• Replies 35
  • Views 4K

Do you wear your ISA Cert. Arborist patches/logos

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
F

Frans

For bidding jobs:

1. Do you wear ISA Cert. Arborist patches on your coat/hat/shirt?

2. Do you think wearing your patches makes you look like a wanna be?

3. Not important to wear all those badges?

4. Just put the logos on your stationary?

5. Do you just rely on your winning personality to land jobs?

1. Once in a while
2. No
3. I Dunno, some people think it's a big deal and some people think that you are just going to be more expensive than having the landscaper do it
4. I have the logo on my card but not on my bid sheet
5. "winning" personality, I wish

i think its alriht to have them on you, i just never have fooled with it. might get the big truck magnet

For bidding jobs:

nope

kinda

not important

yup

partly ;)

For bidding jobs:

nope

kinda

not important

yup

partly ;)

+1

I put a sticker on my helmet and that's good enough for me. That's what I have a charming personality for :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I ask because I saw this dude the other day with patches all over his coat and hat.

He looked like a dork

Most likely he just passed the test within the last 6-12 months. Anybody that's been certified for more than a couple years typically doesn't make a big deal over it.

Its sometimes embarassing when someone asks me, with a bit of awe in their voice, "So, what did you have to do to become a Certified Arborist? How much training and how many years of college?"

Umm, well, actually, I took a simple test about 15 years ago, and then I just pay the fees to keep it updated. It really isn't that big of a deal.

Its sometimes embarassing when someone asks me, with a bit of awe in their voice, "So, what did you have to do to become a Certified Arborist? How much training and how many years of college?"

Umm, well, actually, I took a simple test about 15 years ago, and then I just pay the fees to keep it updated. It really isn't that big of a deal.

Yup. I've been embarrassed a few times by that also.

I tell people that it is a test that ensures basic competency and that it is more like a learners permit than anything.

I finally put the free sticker I was sent from ISA in the back window of my truck. It was in the envelope with my certificate for 3 years. Nobody notices it, 'cept for the occasional certified arborist.
I do, however, put my cert. # on all my biz stuff. It's practically the only official thing we've got in our industry, and I'm not embarrassed to use it. When people ask about it, I let them know that it was just a passed test & that experience and workmanship are the true measure of any arborist.
Sincerely, ISA Certified Arborist #MI3855-A

I finally put the free sticker I was sent from ISA in the back window of my truck. It was in the envelope with my certificate for 3 years. Nobody notices it, 'cept for the occasional certified arborist.
I do, however, put my cert. # on all my biz stuff. It's practically the only official thing we've got in our industry, and I'm not embarrassed to use it. When people ask about it, I let them know that it was just a passed test & that experience and workmanship are the true measure of any arborist.
Sincerely, ISA Certified Arborist #MI3855-A

I'm employed by the ISA right now, and I respect what you just said. I mean... even drivers with a CDL license can suck at driving. I view the ISA cert the same way. It's a commitment, andn being committed to an industry means alot even if the test is really not that hard.

oh yeh, i have that small decal on a side window. mr sir, i tell people it started with on the job training, then going to classes/seminars, then sitting a test and earning ceu's. its alot more than most tree companies do. .02

The ISA cert. is far more than just 'taking a test'. Surprised no one has mentioned this yet.

In order to maintain certification the arborist MUST continuously collect CEUs.
Which means that the information and knowledge we, as professionals, disseminate and practice is up to date and valid.

Ever talk to an old hack tree guy? 'I bin spurring trees for years and never yet saw one die, or, whats wrong with painting cuts? seals 'em right up sos they can heal right'.

THATS what the ISA cert. is all about. Raising the standard of tree work.

Now my rant about the isa:

It is just too bad that the ISA has set about systematic eroding/degrading the certification program in an effort to make more money.
Take for example; any cert. issued by the isa has no reciprocity with any accredited learning institution, the isa has now issued overlapping certs which duplicate each other, and the isa's 'inability' to enforce the wrongful use of the logo, and the isa moving farther and farther away from the working arborist and focusing more on esoteric subjects like which rubber sidewalk has the least environmental impact.

I also have little to no respect for the 'board master cert'. When it was being 'studied' the isa sent me a form with proposed questions. Pretty much covered what a normal cert. arborist should know.
Also the BMCA has to maintain a higher number of CEUs ('mo money for the isa) AND the BMCA HAS NO RECOGNITION with, or relation to, the ASCA (american society of consulting arborists), or with the RPF (registered professional forester. Which takes more time to achieve than a medical degree) OR with any higher learning institution.

