Hard head wedges.

When my Saw Shop started stocking them regular , I asked if they are any good and worth the price. Mechanic said , "Some guys like'm , some guys don't." .... I actually like them but it's usually only one mixed in with the group. Also never failed one like that pic

Had a couple do that to me. No biggie 6 to 8 more inthe truck. They always make their money and dont owe me anything by the time that happens.
Kids finally got that last one like that free from the grey pine stump. Left it there after felling the tree. Realised I had a couple days later. Glued to the stump. Its been, 3-4 years :lol:

Was it caused by like a glancing blow or a hard strike to the edge or something?

I expect wedges to hold up to that kind of abuse anyways.

Betcha if you contact the manufacturer with that pic they’ll send you another.

Was it caused by like a glancing blow or a hard strike to the edge or something?

I expect wedges to hold up to that kind of abuse anyways.

Betcha if you contact the manufacturer with that pic they’ll send you another.
First off that is a piss poor weld glancing blow or not. I might just return that one as a defect.

Hardheads are damm good wedges.

I recall they were being field tested in the Sierra in the late 1980s.

The clank of an implement hitting metal sounded peculuiar. A fellow on the strip next to me yells out to catch my attention. I was in the middled of driving a sugar pine over, and stopped. He walked up, with some hardheads in hand. I never seen such a thing before. Try this! he hands me a couple. But by that time the tree was commited and the hardheads didn't really do much to send it on its way. But I could see where they would be bennificial.

I asked him for a couple. I would gladly pay. But he declined and said they were just in the stage of testing them in the field.

He left, and I returned to work. But over the next few days I could hear the peculiar clang of metal hitting metal in the strip next to me.

I see that once in a while.
Richard hammers on wedges like they just raped his daughter, that does take it's toll.

I've always found that no matter what the wedge, if I hit them square and true, the striking face of the axe meeting the driving end of the wedge flat to flat...they last a long time. I have said it before...I claim no great learned skill in being able to do so almost all of the time...it is just something I can do, from my very first days learning to fall trees. Hit that little target with the little end of this whacker, precisely, swinging at high speed.

Easy :).

Oh, when called for, I expect I can hammer every bit as hard as our friend Richard...I guessing I just hit more accurately, usually ;) .

All the crappy worn out wedges I have are ones I salvaged from the woods after another faller tossed them aside. They work fine for bucking, but felling real trees that require real lift takes a good set of wedges in good condition.

I find I have the exceptional ability to zero in on the wedge edges, and after very few swings, the wedge looks like it was attacked by an army of angry beavers. The only good wedges I have are the ones I haven't taken a single swing at.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
One side of the plate had a good wield but only really tacked the shank. The other wield wasn't secure on the plate. I was confused that it happened.

The weld was not hot enough to penetrate the striking plate. Obviously the weldor has no clue how to weld or set the machine properly. As I am sure Kyle will write more on this topic but in a nut shell with MIG welding you can make a nice looking weld bead but have no penetration into the metals being joined. A weldor needs to watch the molten weld puddle and make sure both pieces are liquid and the filler metal connects both puddles. If you look at where the one weld broke off of the striking plate it almost looks like it was never even welded on in the first place.

It's all about penetration boys. If it's too cold, you don't dig in the other metal, so nothing is held. Mig is fast, but new guys run it too cold most of the time, so it's often worthless. You would be amazed at how many things that just "break" do so because of improper welding.

Oh, when called for, I expect I can hammer every bit as hard as our friend Richard...I guessing I just hit more accurately, usually ;) .

When I took out the part of the house where back in 1847 pigs and cows used to live, and the old bathroom, I had some friends and the folks I work with helping out.

Our apprentice was knocking the stone wall between the old cow stable and the old toilet down with a large, longhandle maul.
He wasn't really getting anywhere, so Richard told him: " You're using the maul wrong!" took it from him and went clear through the wall and sheared the top off of the toilet, which was still in place, in one swing.

Handed the maul back to the apprentice and said: " Do it like that!"

So Burnham, old buddy, I'll have to see both of you side by side, to judge that.

Last edited:
I find I have the exceptional ability to zero in on the wedge edges, and after very few swings, the wedge looks like it was attacked by an army of angry beavers. The only good wedges I have are the ones I haven't taken a single swing at.
Seat it tightly into a kerf, and back- chain off the mushrooming.

It's all about penetration boys. If it's too cold, you don't dig in the other metal, so nothing is held. Mig is fast, but new guys run it too cold most of the time, so it's often worthless. You would be amazed at how many things that just "break" do so because of improper welding.
Are you saying guys fail to warm up things properly, rush, and hope for good penetration, and have poor performance?

Getting things heated up and ready is learned over time, with attention to detail, and many guys repetitiously fail.

With welding it's in the settings, so it's instant, but if i was correctly picking up on the double entendre..... then yes :lol:

When I took out the part of the house where back in 1847 pigs and cows used to live, and the old bathroom, I had some friends and the folks I work with helping out.

Our apprentice was knocking the stone wall between the old cow stable and the old toilet down with a large, longhandle maul.
He wasn't really getting anywhere, so Richard told him: " You're using the maul wrong!" took it from him and went clear through the wall and sheared the top off of the toilet, which was still in place, in one swing.

Handed the maul back to the apprentice and said: " Do it like that!"

So Burnham, old buddy, I'll have to see both of you side by side, to judge that.

:lol: Fair enough.

Back