Tree felling vids

His vids are such a benefit to this profession, I’m definitely a better sawyer and free-faller thanks to him. The dry British humor helps too.

Liked the handsaw sequence at 5"00...relaxed and efficient. Love the sound of the electric saw. I assume the ear muffs are just to have comms working.

Curious to type of comms...I did not see the Sena items I am used to seeing. Maybe I just missed them?

Funny, I have that saw and I don’t really like the sound, in life or on video.

There is no satisfaction somehow in using them, no zing, no pep, no joy.

Good vid of course.

I seem to remember Reg doesn't use comms...but I thought the same, it wasn't like he was yelling to the ground...curious

I hate the way electric tools sound. Something about them really irritates me. Not that I'm super in love with a screaming 2stroke and exhaust in my face, but aesthetically, I prefer that to electric.

edit:
I was thinking about what Mick said, and he's right. Electric tools don't have soul. A petrol engine can be frustrating sometimes, but they all have their own personality. To me, an electric tool is something you use, and throw in the back of a truck. They're all the same. You could grab your buddy's saw, and not know the difference. End of the day, "personality" doesn't get work done, but it makes it a little nicer, or at least more interesting getting through the day, and I think it's a large reason chainsaws have the dedicated following they do. Some people are ready to fight over their favorite saws. A cordless drill doesn't have that that devoted a fan base I don't think.

Last edited:
Yeah, but most people who would buy a battery saw are doing this for money, and at the end of the day, that's what matters.

I get the appeal. I was mulling over battery saws after reading the thread here, but they just wouldn't work for me at this point. Too heavy. If they made a battery saw like my 2511t with about the same weight, I'd likely get one. It would be convenient for work, and as a truck saw. No fuel spills, just pull it out, and pull the trigger, less hassle carrying "fuel" in the field... Something like that would make a great work saw, but I need to hang it from my pistol belt, and the 2511 is about as heavy as I want to go with that.

Cory had this posted to the Instagram thread...I snagged it with Movavi and put it on youtube so I could share it here...one of the best topping rides I have EVER seen.... :lol:

I would love to meet this guy!

This is the description from Instagram: Screw loose Saturday! This fearless fellow is going viral right now and for good reason: his balls are bigger than his brains!

At least it was slow. I've seen a couple videos where guys got thrashed on the stem; hit with the saw, and damned near thrown off.

Crazy for sure. I know next to nothing about palms but maybe that scenario in less risky than it seems. Thrilling though, no matter the risk. But yeah, if that was a hardwood or pine, of course, I'd be worried it could break in half at any moment but maybe palms are tougher than I'd think.

I have cut a coconut palm crown out that was full of nuts. I too wound up higher after the cut than when I started though not as much as this video. You go into the cut anticipating going for a ride but can't believe how far and slowly you wag about. The fiber of palms is amazingly strong. 20161119_133149.jpg

Back