Top Saw Improved

Bixler

TreeHouser
Here's a handy tool for what we do.
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6h-1foj-_cE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Anyone use the file holder? It looks awkward to use to me, I'm guessing that a file without that clunky handle on it would be better.

I have one (thanks Bix) this is a very good tool and I like the pouch it comes in with belt loop attach :thumbup:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Steve, about the name thing... Back in the day, a buddy of mine who invented this thing would pitch me out different names seeing if they would work. Not sure I remember how we settled on 'TopSaw' other than the fact we thought it sounded cool.

Fun that you were in on it’s beginnings Bixler. I was in Bailey’s showroom the other day and saw a big banner for TopSaw. I didn’t know that it was an established product that had already “arrived”. It’s a great product, a good friend of mine gave me my first one.

TOPSAW!
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/l3cquXv9rl0?list=UUxJ7nKZKesLKLcTKjK8A8Jg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="960" height="720" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XYg891DF3h0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="960" height="720" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/vAaiHP2cLv0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cool idea. You've probably tested it a lot, is it able to force itself into a tight back cut as powerfully or more so as a regular wedge? Yes it is understood that overly forcing wedges often indicates poor overall wedging technique, but just wondering the power of it.

Seems like a good concept from woodwork 101, in that wood that you want to move against a lot of resistance, generally responds better to a gradual and even pushing or pulling force, than it does to getting pounded where shock gets distributed through a much larger area. I suppose the shock amounts to loss or another something undesirable.

Isn't the handle on the larger wedge a bit skimpy if you be really wanting to crank it against resistance?

You can tell a lot about a cutter from his wedges

It's a good idea, but I hope he tries to come up with a blunt-wedge version, since, it seems to me, that for us arbos, the turn wedge really only has an advantage over conventional wedges in topping situations; and that only because it enables you to wedge a tree without a heavy pounder. Blunt wedges are a must for arbos who don't always have the luxury of guys on a pull-line, cause the wood we are dealing with is extremely small, even though (here in the Northwest) we might be dealing with fifty or sixty feet of top. Most of the arbs that I know who have tried to wedge tops have all--at least at one time--wedged their saw into the tree.

My latest idea: No face cut!! Just a back-cut backed up by a blunt wedge, and then just start rocking your body-weight back and forth on that pig while you palm the wedge in deeper on the forward thrust, or hammer it in with the but end of another wedge. Haven't really tried it yet though, but I just drilled holes through the thin ends of four wedges of various taper so that a "William" carabiner can fit through em'. Next time I'm not gonna smash a house, I'm gonna give it a go.

Cool idea. You've probably tested it a lot, is it able to force itself into a tight back cut as powerfully or more so as a regular wedge? Yes it is understood that overly forcing wedges often indicates poor overall wedging technique, but just wondering the power of it.

Seems as if the tighter the back cut the more it grabs, pulls, and lifts.

Back