Tulip poplar yellow

I have to deadwood a tulip poplar (rare around here). Aphids, soil compaction/ no mulch, and construction impact. Things are connected. Might need to treat the cause, not a symptom. Maybe scale is no exacerbated by other things, but, like I say, things are connected.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My trees are dead from it.

They are in my woods so no biggie like a homeowner lot. They are on my hunting land.

copy paste from the link

Tuliptree scale is a type of soft scale that attacks primarily yellow poplar and magnolia trees. These insects, which have one generation per year, are generally found on twigs and branches where they feed on the tree’s vascular system. The first nymphal instar or immature stage of the scale is called a crawler because it has functional legs, which are used to move over plant surfaces to find a feeding spot. Once settled, they attach themselves to the plant and do not move. Damage symptoms include yellowing of leaves, premature leaf drop, and branch dieback. They also produce copious amounts of a sugary liquid called honeydew, which can promote the growth of sooty mold, a fungus causing the sticky black appearance.

I just finished my fourth weekly spraying with Neem oil, trying to save a large grape fruit tree from a massive scale insect infestation.

Too soon to determine how effective the spraying's been though. They are bizarre insects, and hard to kill without massive chemical intervention.

Neem oil's fairly benign stuff IME.

Jomo

I cleaned a Meyer lemon of scale once. By hand. With a toothbrush and cloth and cotton gloves. It was a small tree and took all day. Totally worth it. The tree looked GREAT after (was covered with black sooty mold)

love
nick

Physical removal of scale can indeed work.

Never heard of those small sucking insects killing trees though.

Back