Weekend of ham radio

• Thread starter NeTree
  • Start date
  • Replies 69
  • Views 6K
Maybe I could talk with one, give him your call sign. Is that all they would need, assuming they have the power?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
And the band and frequency and time to make contact.

It just takes some good communication skills, Squish. Tuck in my shirt and ask politely if they might like to talk with someone like me in America? The bird isn't a recognized sign here...ask me how I know.

Some folks are still hoarding swords, though. :wall:

Lol, I fingered the crane op I use occassionally in traffic the other day. He cut me off on purpose though.

Jay, I'm not sure of the amateur rules there, but in the US as long as the licensed operator is next to you, you can talk on the radio under the licensees call.

I have a good friend here who spent a number of months in the states, riding from west to east. I think he has forgotten just about everything he picked up while there, but he flips me the bird sometimes. It seems to have made a strong impression on him.

Sounds good, Erik, that would be fun.

Is there a 1wpm category? I might get that fast! Didn't I mention already that I don't think CW will be my thing? :)

Actually Andy, the slower one was 6 words per minute; that's as slow as the keyer in the ICOM goes.

I hear ya, I'd like to learn it, just because. There is a test the 30th, but I don't think I'll have the finances for it. It's also coming up on winter and sitting in the truck isn't appealing. Again, finances so I doubt I'll get a base antenna up either before the weather turns.
I'll upgrade someday, I'll learn CW someday, it's just time.

Lucky for you, the CW isn't a requirement to upgrade now. No need for a huge antenna for HF, either. :)

I've actually been looking at the verticals Erik, like the Butternut's and such. But most likely will just put up a di-pole across the yard at an angle, try to split the trajectory of it all directions.
No machine Brian, you put the headphones on listen and decipher it, the reply with a keyer, like this: http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/morse/3218.html or any of the other flavors they come in.
It's a true art form! Same way they would send telegraphs back in the old west, just no wire.

Just like Andy said, Brian.

With practice, it sounds just like spoken words.

Here's your name, "Butch". :) slowed down to 20 words per minute. Don't listen for each dash and dot; listen for the "sound" of the letter.

B _...
U .._
T _
C _._.
H ....

http://www.netree.org/butch.wma

Back