What Do You Carry While Climbing - Basic Gear?

I’m not sure, but looks like your nephew bought a Vega saddle. Hope it works out well for him, it’s mad how many choices there are in saddles and ropes now, I’d be stumped if the forums weren’t doing a bunch of homework for me.

I love a fine Japanese handsaw. Got a nice 15” Silky Tsurugi now, so I think I’m gonna find a fine tooth blade for my old dull Gomtaro.

I always have a handsaw and a loop runner with carabiner. Everything else depends on the job plan.

I’m not sure, but looks like your nephew bought a Vega saddle. Hope it works out well for him, it’s mad how many choices there are in saddles and ropes now, I’d be stumped if the forums weren’t doing a bunch of homework for me.

I love a fine Japanese handsaw. Got a nice 15” Silky Tsurugi now, so I think I’m gonna find a fine tooth blade for my old dull Gomtaro.

I always have a handsaw and a loop runner with carabiner. Everything else depends on the job plan.
nothing better in the world than a sharp silky. i know when i need to change my blade when i start using my chainsaw for little branches. I average about 6 weeks a blade. i love the gomtaros for fine pruning, but my zubat is my all around saw. i can't stand the way that chainsaw cuts look. never clean always a bit jagged.

nothing better in the world than a sharp silky... i can't stand the way that chainsaw cuts look. never clean always a bit jagged.

Yeah there is... a sharp MS 150. Cuts just as smooth as a large tooth silky but faster and with less effort.

I have had nothing but good luck with the Stihl 150, Mick. A large part of what I like about it is how smooth it cuts.

for me, lugging around a 150 is not less effort than a silky. for removals sure... but climbing, balancing, out on the tips for weight reduction tip pruning, I'm not going to argue with what works for you but i couldn't do it. handsaw shouldnt be effort, if there is more effort than moving your arm back and forth, the saw is dull.

Yep.
And this being the 'House, we don't get on each other's case for choosing differently.

We save that for when we are discussing Trump.

To me, a true sign of a rookie climber is they carry everything but the kitchen sink in that tree.
Check my pictures in the "working pictures" thread and you'll see the same is true of the rookie faller :lol:
I wasn't even bringing wedges with me on that job.
A forwarder with a friendly operator works great for pushing over back leaners.
"I don't see the kitchen sink but I think you're wearing its water," is what I say to over racked climbers sweating and dripping with frivolous burden.

Back