Frankly there is always someone willing to shell out money for a cert. Remember the words of PT Barnham? "There is a sucker born every minute".
The isa loves to 'get folks on board' with those annual dues payments.

but for me personally, I advise any new arborist to get the isa cert, but if they want to further themselves, then go to a jr. college, or university. Do not WASTE your money on a cert. which means absolutely NOTHING in the professional world.

If I had gone through with it, I would be ashamed today to admit I got suckered in to purchasing that cert.

-disclaimer-

These are MY opinions, not yours. Don't like it, dont read it or listen to it.

The ISA cert. is far more than just 'taking a test'. Surprised no one has mentioned this yet.

you obviously didnt read the post directly above yours:)
i basicly agree with the rest of what you said. pnw isa makes us sit through global warming seminars and obesity in america seminars:roll: in order to get our ceu's, im paying for tree lessons not that trash

To look at it from a pure money perspective, I get a couple jobs now and then from the ISA website. The cert fees and membership fees have paid for themselves several times over.

I'll keep up the membership as long as it makes sense to do so.

I've got that sew on patch sitting somewhere, and every time I think of a place to put it, i seems hokey...like on a hat or jacket or something.

Maybe on a backpack?

love
nick

Frans,

As someone who is currently working at ISA, I'd have to agree with you on many of the points that you raised. BUT... the ISA is always trying to rethink itself, and I know that the people working there would LOVE to hear anything that you think would help make ISA work better in its role for the industry.
Also, gaining CEUs is more about motivating people to stay up to date on things that are going on. Sure it costs money, but the ISA is a non-profit, and the money that you pay goes to putting together conferences, booklets, me to do my job. Trust me, there's only 37 people that work at the ISA building, and they do EVERYTHING. There is one woman who is responsible for going after people who false advertise, and she stays very busy.

All I'm saying is, don't just bash what it is. If you have issues or ideas, put them where people can do something about them.

Frans,

All I'm saying is, don't just bash what it is. If you have issues or ideas, put them where people can do something about them.

Been doing that for years, bud. As a non-profit, she SHOULD be working her butt off at her job. After all, it is her JOB.

And as I wrote: These are my opinions, don't like them ignore them. I am not forcing you to read my posts.

Here is another example; guy gets his cert. lets it expire, but continues to place logos on all his advertising.

I have spoken with the lady in enforcement. Her take on it is she can only ask or send letters. In extreme cases she has certain legal options she can take.

Fact is, compliance is voluntary.

Here is another example;
Ever read the Journal of Arboriculture? MOST of the information comes from a higher learning institution, such as a university. NOT from the ISA or from arborists in the field.
Makes ya think about weather or not the isa is taken seriously by established learning institutions...

Here is another example: Ever heard of an isa arborist workshop? I haven't either. Just 'seminars' at the isa show.

I would like to see some reciprocity between the isa cert. and a four year degree, for example.
Also greater compliance between ASCA & the ISA. And why not TCIA? Must be some bad blood there, I don't know.

What I predict is that over time the ISA cert. will be continually watered down until it becomes outdated.

Passed over by other institutions and organizations. The BCMA is a great example of not much for ALOT of dues and CEU costs.

I have no problem with more advanced certs. But to create one with no recognition of ANY other learning institution stinks of...... just plain old revenue enhancement. NOT striving to improve our field of arboriculture .

It is sad, because the fact is, the isa has done so much. But there is so much more to do.

-Asleep at the wheel

I'm done, back to my hollow log I call home.

I understand what you're saying about the ISA, but the ISA isn't a research institution, it's more so an intermediary between disciplines in arboriculture. The people at the ISA work more so to bring the people out in the industry who are doing the new work together to share ideas and lessons about what they've learned.
I've had discussions with my boss about new things the ISA could do, such as set up online classes people could take that are more formal. Much like taking an online class at a college where the professor is there to answer questions. The problem I saw was that so much of what we all do is affected by personal ideas and interpretations about the subject. We are in an industry that is very difficult to tell people that one way is the way, and even if we could, I would get pretty bored if things were too spelled out or if there was one source, say the ISA, who was the all encompassing authority of everything tree work. I personally think that these forum sites such as TreeHouse are the new wave for finding good information because so many people with experience are on these site and willing to share their experiences. And these people are the ones who are talking at these conferences anyway! I think the ISA should give people CEUs for being members here!

Frans, Some rethinking is definitely needed at ISA though. That's for sure, and I'm also not a fan of the BCMA cert. Actually, I just realized that I qualify to take the exam right now!! So apparently, if I take the exam, pass it, and pay 350 bucks, I've "reached the pinnacle of the profession" Yeah, right!!!! I'm only 23 and I've only been climbing for four years!! Something is wrong with this picture because it's obviously NOT a way to judge someone's accomplishments in the industry.

Back