Toyota Commercial and legalese

NickfromWI

King of Splices
So I was in a toyota commercial last year. I made some money of the deal, so that was cool.

Anyways, I got a letter in the mail the other day, and it said...

"Toyota Canada is interested in re-airing the Schoolyard campaign. As per the SAG agreement, the payment to re-instate the commercial are two back holding fees. We would pay at On Camera rates, one applied against the residual."

What the frick does this mean? Do you think they are going to be charging ME money? Or just take it out of the residuals?

Any lawyers in the hizzouse?!

love
nick

No problemo, Nickmeister. I'll take care of everything. Just send me your bank routing number, your account number, and social security number. Trust me. I'll handle the details and I'll just take a small percentage for my trouble. I'm here to help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Mr. Sir, It might be faster if you talk to Prince Umbaba, the high prince of Nigeria. He already has all that info!

Agent? I got no agent. It was a one-time thing. Hmm...I wonder where I get an agent?

love
nick

Dang man you're in California, can't be that hard to find a agent.:D

I would assume(based on zero knowledge of the subject at hand) that if they are going to re-air the ad that they would have to pay you some more money, definetly not the other way around. I would think?

i checked Wiki's entry for SAG and found this line which might be pertinent:
"Under the current system, the television production company retains 80% of the fees earned from reruns. The other 20% is paid to the various performers and off-camera crew."

Hmmm...

Maybe I should become a sag member...they might dispel all this for me. I'll go check out their site now.

love
nick

I was able to act without being a SAG member because the casting agency hired me under the Taft-Hartley act, which basically says since I had a specialized skill (tree planting in this case) that they could not cast for, they would seek actors outside the guild. I was allowed to act for the next 30 days.

I guess if I want to do more acting, I'd have to pay SAG about $2500 to get signed up. This commercial got me about $8000 by the time it was said and done, so I'm not going to complain!

love
nick

Nice......... I could use 8k bout now. Gimme a lowdown on the commercial so I'll know when to look for you. I would imagine it would air during the Superbowl for sure.

Wow, I should've shared the commercial info on here! It was a commercial for Toyota Canada, but we've got some of them canadians crawling around here somewhere!!!

I tried to get the vid up on youtube, but go figure, they gave it to me on a DVD in a format that I cannot copy. Maybe I could play it, and set the camera in front of the computer? I wonder if that'd even work.

love
nick

Back