Tree felling vids

wow!

My lesson learned is, when in doubt, tell the gorundie to take wraps around a brake, and don't try to handle it by hand alone. Like the episode I mentioned, and another time, the groundie told me they could handle it. My gut feeling told me they were wrong and I told them to back it up, but both times they insisted they could handle it and it proved wrong.

It just goes to show, if you're the climber calling the shots you best follow your instincts no matter what the groundie says.

Agreed: I should already have learned that even before the GRCS mishap. About four of five years prior to that it had happened to a new guy on a porty. Our (then) foreman had been telling the kid how many wraps to take all day, and then, he misjudged the first big Red Cedar log. Poor kid didn't let go... drug him about nine feet across the ground on his stomach and skinned his knees all up, and smashed him into some landscaping rocks. Somehow, we all ended up laughing, but.... looking back: it really wasn't all that funny.

I was catching Doug-fir logs, standing on wet grass. I surfed right over to the POW. Guess two wraps wasn't enough.

First time i caught a top, me and another know-nothing were holding it without any wrap besides the natural crotch rigging point. We were back from the tree, too. Climber went too big. I got lifted up and launched forward, holding with gripper gloves, the top wanted to start taking me up the tree. I let it slide. The hop when it really started pulling seems like I cleared 15' horizontally without trying. Like I was floating, cuz I wuz.

In the day it was wraps around the trunk. So basic and old school. Yet it actually worked very well in the time. Those old organic ropes only lasted a season or two anyway. Either by wear on the job, or by fungus deteriorating it during storage. Then the synthetics came! Oh, my!

Eric Frei - Master Arborist

What a silly way to go about doing things.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/BLkgWFh9lDs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't get it.
I did something similar the other day but it didn't look like that. Had to bore thru the face cut to allow room for the wedge (10") in a 8" tree. I was more or less playing around than out of necessity.

I've actually seen old stumps like that out in the bush in Australia. I took some pictures and posted on AS way back when. I think it was Eric who described what it was all about.

WOW!! Can't believe I have not found that before...fast fwd to 2:45 for the action. Here is your embed:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KMCYks60baA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yes, mistakes were made, it was pissing down, by the look of the chipper, truck and bobcat etc these were not newbies.
They were just trying to save time and nearly paid the price.
You don't earn much money in hospital. (Or the cemetery)

Back