Tree felling vids

With a slow pulling device like a Tirfor, I've always remembered the advice in Jerry's book about going with a high back cut on pull trees with back lean. I don't think that he is much a fan of high back cuts in general falling when not pulling. The two inches or so that Squish mentions, seems about right on average. Pushing decent sized trees over with a backhoe, I've used a quite high back cut. It worked out real well when pushing fairly low on the tree. Thinking safety there to keep a solid hinge until the tree goes over.

Don't you want the back cut below the hinge when pushing heavy trees low with power, so you don't push them right off the stump accidentally.

That might be one approach Cory, but never used it. As long as the cutting and pushing is done in a coordination so that the tree is moving in the right direction, things always seemed to go as desired. Pushing one off the stump would seem to call for too much power at the wrong time. I wouldn't want to work with an inexperienced guy doing the pushing.

I think I learned that trick from Gerr's book. Don't use it very often but it makes sense so I keep it mind when the situation suggests it.

In my case, a high back cut was not necessary. These ponderosa have great hinge fibre. SO good in fact you can hang one at the stump face closed if you have too much hinge. It launched nicely and right into the money hole. Once it went over COG, it was on its way.

Here is the longer version of that tree and top throw I posted in another thread. Made this one for the HO. I saw her taking pictures.. Little white car in the vid. Hope I get some :)
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/j8Q4Nv9F6Ek" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

cursedvoyce always enjoy your vids
what kind of pads do you wear on your spikes?
it seems like you spend a lot of time in then with the bettle kill and all.
how do you like them?

I wear the off set shin cup pads with Bashlin aluminium gaffs. Works for me. Won't work for everyone. It's all more personal than what works for one will another. Body types and all.
spu729-500.gif

I average about 6 hours a day in them. That's about enough this ol boy.

yes, good one sean!!

MB do you mean shin pads?
I heard you mention soccer pads before.

sick and tired of my tpads!:cry:
thinking of up grading to caddy pads

Yes - soccer shin pads, the flexible type. I've worn them my entire career.

The pads in post 5058 are better than caddies, IMO. Not near as bulky...

I got some from a friend who used to use them. Seem to work for some. For me, no need. The fit between a pad and a shin is variable, person to person.

I got some from a friend who used to use them. Seem to work for some. For me, no need. The fit between a pad and a shin is variable, person to person.

An overhead TIP makes them more comfy too.

just like all climbing gear
great for one person sucks for another
Im thinking caddy pads got to be a step up form my tpads

Stephen...what was that snipe (right term?) on the front/bottom of the face cut ? I assume that was a Humboldt face...or was that a regular face with a snipe but to accommodate a trunk "extrusion" so it didn't break the hinge too quickly?

Back