Tree felling vids

Thanks for the vid, Reg. I've never worked in an environment before where a grappling hook would be useful like that, but it's such a cool tool. How long is the second rope that you're using with the hook? Is it basically a second full length climbing line, or do you use a shorter line for just doing the transfers? Also, where did you get the grappling hook?

Those are my favorite too, The Gary. They fit well, and last longer than the other latex ones that I've tried.

Plus, those prices from PalmFlex are pretty damn good.

Those are my favorite too, The Gary. They fit well, and last longer than the other latex ones that I've tried.

Plus, those prices from PalmFlex are pretty damn good.

That has been my experience with Atlas...excellent fit...other wannabe's I tried did not fit as well. I always wear out the right hand first..I think because I tend my hitch with the right hand. I have lots of extra left hands around here. :) (sounds like something out of the Adams Family)

Hot has not been a problem so much...thought the ThermaFits are too hot for warm weather for sure.

The Gary:lol: (Leon, you are a HOOT)

Awesome vid. Great content, colors and just all around appreciated. Where do you buy one of those g hooks?

Man, that sure beats jumping from tree to tree.
Wish I had one of those hooks back when I spent two months a year doing that.

Ayuh,
nicely done Reg. A huge time and energy saver for sure. :thumbup:;)
I don't often get a chance to do it tree to tree, but within a tree with more than 2 or 3 leaders is common for me.
I use that technique as often as I can. :D
Good video, thanks for posting. :thumbupold:

Reg, just curious, have you used SRT? Watching your video made me think of it..... just wondering. ::?

Thanks for the vid, Reg. I've never worked in an environment before where a grappling hook would be useful like that, but it's such a cool tool. How long is the second rope that you're using with the hook? Is it basically a second full length climbing line, or do you use a shorter line for just doing the transfers? Also, where did you get the grappling hook?

Thanks

Leon Im using the other end of my climbline in this instance. If you wanted to use another, probably 40 ft would be a good length. I think I got the hook from wespur. I remember thinking it was well over priced for what it was, but its invaluable if you do lots of this kind of work.

Yes I do lots of SRT Randy. That row of trees were all between 120-130. We were mainly doing some end-weight down one side over a delicate garden, so its was mainly SRt work because of the distance of going down to work and then back up to move across. I switched the DdRT for the move across part, as in the video.

Thanks, Reg. I should have guessed that you were using the other end of your climbline. Keeping it simple is generally the way to go.

nice one reg ,that hook looks huge though mate ,how much does it weigh?
I've been using one loaned off a friend and they are an absolute godsend and energy saver on big spreading trees
http://www.drayer.de/shop/en/Hook-Baumfaenger.html
its quite compact and just fits flat along the back of my tree motion I'm defiantly buying one.
great tool when used correctly.

I found that the knot can get snagged sometimes ,a splice on either side works really nice and the buddy as progress capture is also a goodie
:thumbup:

nice one reg ,that hook looks huge though mate ,how much does it weigh?
I've been using one loaned off a friend and they are an absolute godsend and energy saver on big spreading trees
http://www.drayer.de/shop/en/Hook-Baumfaenger.html
its quite compact and just fits flat along the back of my tree motion I'm defiantly buying one.
great tool when used correctly.

I found that the knot can get snagged sometimes ,a splice on either side works really nice and the buddy as progress capture is also a goodie
:thumbup:

Im not sure what it weighs, but you hardly notice it....and as you can see its really easy to throw. I has to have a little weight to pierce through foliage and drop through crotches etc. Obviously its designed to collapse going forward and open up coming back. Have a big windfirming job coming up at cowichan lake, probably 60 trees or more. Beautiful place to work.

IMG-20121009-00076.jpg

Good stuff! I have always wanted a grappling hook but have absolutely no use for one. They are just plain cool! (says my inner ten year old child)

Gorgeous lake photo! is that lake open to recreational use, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of structures around it from what is shown.

I'd like one! I've always used a monkey's fist.

With a trust worthy Groundie and SRT, you just untie your base or crown tie, use a weight and throw the working end of your rope into the next tree, and get that tail/ standing end to the ground, and re-tie.

I know Reg is aware of this, and had some reason for working these trees this way.

Im not sure what it weighs, but you hardly notice it....and as you can see its really easy to throw. I has to have a little weight to pierce through foliage and drop through crotches etc. Obviously its designed to collapse going forward and open up coming back. Have a big windfirming job coming up at cowichan lake, probably 60 trees or more. Beautiful place to work.

View attachment 55065
:Obet your spewing about that job site mate , looks rough.

how do you go about wind firming reg? is it just reducing limbs and thinning or is there a bit of a knack to it ?
its interesting the different types of tree work going on in different places , here in Heidelberg we reduce anything and everything its a little crazy but people love to spend money on their trees and want them "safe" , its a lot of deadwooding and pruning this time of year as we can't fell.

Gorgeous lake photo! is that lake open to recreational use, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of structures around it from what is shown.
Its a pretty big lake, hard to see the far shore from the photos, but yes to your question. Google Cowichan lake if you get a minute. Beautiful area.

With a trust worthy Groundie and SRT, you just untie your base or crown tie, use a weight and throw the working end of your rope into the next tree, and get that tail/ standing end to the ground, and re-tie.

I know Reg is aware of this, and had some reason for working these trees this way.

Sean, Its a lot simpler, safer and faster using a grapple, in a nutshell. Trying to weave the tail end of a climb line 120 feet through a dense canopy to the ground is something I'd rather avoid if possible. Same as asking a groundworker to set a base tie that I cannot see....screw that :) Id rather stay in control of my life support.

:Obet your spewing about that job site mate , looks rough.

how do you go about wind firming reg? is it just reducing limbs and thinning or is there a bit of a knack to it ?
its interesting the different types of tree work going on in different places , here in Heidelberg we reduce anything and everything its a little crazy but people love to spend money on their trees and want them "safe" , its a lot of deadwooding and pruning this time of year as we can't fell.

'spewing'....are you Australian ?

Windfirming is generally canopy reduction of some kind....usually thinning or taking a 4in diameter top, whatever's on the spec. Many times a group of trees are looked on like a 'crop' for future harvesting, depending. Trees/firs marked for long term retention are often tip-reduced etc. Thanks

No claim to fame here, just some recent work. Not pretty but it all came down safe.....

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/pQENI5wCk64?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back