Tree felling vids

Depends on overall performance and learning ability. If he continues to repeat rookie moves.. .
But me being me, I am not going to go to his channel to trash him or try not to get a head ache watching his videos.
Let other arm chair arborists sit in their own karma they produce by doing so.

I
I disagree with @davidwyby. It was totally foreseeable by any measure, rookie or experienced. Totally.

If he had not stepped down that little bit before the lift, he's hurt bad or dead. That is an idiot move, imo.
I agree with that. I have only used a Telehandler on a couple removals. Not legit crane stuff. I don’t know how to do the cool rope rigging to hold logs vertically…but I can figure out how to do it safely with choker straps, mostly horizontal stuff…I saw it coming from the getgo. Where I get hung up is I have followed him a while and never seen him contradict what I have educated myself with (FGTW) or experienced myself. I maybe have more background than him with other crane and rigging work in other industries through. The big thing with tree work is understanding future geometry/physics…what’s gonna happen next?! (After I cut this). Some you learn from others, some you learn the hard way, but somewhere there is a line where you should be able to intuitively see what’s going to happen next. If you can’t…

I agree with that. I have only used a Telehandler on a couple removals. Not legit crane stuff. I don’t know how to do the cool rope rigging to hold logs vertically…but I can figure out how to do it safely with choker straps, mostly horizontal stuff…I saw it coming from the getgo. Where I get hung up is I have followed him a while and never seen him contradict what I have educated myself with (FGTW) or experienced myself. I maybe have more background than him with other crane and rigging work in other industries through. The big thing with tree work is understanding future geometry/physics…what’s gonna happen next?! (After I cut this). Some you learn from others, some you learn the hard way, but somewhere there is a line where you should be able to intuitively see what’s going to happen next.

but somewhere there is a line where you should be able to intuitively see what’s going to happen next. If you can’t…

There is my rub with his vid...it was obvious what was going to happen.

Brett makes a valid point. I've been there just like all the rest of us...tired, get sloppy, ready to be done and go home.

But maybe I'm just too old school to get it...just like I never posted a pic of a less than sterling, cut the off side of the hinge away felling picture, and then pound my chest about myself...why does he put this eff-up on full display? It's dumb, and counter-productive if you wish to show yourself in a positive light.

.why does he put this eff-up on full display? It's dumb, and counter-productive if you wish to show yourself in a positive light.
No idea what he does on his channel, but maybe it's just a documentary of sorts. "I did this today, and this is how it went" good, bad, or indifferent.

Mine neither. I'm not inclined to dick around with cameras and stuff when I have work to do. It's just a distraction that doesn't help get the job done. Good thing some people are into it though, or we wouldn't have The Fundamentals :^)

Mine neither. I'm not inclined to dick around with cameras and stuff when I have work to do. It's just a distraction that doesn't help get the job done. Good thing some people are into it though, or we wouldn't have The Fundamentals :^)
Yeah, Never did replace my GOPro. I don't edit for shat and they all come out long and BORING
Rendering and editing took too much time away from other things.

Yea, it's a whole "thing" if you want to make good quality youtube videos. Do your job, screw with the cameras while your doing it, finish the primary work, do the equipment maintenance to get ready for tomorrow, *then* you get to sit in front of a computer to make all the video you shot look good and interesting, nevermind the paperwork type stuff for the business owners. Film makes a long day much longer.

Exactly. I appreciate folks like Reg, or August, and many others taking the time for it...I like seeing what they do in the work, almost always learn something...but I just plain didn't have the time nor skill nor interest to do it myself, even when peeps asked it of me. Which no one does anymore, thankfully; old, stove up, and retired as I am :).

Last edited:
If my customers saw that all going on, They would probably fire me. Stuff I wanted footage of was helmet cam and hiring Katy to film and photo.
Still, the rendering.... Arrrrrrrg

The obsession with producing social media content above producing good content.

This drives many companies such as this to the fore - a little skill, little experience and a great deal of confidence don’t always end well.
I have seen some of there content previously and it is basic at best. I am just happy he can sit at home and read the criticism, hopefully realising how lucky he is.

The obsession with producing social media content above producing good content.

This drives many companies such as this to the fore - a little skill, little experience and a great deal of confidence don’t always end well.
I have seen some of there content previously and it is basic at best. I am just happy he can sit at home and read the criticism, hopefully realising how lucky he is.
I agrée, I See so much pointless big negative rigging of big sections, just for the Billy big bollocks stuff.

The crane guy with the flipping chunk, I saw it coming, but from my armchair!
A mistake for sure, glad it turned out ok.

Yeah but most of the guys stuff seems decent from what I know. That’s where I get hung up.
There are a lot of videos on the web from people who look like they know what they are doing but don’t. Chunk flip video starts off with a guy on a ladder in full climber gear wearing spurs. That’s an accident waiting to happen so why tempt fate.

Tree work is a hobby/learning experience for me, so I have time to vid stuff, share and learn. Goes pretty quick with a couple
iPhones.

I like how guilty of treeson shows his learning experiences.

I agree the negative stuff seems to get the most views. My worst vid has 2-300,000 views now. Never was going for views and that’s not how I want them, whatever.

So how about this? Funny because a lot of the negative comments on my vid are from people who don’t see my face cut.

There are a lot of videos on the web from people who look like they know what they are doing but don’t. Chunk flip video starts off with a guy on a ladder in full climber gear wearing spurs. That’s an accident waiting to happen so why tempt fate.
I have a tree guy buddy who says to be careful whose advice or example you follow online…so if one doesn’t know, how do they know if the person they are watching knows? I don’t agree with that a lot of the time. Same day that just because someone is posting online they don’t know what they’re doing…but plenty of knowledgeable people do.

I don't have a problem with no face, especially with a pull tree. Straight through the back, leave a tab to keep it attached, then pull it over. Should work well for leaners too. That screwjack he was using is interesting.

Back