Time Lapse Tree Work

Just embed the vid, mate.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uoGS1eXxsH0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PorkB, you can save yourself some wear and tear by just hooking the sling as far out on the individual pine limb, then cut and hinge the limb down. You need to give the crane operator the signal to winch down as you're cutting.

When I KNOW I'm gonna do that, I take my speedline ropes with me and give the hook as many limbs as I have ropes... one at a time. THEN he can make off with the brush.

One limb at a time keeps me aloft longer than I need be. ;>)

It sucks when you've gotta divide your tree into quadrants, but that's just the way it goes! Up and down! TCOB! Nice Syc trim!

When I KNOW I'm gonna do that, I take my speedline ropes with me and give the hook as many limbs as I have ropes... one at a time. THEN he can make off with the brush.

One limb at a time keeps me aloft longer than I need be. ;>)

What do you use for speedline ropes, Butch? I use loop runners, but I assume you're talking about something different for craning.

So you just tied a snap on each one, and tie them to the target limbs? I'm thinking about making up some out of 3-strand, with an eye spliced on each end, one small eye for a carabiner, and the other eye a bit bigger for girth hitching around the limb. At times my loop runners are a bit short for the limbs I'm speedlining.

You use regular rope snaps, or carabiners? The newer snaps I have will barely open enough to snap onto 1/2" line. I ordered some captive eye carabiners from Wesspur last year, and now they've quit carrying them.:cry:

I loved that video, Nick.
Really unusual perspective.

I wish Danes would pay to have that kind of work done, but no way!

It is pretty much: leave them alone till they grow too big, then remove them.

Apart from pollards, which we do lots of.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wish Danes would pay to have that kind of work done, but no way!

It is pretty much: leave them alone till they grow too big, then remove them.

Apart from pollards, which we do lots of.

And pay they do! $500 to "Prune thin and deadwood".

I slowed the video down a bit (over 50%) and optimized the video/color quality. It is uploading now, it is 4:00 as opposed to the 1:30 version. The movement is nice in the slow version I think. I will post it when it is uploaded.

I will be sure to try it again, I need a gorilla tripod.

Nick, I don't know if you have noticed, but with imovie, you can speed up or slow down whichever parts of the vid that you want.

Yeah, I am not at that level of production yet.

Here it is.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ocOm1ceInzs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks for posting that. It takes work to edit the vids and patience with the optimizing, uploading, etc.

The distance between the two sides of your climbing line made me wonder, are you naked crothing that tree?

I tried the whole FS deal, even made the conduit ones. I guess for this tree I could have used one since I didnt move my TIP, but more often than not I move my TIP so much that it never seems practical. The low friction of the ring/ring never appealed to me but I should give it another chance I guess.

I've started using R&R, and like it quite well. I've made up several already, including one for rigging. I've yet to use it (the rigging one), but it's in the truck if/when I need it. I made up one with two large rings, (like Brendon mentioned), and I have a little ring to use in the center so it can be retrieved either direction.

I tried the whole FS deal, even made the conduit ones. I guess for this tree I could have used one since I didnt move my TIP, but more often than not I move my TIP so much that it never seems practical. The low friction of the ring/ring never appealed to me but I should give it another chance I guess.

You don't gotta justify yourself bro. I don't think Stig was grilling ya like that. I don't use a friction saver all that often. Mostly on conifers to keep my rope clean.

Back