Too many wedges?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Interesting link...but no allowance for different lifts in different wedges, nor stacking, nor plates. Also, the diagrams conflict with the text in defining the "base".

I think the chart underestimates what can be wedged.

As the society hostess Wallis Simpson once said: "You can never be too rich or too thin, or have too many wedges!"

I saw some itty-bitty bungees the other day, and thought of this thread. Here are some of my saws with their new Burnham style Scabbard-Savers.:D The Husky 66 is an honorary Stihl, so it gets a Stihl scabbard as well.

Dave

Attachments

• burnhambungees.JPG
    burnhambungees.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 27
you guys are too neat and organized. this is how I roll.

Attachments

• garage.jpg
    garage.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 24
Lol, it's like you broke into my shop and took a picture. All the right saws too, except for that itsy bitsy husky.:D

Took three days off this week, cause my arm is buggered up. Tomorrow I'm back to production. Hopefully it's healed enough, tendon/ligament stuff.

I saw some itty-bitty bungees the other day, and thought of this thread. Here are some of my saws with their new Burnham style Scabbard-Savers.:D The Husky 66 is an honorary Stihl, so it gets a Stihl scabbard as well.
Dave

Here's how I keep the scabbard on my 650...the cardboard scabbard extension is VERY customized...let me know if you need one. ;)

Attachments

• Stihl 650 (2).JPG
    Stihl 650 (2).JPG
    525.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Stihl cardb (2).JPG
    Stihl cardb (2).JPG
    484.5 KB · Views: 21
When this whole wedge talk started, I told you all how we danes don't stack wedges but use iron plates to build them up.
Then I got to thinking; we use plastic wedges now because they are lighter than iron wedges, but we still drag 5 pounds of scrap iron around the woods.
So I went to a plastic factory and talked to one of the engineers about Extruded nylon, pounds pressure pr. square inch( kilos pr. centimeter, actually) impact resistance and other fun stuff.
It all ended up with me bringing a large square of 10 millimeter (about 0,4 inch) thich nylon, which I cut into little wedge plates on the circular saw.
This week I felled some seriously big oaks, using the plates, and it works GREAT.
Best part is it only weighs one sixth as much as iron, and those little plates fit right into my wedge pouch.
If you need pictures to figure out how we use them, I'll post some.

It'll be a while. Even though I fall lots of trees right now.........525 today alone, I don't use wedges, since they are christmas trees.
Yes, the season is upon us again. I have about 10000 to kill this year, hateful work. It usually rains and even when it doesn't the trees are wet, so it's full raingear all day. That grows old after the first week.First big tree I fall, I'll get some pictures.

Aha,a plan is born ,from Denmark no less . As it turns out I have access to bunchs of nylon 6/6 . I also have access to a horizontal bandsaw .:/:

Al, if it's cheap enough maybe you can cut me some pieces for rebuilding chainsaw scabbards. ;)
Holler at me via PM if you want to pursue it. Thanks.

Pantheraba (and others with the Stihl bar covers)- I found a way to fix those dang loose covers last week. I grabbed a couple scraps of 2X4 and squeezed the plastic sleeve in the bench vise with just the edge lip sticking above the 2X4s. Then I took a rubber mallet and pounded down the edge. Then flip it over and repeat on the other side. No more loose bar covers! :D

Back