Weed whacker heads

I use nylon blades and found generic on flea bay for a fraction of the cost Stihl gets ,like 50 to the bag .The last bump head I had came apart near my driveway headed north at about 100 miles per hour .As far as I know it might be in Canada by now .
As far as I know the blade heads are pretty much universal fit .What's neat about them is if you have a steady hand you can use them as an edger .

I ordered a new Stihl weed wacker about 3 years ago right after Dar passed away.I had them install a blade head right from the start which was around 20 bucks and have the string head ,never used some place in my garage .

Jay, we use the stihl. I agree with a few here, winding the string on the head is almost like an art. Let us know if you find the heads are interchangeable, I kind of doubt it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for all the help. I'll have to better concentrate on the winding. I thought I was winding well enough, but it still was getting caught.

So, you guys using the Stihl, do you always buy the Stihl string?

I've used a different brand nearly every time I think.

I've never sweated the winding much. Do it reasonably tight and in the proper direction and I've never had mine jam.

I couldn't imagine having to jam in a new string manually every time. Seems brutal.

Orange diamond line. Stihl line is good. But the diamond worked the best for us in our thick grasses and smaller brush, like berries and poison oak.

No harder than sticking your finger in your nose 😁 much easier than winding string

I use some string and have both style heads for string and the sklilsaw blade , most of my work gets done w the metal Tripod blade. Easy filing as well.

I've used a different brand nearly every time I think.

I've never sweated the winding much. Do it reasonably tight and in the proper direction and I've never had mine jam.

I couldn't imagine having to jam in a new string manually every time. Seems brutal.

It is not.
I've run string trimmers for the last 20 years.
We have a couple of hundred hours on then every years, Just put in two weeks of killing bracken ferns.

We gave up on the bump to feed types years ago.

IMO ( And that is only my opinion, backed up with lots of hours on the string trimmer) the way to go is the systen where you feed a new 9 inch line when the old one is used up.

Oregon flexiblae is good.

Don't forget that whatever line you use, you have to keep it submerged in water to prolong the life of it.

That's what Stihl recommends for the plastic knife blades on my brush trimmer too.

I had a craftsman that had a double string. The Stihl did not look as robust with just a single string so I use a bump head.

The string heads are nicer....IMHO.

Store in water? I've never heard that?

But I guess my storage technique has worked out then.

IMG_1377.jpg

That's where I finished with it last. Lol.

I'll admit to not being a pro user but keeping my farmstead smacked up would probably put me on the high end of homeowner use and abuse.

As I said before, that particular stihl trimmer pictured has never missed a beat with the bump to feed head on it. Never jammed, never not worked.

But yOu guys keep sticking your finger in your nose or whatever it is you're doing. And true, I imagine the winding of mine would be a little much for Willie. :D

I use the bump type on my stihl strimmer (strictly home use but a lot to do here)

Remove the guard and wear eye protection.

Go slow around rocks and the like, and as someone said on tall grass start high and do it in sweeps, better finish as well as preventing wrapping.

I probably wouldn't have thought to take off the guard, but I noticed that all the pros around have, so I followed their example.

Squish, you need a goat chained up out there. Goats are cool. Don't submerge it in water.

Haha. I wouldn't mind being an ass in that enclosure, i mean look at the space and the view!

The dark one sure seems ill proportioned with those thin legs below the overhang. Kinda cute though.

I'd have never owned one. They do nothing useful for us, I have a quad. I don't need a small pack animal for anything.

But, my wife had to have them. And I'll give them this. No matter how bad a day you've had. It's hard not to spend a few minutes with them and end up laughing at them in someway or other. Very personable animals.

The picture must make it look odd. They are very robust animals. Nothing remotely delicate or weak about them.

What are the patches on the mountain in the background? Is it Aspen trees or the like or just grass spots?

Just grass on the open patches and then trees. That whole side of the valley is full southern exposure and has been rangeland for decades. I can ride up there from my place, and people recreate like crazy up in the hills above there.

Th patches I think you are mistaking for aspen kind of in and around the conifers are small bluffs/cliffs actually.

IMG_1020.jpg

Back