TreeMotion

bonner1040

Nick from Ohio
So I got an updated 2013 version of the TreeMotion Saddle last week. I dont have a lot of time on it yet, nor any BIG climbs.

I can say that the out of the box comfort easily surpasses that of the Buckingham Ergovation (similarly priced option) and the perceived quality is way, way higher. First putting it on, it grabs your hips in a way you just have to say WOW. Walking on the ground you forget you have it on.

While I never took the time to adjust a Ergo to my body, since it wasnt mine, the times I have climbed in them I have found them to be somewhat sloppy. One thing that jumps out immediately is there is a separation between the padding and the outer shell of the Ergo which causes it to rub and wear in addition to giving it a sloppy look. On the Treemotion everything feels and looks tight and sleek.

Going over the TM it seems as if no detail was spared and that everything from the color of the components to the placement of the leg strap support cords was done with great thought and purpose. The option of placing and choosing the size/location of your own gear loops it novel and useful. I like mine small and low, and thats how I got em, which is cool. The padding on the TM is a super dense, yet responsive, memory foam and it is tightly encased in a neoprene-esque material. The back pad mounts to the harness shell via velcro and is removable and washable. The shell of the TM is made of a material that reminds me of the durathane material used on haul bags albeit it seems a composite of multiple layers sandwiched together.

Of course the lower d-rings are what everyone talks about and they are a great addition. They function like a liger-modified harness or the rigging plates found on most newer saddles. The difference I see being that they orient themselves better, allow better travel of the harness/leg strap support components and provide a more generous area to clip into.

Overall I am impressed with the TreeMotion. I didnt think I would be, and wouldnt have ordered it at all had I not an issue with the purchasers at my work. The fit and comfort are much better than the other saddles I am familiar with and the quality/durability look to be top notch. I will of course offer more feedback as time goes on, as well as a full video review and comparison between sever models which I am working up.

I was close to getting a TM but repeatedly heard from folks that they wore out after 1 year. That to me is unacceptable.

Had my first TM 5 years, and most of those were subby climbing 4-6 days a week. There were issues with the very first run of TMs, but that was sorted out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was close to getting a TM but repeatedly heard from folks that they wore out after 1 year. That to me is unacceptable.

I agree completely. If mine wore out within a year I would demand a refund. My impression is that it is much more durable than that, but time will tell.

I tried someone else's in Tennessee and can say it fit and felt like heaven. I had the NT Onyx for near two weeks and the treemotion far surpassed any comfort level I have experienced! Look forward to your review Nick!

We bought one when they first came out and returned it. Our guys were not impressed at all. I just thought it was cool because of who designed it.

Finally Nick drank the TM koolaid! :spin:

Give clipping your lanyard into the lower d's a shot for a full climb sometime. It basically turns your lanyard into an adjustable extended bridge. It's very comfortable. My side rings only get used for the lanyard on removals or occasionally maybe lower d to upper ring to stabilize in a weird position.

You'll appreciate being able to take the padding off and toss it in the wash with your other stuff next summer too.

If you have the chance through Treestuff I'd love to see a TM vs TM SLite comparison... :)

I owned a TM for 6 months. Keep going back to the sequoia.

This shows just how personal harness fit and function are. I liked my Sequoia just fine until I got the TM. I just recently used the Sequoia, just to see and the difference was remarkable. Man, I couldn't wait to get out of it! The TM gives far more support and in all the right places.

I have had my TM for over a year and it shows very little wear and that is only slight scuffing on the inner thighs from sitting on branches and sliding around, so just cosmetic, all the important stuff looks great.

David

I don't like the leg pads on either one. I like New Tribe's style - going along the thigh, towards your butt.

Back