Tree felling vids

Are you jerking my chain?
I tell them they'll get fired if they do that.
Act like it is something you do every day, no big deal.

Like I said, I do it a lot, and it is something I do every day, I just get excited when I do it because it is so much fun, and it doesn't matter if somebody is watching or not...I do it for my own enjoyment, and hope that the excitement of topping a tree never stops. I used to let out a whoop every time I tozed over a big tree when I was falling timber full time as well. Different strokes for different folks...I know I am different, and glad that I am :)

It used to drive me crazy when I was lifting weights in a public weight room and some "muscle head" would be grunting and bellering like a cave man...til I started doing it :) It just makes things funner that way!

Are you jerking my chain?
I tell them they'll get fired if they do that.
Act like it is something you do every day, no big deal.

Yes I'm jerking your chain because I know you despise climbers screaming like a wounded banshee when the top goes over.

I hate it personally. I've been known to grunt and groan in a tree but I prefer not to look like a smacked ass by howling like a coyote out of the tree.

I never was a hoot and holler type in the tree.

I believe many climbers that do hoot and holler their response is a release of the tremendous amount of tension they felt just before it, whatever it was, was all over. Topping-chunking....

My friend Wes Burns is a hoot-holler type. He knows what he's doing, and has for over 40 years, but he gets anxious at times and lets it all out, and he will admit it, too. Wes in a humble man, normally quiet in his work and manner, and his holler when knocking out a big top is the genuine thing. There's no mistaking it. Wes cracks me up.

Now the bragging type of man that hoots and hollers all the time really wears on me.

Just my take on it.

O.K. For all of you little boys who don't yet know who Wes Burns is... Time to get High Climbers and Timber Fallers. I think it might be o.k. to hoot and holler, if you're chunking down seven foot diameter redwood logs with an 090, and a gigantic Cannon.

Some of the most beautiful photographs I have ever seen in my life.

I figure I am doing what I was born to do, and when it's something, even taking a small little top, but usually the toughest part of the job is over, I am glad for no mishaps, and feel like lettin out a whoop, no matter if anyone is there to hear it, because it is my moment. Like I said, a "Yee Haw" was common terminology around me growing up...not so much for when somebody was riding rough stock(because you would have been thought weird for that, because that's only what city slicker, wannabe cowboys would do), but for those little moments when things were going good. Just a habit of growing up that way. It's a good thing I never got fired for it, and I could give a rip now what folks think of it, since I answer only to myself :) Now, for the habits that could lose me business, like cussing and throwing riggin fits...those are the ones that I should not do, but still do, and if I lost a job because of it, I would give a rip, but because I am such a bonehead, probably would not learn from it :)

I agree! I suppose that is why I work for my self.

It can make things kinda fun. We were gridding for hotspots with a bunch of screwballs from Miles City. Those guys were hooting and hollering like loons. Of course knowing when to be quiet is good too!

My buddy, Scotty Claggett got fired off a billionaire's property for letting out a whoop when the top of a big Fir went. When he got back to the shop... the boss didn't even chew him out... I think his comment (about the billionaire's property manager) was, "Man... what an asshole."

As usual, I am at a disadvantage because I am not a tree guy who works around houses.

I think back to my 212 class and it was made clear that I WILL let out a warning yell or I will fail.

Maybe that is a different thing. When I sound a tree you can hear that sucker for miles. People look around and say "gee, that Conrad can swing an axe".

Derail over.

I have learned to love exuberance...unabashed expression of a zest for life. Kids do it naturally...too often we learn to be "cool" or "professional" at the expense of living in the moment...and then the moments are gone.

That's funny! A few years ago, when I was not so busy, I cared a lot more about what my clients thought...now, not so much. I know that could all change, but the clients that like me, seem to like my "unique" characteristics as well...those are the ones that appreciate my tarzan horn on my truck :)

I have learned to love exuberance...unabashed expression of a zest for life. Kids do it naturally...too often we learn to be "cool" or "professional" at the expense of living in the moment...and then the moments are gone.

Hear, Hear!

Tarzan honk??? We need a sound bite or video of that!:lol:

By god!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VK9R6E3HNCo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I felt like a little kid when I installed that! It is a recording of the real Johnny Weissmuller, and when I found that horn online, I decided to look him up, and discovered that he and I share the same birthday, except for the year of course :)

Oh boy...all that free kit for that job, nice if you can get it!
Scariest think he's ever done? I guess it was his first then.

Back