What Do You Carry While Climbing - Basic Gear?

Anything you do in a tree, except cabling, involves cutting so I would think the handsaw would be a staple because it may be able to do all the cutting needed or it may aid in doing small cuts while the chain saw gets all the bigger stuff

I have found that it is faster and overall less effort to use a chainsaw for all my cutting, even the small stuff. If it was easier to use a handsaw, I would use that.

Sounds like you must have a batt saw in your arsenal

What is always on my saddle no matter ?? , two safeties with Gibbs's and non locker rope snaps , three slings w steel non lockers , handsaw , and a folding rigging knife in case of emergency. Everything else is job depending.

Always a handsaw even on removals... in case you run out of gas etc.

I have my climb rig whether it's the akimbo RR or tautline...

Foot ascender.

A couple webbing slings for any kind of abuse.. redirect, zipline, rigging,...

I always have a pocket knife or leatherman in my saw pants... or a scrench if using that husky electric.

Usually my 30’ lanyard with a Trango Cinch but I swap it for a shorter flipline with a rope grap for pine and spruce.
Handsaw, HMS biner or figure 8 with biner, climbing line with cord and pulley or an SRT device, foot ascender, sometimes knee ascender, probably a loop runner or two with biners, helmet and CAT tourniquet. Sometimes a 2nd climbing line with device or cord and micro pulley. Foot ascender and usually knee ascender or gaffs. If I’m wearing spurs I use them. Still set a line from the ground usually, especially if it’s fat at the bottom and got some big unions to get past. Spurs and DdRT is fun. I’d like to figure out a solid design to make my own spur mounted ascender for Bashlin aluminums and Buck Titanium. Preferably without drilling into the climber.

Hmm... i wasn't thinking of things like foot or knee ascenders. I put those on almost always.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I’d like to figure out a solid design to make my own spur mounted ascender for Bashlin aluminums and Buck Titanium. Preferably without drilling into the climber.
Got me interested, so I was looking at pictures. Would having only a vertical support element work with an ascender? I was thinking a loop(paracord/steel?) that goes around the spike, and another strap(nylon/steel?) that gets screwed into the climber mounts using the provided holes.

Apart from SRT stuff and 150t, I carry as standard, first aid kit (permanent on the back of my harness), long lanyard, silky saw, two loop runners with non locking biners, and two or three spare locking biners one of which is a revolver.
That's it, anything else can be sent up.

The climbing work I did in natural resource management was so diverse, there is no basic list for me except my harness, a lanyard, and my helmet. Everything else was task determined.

Hand Saw, 2511, two triact steel biners, One 50Kn Screw lock large D biner, Positioning lanyard or flip line, either is 18- 20 foot. A revolver biner. Figure 8. Short FS that Nice guy Dave made for me. I use that if I need the FS once I am in the crown and will have to retrieve it or; use it as a redirect while still on SRT. If I need anything else in my plan, it either comes up with me, or is sent up.
My climbing style often switches between SRT and Ddrt as needed for spreading crown trees. I do a lot of them.
Now, that little gen David made me. It has a Pirate Orca Biner and a small ring on it. Retrieves beautifully. It can also be set up as a retrievable FC in SRT set up by running the revolver biner on the ring. Thus, in line capability.

long double end lanyard, a few lengths of webbing loops, short throw line with bag, extra prussik cord, bandage wrap all stuffed in a ditty bag at the back of the saddle. climbing saw, bottle water, large folding silky saw, 3 extra carabiners, pocket knife and saw scrench clipped on saddle. Helmet and grippy gloves.

Long double end lanyard stuffed in a ditty bag, first aid kit, handled ascender with a revolver, epple hook, throw weight and crab, and a loopie with crab. Always have hand saw on leg (very large silky) and obviously a foot and knee ascender. Depending on the accent il wear a chest roller box.

I do, pretty much. I use it that much. Remember I'm part time at best, and I'm bigger than most. 195 to 210 depending on the season, and basically only climb spreading hardwoods. A couple ounces isn't even noticed.

My tool belt i wear at work is significantly heavier, Occidental leather, drywall pouch for my hand tools, 2 bag bolt bag, hammer loop, tape measure loop, and a rudedog sows ear for my pin wrenches. Suspenders. Tools depending on exactly what I'm doing, but channel locks, tape, level, 6 foot rule, small pin wrench, wedge, materials in the bolt bag, pencil and markers.... you get the idea lol

Last edited:
Bro, perfect answer, I get it.

I can imagine, and I could google it, but I'd prefer to hear you elaborate on what is Occidental leather (my guess is the really nice, thick, best cut of leather) and rude dog sows ear (Im guessing more highest quality, thick leather with holes in it to holster them big box wrenches with a round tapering handle instead of a regular wrench handle.

Yup. Occidental leather is about the highest quality tool belts you can buy without going full custom, pretty sure it's buffalo leather. Since i weld a bunch and work with fire, i only use full leather. My drywall pouch is about 14 years old to put in perspective, and has done millions of dollars work. Rudedog is top shelf ironworker gear, same thing, just because Occidental doesn't make a sows ear (exactly right, for spud wrenches). Most fitters don't wear tool belts, and i won't if I'm pipelining or working a big job, but for small local contractor stuff i do because it makes my life that much easier, and i hate stuff in my pockets.

Back