Time Lapse Tree Work

I'm a natural guy myself, I like a little friction. :evil: Friction savers for crane work, and conifers, typically.

Nice vid, I gotta get me one of those time lapse cams.

You don't gotta justify yourself bro. I don't think Stig was grilling ya like that. I don't use a friction saver all that often. Mostly on conifers to keep my rope clean.

No, I just thought you moved really well in that tree and wondered why the friction didn't slow you down some.
But then Eucs and sycamores don't have much friction.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
A small job I did today...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/i9NaHOgIyoo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I just started the upload so it may not be processed for a bit. If it doesnt play check back in a bit and it will be fine I am sure..

Off to bed!

I never liked friction savers either. Tried using them for a few years and went back to using natural crotches 90% of the time. I would use one on sappy pine trees though.

Thanks guys! Glad you like them!

I put the Sycamore Prune one up at the Buzz and they all jumped on me for the FS thing. Whatever, those guys are strange.

90% of them don't use one either. They jump on you because its fashionable. They talk a good game there, but don't fool yourself into thinking half of them aren't raping trees. That's the beauty of the internet. Take pics of your best work and post them, but keep quiet as a church mouse about the butcher job you did last week because the price was right. I've never seen a stitch of trouble resulting from not using a friction saver. I'm not saying that we shouldn't use them. Simply saying I have never seen the slightest indication of trouble in a tree from the last person who climbed it. Trouble related to their climbing line I should say.

I dont want to turn this into a friction saver thread so we will leave it at this, but sometimes I climb 5 or more trees in a day, changing my TIP once, twice or more in each. Now everyday isnt like that, but IF I/we ALWAYS used a FS, ring or otherwise I feel like I wouldnt get anything done. Add to that the fact that for decades trimming has been done without them without widespread tree death and structural failure and it just doesnt seem REQUIRED.

All that being said, there is certainly a time and a place for it.

Actually a set of rings takes very little time and effort to set and retrieve most times if you are geared up for it. That said I also have never seen long term damage from not using one and I climb natural crotch more often than not anymore.
Funny thought, these same guys probably go for the natural crotch women but in the trees they want synthetic protection

I almost always use friction savers.
Not because I'm afraid of damaging trees ( I'm a logger, I kill trees for a living!) but because I hate friction in my DRT system.
Unless I'm simply going up and down.
That is why I asked if you were naked crothing.

Last edited:
Ah yeah, that's it. It was awesome now that you mention it. Was it an oak or a pine you were topping? :lol:

Nick, it's perhaps true that setting R&R friction savers is a bit tedious and time consuming, but the tubular type, either leather or conduit, really do go in and come out easy and fast.

Back