Tree felling vids

That guy certainly has some good skills. Some of the stuff that I have been showing pales in comparison. Makes me want to go back to cutting timber for a while and take my helmet cam and play in some nice timber.

Jack is great... & so are you... IMO... really don't know enough to judge either of you... Your camera work shows a lot more detail and allows the viewer to get a much better understanding of the cuts... so thanks!

ps... I used that "plunge from the face, all the way through the back of the tree to set the backcut" trick, this AM... NICE! ... hope there is a shorter name for that cut...

Thanks Daniel :) A guy just has to be careful doing that. I have had second growth redwood, that were grown together in a big cluster, where I had to use that method to fall them...bore through and fan out to get both sides of the holding wood...and was quick to get out. Basically the tree was fell from the undercut. I'm sure osha would not approve, but they probably would not have approved of many of my methods...but they worked for me :)

I usually do it the opposite way.
Bore the hinge from the back as I do my back cut.
Saves stepping in front of the tree, but only really works well with a shorter bar.

Stig, I was saying that I had to do it this way because I did not have access to the back side of the tree, because it was tucked in amongs't the other trees in a cluster, so I could get an undercut in, but no backcut. I found a pic that explains the kind of cluster that I'm talking about.

488843240_YAgjq-L.jpg

I would rather have not stood directly in front of the gun, but had to do it this way to pick these clusters apart...I'm sure there were other options, but this worked out okay for me...just had to get out of the way and not get pinched :)

Boring through the face when the powerhead is smack up against the tree and it sets down on the bar, is a pita. When you can't remove the powerhead, a good trick to not ruin the stuck one, having to put in a new face above and falling the tree with another saw.

Nice vids, Cody.

On the soft dutchman, was he cutting one kerf and then letting it settle, then cutting a second kerf and letting that settle, and so on, or was he cutting them all beforehand and then cutting the backcut to initiate the settling?

Yeah, thanks for sharing the vids Cody. A lot of us are residential and don't get to see this stuff all time time. We need to have a logging gtg.

Cory, my impression from studying that method is that all the cuts get placed in before the back cut. Maybe some adjustment between, if felt necessary? I have used that method with both success and failure. I haven't used it enough to get a good feel for the spacing and depths, but I would like to. I think it is cool.

I havent used dutchmans in awhile, except in saplings where they are quite fun and effective!

Out in the woods you have more luxury to play around. And it presents great opportunities to try new things and learn.

Now in the private sector it's another thing. Not quite as much room to have the luxury to experiment.

Oh, btw, that redwood clump looked mighty familiar.

The woods have been my playground to experiment. Which has payed me dividends in back yards. Logging experience lumped in with residential tree work tends to create an extremely versatile professional.

If I didn't have a family, I would have to go tramp timber falling again....just for a little while...then I would go tramp tree climbing :)

You are right...however, I am still fairly new at climbing where I was just getting into my groove when I quit falling timber. It's just nostalgia that I miss it...being out in the woods every day, nobody around to bother you...I know that I would get back into it for a while...6 days a week of busting ass and say "heck with this", but, I think it just never really leaves my bloodstream :(

Im headed logging this winter during my dead season. For another company I used to work for. They've welcomed me to come join them in the woods for as long as id like.

I might be heading back into the woods too, if the furniture gig doesn't start to pick up here soon. In these parts, it is hard to think of such work without also thinking about steep ground. Flatter ground sure is nice to see in those vids. That seems lucky to me.

No, MB, always been a stay at home. She takes care of the home matters nicely, and I have always done the outside work. She stopped driving now too, walks or rides her bike to the market or wherever, seems to like it that way. Therefore i got rid of the family car and bought my little truck. :roll: Her sister does also take her places. Over the last number of years we have been heading back to a simpler life, partly out of economic necessity, along with the aging factor, I would guess. I haven't unloaded any chainsaws yet. :/:

Back