Tree felling vids

That was a conventional with a snipe. I put in the snipe due to the odd shape of the trunk. Cat faced sorta. I felt the face would close and the odd shape could push it off to one side. All worked as planned. She fell straight and true. Threaded it between two small trees, slide past the tree next to it with nary a branch nicked, off to one side of an engineered leach field and the top in between two fence posts. I did not want a Humboldt the cat face with the rot I saw in it down lower. Double cut the face and back with a 36 bar.

Excellent explanation...thanks. I thought it might be a snipe to extend hinge holding time but wanted to confirm. Good stuff...thanks. I learn a lot of STUFF from youse guys.:D

Yep, thanks for the explanation.
I wondered why you hadn't cut the snipe deeper, but knowing why ( And taking a better look at the picture) it makes sense.

Are you going APTA or Bigshot?

I'd say faster to make a narrow mess up to 100' or so, and pop the top, when you have that open drop. A lot less walking, unless you are just broadcasting the chips all over.

Is your Dingo powerful enough to move your chipper for areas you can't take a truck?

I always found it a toss up but certainly on big ass dead or dying bull pines I don't think it's any slower to do it like Sean described. But with a mini and grapple I'd say it's easier to lay it out and cleanup as long as there's no fine raking involved. I could use my grapple as a very effective 'rake' for a rough cleanup.

Depends on what kind of clean up crew you have, I'd say.
Got enough people, then flop it and let the leaf cutter ants have a fun day.

Dingo is pretty limited as to what it'll pick up.
Brutus the chipper makes short work of the debris so long as you can get near it. I really need a grapnel on the dingo. Not a BMG, but a root type rake grapnel. Mini does not like trying to move almost 7000# of chipper. It'll do it on perfect flat ground.... BUT. It only weighs 1500 wet. Chipper will win should momentum build.
That job we could back the chipper right to the mess with the truck and just keep feeding it. Now my choke point is the material it will put out in short order. Working on that. My flat bed is still just short of road worthy. Seems the guy I bought it from just dumped good fuel on top of old fuel for the test drive and we had some wiring issues. Electrical all done. Now I have to fix my fuel tank. I have tried flushing it etc. Now I am shopping for a new one. I will also make a call to see if it can be cleaned further in a dip tank or something. It's a saddle tank mounted on the frame. I might try to just buy a new one that is not quite CARB compliant and make it work in ninja mode just to get through emissions. :dontknow:
I am striking a deal on a goose neck dump trailer that will make my life hella easier to start with. Then dump kits for the trucks.
My white 1991 is a total at the moment. The shop that put the re built transmission in it seemed to forget to put all the wiring harness for it back where it belonged and the drive shaft ate it. Since they do not have shop insurance and have proved themselves totally incompetent and are probably going out of business.... well.. now I have another guy working on the harness issue. Hopefully we'll be able to piece something back together. There is LITERALLY NOTHING LEFT of the old harness. Shredded.
Down to one truck right now sucks with a 1/2 life. Oh well ... this too shall pass.
This particular job, HO wants to make sure all infested material that can be removed is removed. SO raking (3 truck loads off two trees) plus about 13-15 yards of chips hauled out. A lot of material for a pick up truck to deal with. But hey.. we made bank. Can't complain. I guess.
Busy as hell. Huge job coming up in November, this shat has to be resolved or I am gonna lose a lot of profit. Let alone make my schedule.

Big shot Sean. Works fine. Rarely are the first limbs above 70 feet. I can hit 100 pretty regular. Our trees are rarely over 130. Often Wraptor tie in at 90. I work just as efficiently advancing my higher TIP out in front of me as I do if I climb up to 125 and set a tip and then come all the way down to work. But I have a ground crew where you are often lacking one. After I hit my initial TIP shot, it's a short work climb to the top. Gaffs and throwing the line ahead of me. Guys on the ground use those moments to clean the zone and keep chipping. Mike might buy an APTA. We'll see.

I frequently strip on the way up, lower the Wraptor, tie directly into the tree, pop the top, chunk it down. You're not an employee, so you can do as you like. Employees, possibly, can't work of the Wraptor, technically.

Have you added hands more outside your old ground crew?

That's a big disparity between 1500 and 7000. I didn't realize. My chipper is only 4400. I'll hate to lose it some time...the appetite, for the weight. This market, these trees.

A mini can help a lot sometimes moving a trailer to the brush, along with all your gear in and out, on the right job. A piece of plywood on top of the mini can move a lot of gear too. I can put mine on the loader arms and grapple (or bucket, if needed). Can save a lot of carrying, and provide your turning platform for lawns.

What kinda flatbed did you get?

Hard to get those 'snap-pants' to pop free in one go, with a harness over them. I'm working on that finesse.

I frequently strip on the way up, lower the Wraptor, tie directly into the tree, pop the top, chunk it down. You're not an employee, so you can do as you like. Employees, possibly, can't work of the Wraptor, technically.

Have you added hands more outside your old ground crew?

That's a big disparity between 1500 and 7000. I didn't realize. My chipper is only 4400. I'll hate to lose it some time...the appetite, for the weight. This market, these trees.

A mini can help a lot sometimes moving a trailer to the brush, along with all your gear in and out, on the right job. A piece of plywood on top of the mini can move a lot of gear too. I can put mine on the loader arms and grapple (or bucket, if needed). Can save a lot of carrying, and provide your turning platform for lawns.

What kinda flatbed did you get?

I move a shat load of gear in the 42" bucket if we need to forward gear. runs fine into the woods. Best wheelbarrow evah.
Not many lawns up here.
My smaller chipper and trailers move nicely with my mini.. Just not Brutus.
Flat bed... 1984 F 350 460 gasser dually.

Attachments

• tmp_1784-IMG_20150914_141809915895624615.jpg
    tmp_1784-IMG_20150914_141809915895624615.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20150906_165136334.jpg
    IMG_20150906_165136334.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20150906_165151475_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150906_165151475_HDR.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 29
Been working on taking down a dead pine for a friend...probably beetle killed. This 6' piece had a slight back lean...prybar helped.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/z39IakTa6rU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

and the Redtip Photinias that surround the tree...I have cut them all back to about 2 feet...some were over 30 feet. The chipper ate 'em up.:D

Attachments

• redtips reszd3.jpg
    redtips reszd3.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 48
  • redtips reszd2.jpg
    redtips reszd2.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 49
  • redtips reszd4.jpg
    redtips reszd4.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 49
  • redtips reszd6.jpg
    redtips reszd6.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 49
You would have liked working with us up in the North Fork camp Willie. They were dropping some big wood. All you heard al day any time you shut a saw off. That and camping in the woods on a hill top is kind of fun anyway. ;)

Yeah, Greg Liu was called out on a falling crew, wish I was slow enough to break away. 32 bids this week and a huge report this week

Back