Top Saw Improved

Definatly adding these to my tool boxes. Love the concept especially for top cuts and dead wood. Always hated lugging a hammer or ax around in the air or getting hit with deadwood that shakes off.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
<iframe width="960" height="720" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-a8ysh22MtA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Omg, it happened. A 201 sounds better than 200 now, go figure.

Nice application of the tool there.

I wonder if he got the idea from the large tapering screw that is being sold to function as a wedge? This device has a ratchet on it. The screw is sold with a cautionary that it won't work on large or heavy trees, too short and not enough surface area to push adequately, maybe?

Attachments

• saw934-150.gif
    saw934-150.gif
    9.5 KB · Views: 65
Omg, it happened. A 201 sounds better than 200 now, go figure.

Nice application of the tool there.

FYI: The new 201's rock. They seem to have completely redone that pig. I'm pretty sure that all of the new ones have the new "upgrade kit," built right into them; which consists of: (I think) 1) A bigger carb. 2) A new timing advance, and 3) How could I have forgotten what 3) was?...

Anyway, I started, and pulsed my buddy's brand new one the other day, and It's like a completely different saw compared to the older bone-stock 201's. He didn't even have his muffler opened up yet, and that pig still did great. Thank God. It's about time, you lovely Germans. (Tongue in cheek!)

Jay, I think it spawned from either the over-priced rattle wedge or getting hit with fallen deadwood while pounding wedges too many times:?

Either way, when my 200T falls apart, I'm going with the newest Husky climbing saw...

Everyone must be familiar with the technique of making a back cut, pounding the wedge to pressure up some before doing a face cut. Seems like this wedge might work well with that on small dia wood.

Brian, while the wedge is evidently tapered, it appears as if the screw isnt ? So at some point, perhaps a couple of inches in the kerf, the screw will start to loose purchase, on say, a big top that hasnt been stripped of limbs on the back side. What then ? Many times when one wedge hasnt created enough lift for me Ive finished the job with by stacking wedges no 2 and 3. I always carry 3 wedges up there for that reason. Thanks

Sorry, not trying to put a downer on it without actually using it, but when you label something as 'advanced' you imply that its better than conventional I believe. I could just envisage someone biting off more than they could chew and getting into trouble with that concept.

Reg, maybe 'The Turn Wedge" was a better name as he had it before? I forget why Jonothan changed it to The 'Advanced' wedge.

I envisioned the name 'advanced wedge' to imply a newer, modern, and different in design than the conventional wedge. But maybe he meant an 'Advanced' way of lifting? I can ask him and let you know...

Reg, maybe 'The Turn Wedge" was a better name as he had it before? I forget why Jonothan changed it to The 'Advanced' wedge.

I envisioned the name 'advanced wedge' to imply a newer, modern, and different in design than the conventional wedge. But maybe he meant an 'Advanced' way of lifting? I can ask him and let you know...

This is a good read Brian, and I think you'll get the point: http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general-archive/how-many-tons-does-sledge-produce-97732/

How much force do you figure that wrench will produce ?

Good read Reg.

I figure the wrench can produce more force than a climber could do by hand, or without a wedge.

Good read Reg.

I figure the wrench can produce more force than a climber could do by hand, or without a wedge.

I agree with you there Brian, its probably better than pushing.... but doesnt provide nearly the same force that an axe does, so neither margin of safety with that in mind. Its a nice, convenient concept, but wedging whole trees or big tops is serious stuff. I love the topsaw mult-tool, but that screw wedge looks somewhat limited for the task at hand.

You're right Reg, it's serious stuff - but looks can be deceiving. It's one of those tools that you might not use for every felling task, but when you need it you'll be glad it's there.

A capable strong man behind a felling axe can create incredible amount of force when needed. That force also travels along the tree and can violently shake tops, wiggle stems, and send widow makers to the cutter below.

The 'advanced wedge' drives and lifts in a non-violent and controlled manner.

That's why one has to pay attention Brian. Fallers and toppers have been striking wedges forever mate, relatively speaking. Better to have power as an option in such a situation, than not. I would hate to be taking a big top, only to discover the load limit of that screw wedge at that moment. Then what ?

Then you face the consequences of finding the tools limitations, and next time you opt for the age-old proven powerful axe?

What are you suggesting Reg?

That unless you point out some limitations in these videos, somebody with high expectations could easily get hurt, or worse Brian. Thats not good.

Back