TreeStuff - APTA - Wow!

I've had that happen maybe three times. Now, if my throwbag is anywhere near the cat, I try to tap the cat lightly, on purpose.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Crazy thing is it's all TRUE! I want to find that tree guy that was going to stuff the cat inside his saddle while he spurred back down a 80 foot pole...and that would be after he put his spurs back on because he took his spurs off in the tree (at 80 feet) to go higher after the cat. :\:

I want to follow him around with a camera cause we are missing some great videos. :lol:

His name must be Marcel Ledbetter.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-AX9QoFhEhI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He told the girl that he couldn't spur any higher because the top was too small...instead he climbed up some limbs without his spurs. There were about 10 one inch and two inch poplar limbs at the base of the tree when I got there. She said he was breaking them out with his hands because they were in the way...they may have broken out under his bare feet for all I know (hopefully he had enough sense to leave his boots on).

We gots some moorons down here.

That's crazy. That tree looks pretty skinned out, he musta been way up there. I'm assuming he had atleast a lanyard? That fella could use some training because it sounds like he's got the nuts for the job, just missing some of the bolts.

He did have a lanyard. The girl showed me how he lanyarded up...she held onto an imaginary lanyard and did the whole hip movement, lanyard flip up thing...she was really pretty good at it..apparently a good study because I could tell she had picked it up by watching.

Ha!!! Missing some bolts is a good description.:lol:

That is just the craziest story, and to end as it did. Reading it I was starting to imagine you blasting the cat out of the tree by accident and it landing in your kitty tarp. Lol.

Maybe...I have had cats with NO interest in tuna before...maybe they were freaked out or exhausted but they basically ignored it. I have pierced a tuna can before and slung tuna juice at and on the cat before and it basically didn't react.

And then I have had tuna down inside the garbage can I take in the tree...cat leans over to smell the tuna and I pop it on the butt so it falls into the bucket and slam the top on...tie the top tight and lower it...but some cats realize it is a clever trap and look at me like, "yeah, right...I ain't gonna fall for that one."

I had rescue a laundry basket once, after getting the cat. They had pulled up a basket with food in it, thinking they could lower it after the cat got in to eat. But the basket got stuck.

I got a cat once from a willow top with a basket on an extendable corona pruning pole.

wire mesh basket zip-tied onto the end of the pole, I think. Once I put a towel into the basket, forming a visibly solid bottom, the cat stepped right down and in. Add 12 pound cat onto 1-2 pound basket at the end of a pole, and it gets wobbly. As I let the pole slide down through my hands, or shuffled, or whatever, the cat jumped back out...three different times. Finally, I was lowering it down farther from the trunk, and got it down to me, and I was able to get it, and me, down out of a rotten willow. I wouldn't do that one again.

Ha!!! That's great...figured there had to be more to that story.:lol:

Cats are freakin' nutz.

Nick,

The APTA came through big time today. I got a call this AM from a nurse...their cat had been in a tree for 13 days...two big rain storms in that time and I guess that kept it alive.

She asked what I charged for a rescue and I told her..."out of her budget" and I was going to end the call. Then somehow we started talking what had been tried so far to get the cat down...a nearby treeclimber had spurred up the 90 foot poplar, got to the cat at 70 feet, went to grab it and the cat went higher...higher than the climber could (or would) spur...it sounded like she said he took his spurs off and then climbed up some limbs after that until he was scared to go further.

I queried the daughter about that scenario later (she helped me do the rescue...yeah....somehow I ended up going) and she said he did not carry up a climbing rope...she asked him how he was going to get the cat down and he said he would stuff it in his harness and climb down...:O...:lol: Gawd, I would have LOVED to see that.

Anyway, I think the lady paid him $100 for trying. They had another guy come by and his plan was to drop the tree with the cat in it...a 90 foot tree...he said he could only give the cat about a 50 per cent chance of surviving...that boy is an optimist!! She paid him $40 for gas money to give her his opinion.

Oh...a friend of hers is a firefighter...he said they are not allowed to do cat rescues but they took the fire truck by anyway to look it over...they said, "No way."

So I guess my curiosity (or is it ego?) got the best of me...I told her I would try to get by to look at the situation if I had time today. I got the important stuff done (swimming with the grandson:) ) and then headed to the site.

Before I actually saw the tree, I thought it might be a skinny 30 footer or so...especially if someone was considering felling the tree with the cat in it. In that case I might have just lowered the tree off a block and the cat would have had a good chance. but it was a 90 footer...on TOP of a 10 foot dirt cliff. Terrible access to the base of the tree...super dense growth.

It was going to be a very bad climb...cat at the top of the tree and in the best crotch for a TIP. Very hot today, high humidity, I was pouring sweat just setting things up. I put a tarp at the base of the tree on the open side in case the cat pooped out and fell from exhaustion and was counting on the thick underbrush to cushion a fall to the woodward side.

And then along came John (remember the song?)...except this time along came APTA. My first shot went over the tree too far out to the left...trying not to hit the cat...it was about 15 feet left of the cat. Second shot I put on my new TreeStuff throwline (200 feet I thnk) and got about six feet from the cat and 6 feet above it...Lil Bit did not like this too much.

And when I pulled the new (TreeStuff) neon green bag back up to the supporting limb and the bag rocked over toward Lil Bit...well Lil Bit got plumb feisty and proved she still had some energy left...she caterwauled some and started backing down the tree...:D I was starting to get happy at this point. Long story short...I chased the cat down the tree with the throw bag. Whenever the cat would stop and think about going back up I would pull the bag up, get it rocking and then drop it towards the cat. It took about 5 minutes to get the cat to climb down the tree...which means I never left the ground!! Two hours on site and never touched the cat...that's the best kind of rescue.

:D...yep that's me still smiling.

AWESOME story. One for a magazine!!
As a veteran cat charmer, I'll be reading it again to my kids later.

That's crazy. That tree looks pretty skinned out, he musta been way up there. I'm assuming he had atleast a lanyard? That fella could use some training because it sounds like he's got the nuts for the job, just missing some of the bolts.

Hahahahahahaha, brilliant little analogy!!

APTA https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=11138

All weights of Weaver D weights are in the dropdown menu https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=1795

TreeStuff 2.2mm https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=6&item=5872

1.75mm https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=6&item=4674

Nick/ Ben are these the recommended products to work with the APTA? An APTA kit? Perhaps at least list recommended accessories on the APTA description/ update Related Products to include appropriate throw weights.

Time to maximize line setting. Everyone seems to rave. I'll be able to have the APTA , with a BigShot back-up. Sweet.

Great story Gary! Great product Nick!! Well after frustration with my big shot I rigged up this today.... Using a longbow trigger release and a 2;1 comealong tie down strap. It was very accurate! 1 minute setup, and Im sure its been made alot before.

But I still want an APTA! :D :D

Attachments

• bs.jpg
    bs.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 119
Do you do anything but take down difficult oaks over houses? You are like the Grand Imperial Wizard of oaks beside houses with a fence under them.

Back