like rocks right now. You will find a newer model truck that suits you're needs better and the money you will make off that truck will easily pay for the trip to see the family.

Propane runs a bit hotter, and the on board storage tank takes up alot of room. With a utility body, space is limited. You would have to buy a special tank to fit in the back of the bed. The bed on a utility is very narrow.

Atleast up here most people put the propane tanks right where the gas tank was. In my pick-up the front gas tank is original and the rear gas tank was removed and replaced with 'belly tanks'. No storage/box space was lost at all. On my 1 ton dump the propane tanks are just mounted on the sides under the deck no problemo as well.

Propane does run hotter and a improperly maintained/tuned system can give you nightmares in cold temperatures. Also propane pollutes alot less than gas or diesel for what it's worth.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well I don't think I'll buy it. Thanks for the info guys. If anyone sees a Toyota Tundra in a utility configuration, let me know.

Darin, I sold my 1980 F250 utility bed last month for $1000.( I think it took 36 hours in the Walmart parking lot to sell) I used it for what you describe for about 12 years. It had a 351 and got about 9 mpg. It served me well. I just replaced it with a '96 F150 FI300 6cyl flatbed. I need to take a pic to post. I'll need to add a toolbox to the '96 but it is proving to be a nice little stumper scooter. I don't have true documentation on milage but I appear to be getting 15 mpg with it. -I paid a whopping $1500.

I don't keep accurate numbers either but 9MPG out of a 351 is pretty sad. I think I probably get that still while plowing with mine.:lol:

I always thought that looked like a swell setup John, careful, LJ might get wind of your liquidation, he is prone to getting in on the equipment sales! :)

Its a nice set up to be certain. I am, however, allergic to vans.

I used to be opposed to the idea of a van myself, but after working out of one, I would never go back to a pick up truck again.
Not for tree work anyway.

Is this why you don't like vans Darin?

Attachments

• free_candy_van.jpg
    free_candy_van.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 24
That brings back horrible memories. Thanks Frans.

I love that van - cold even roll a stumpgrinder up in there if needed.

Back