Time Lapse Tree Work

ClimbMIT, welcome to the Treehouse! Good job on the tree work and the video. What was the actual time it took you to do the job?

Nice. I wonder (being tied into the pine), if the dead snag woulda failed, what was the plan? I mean, I assume you'd come off your lanyard and have a nice swing to (or INTO) the pine... but what happens if everything happens too fast and you can't undo your lanyard?

Well yes if the whole tree failed It could have been bad. My plan was to cut my flip line with my Silky as a last resort and if I had time.
The tree was actually still alive. I sounded it out with the mallet and pull tested it before I went up. Three reasons for tying in the other tree. 1) I wanted to play on my new Vortex line :) 2) Work positioning comfort. 3) In case the top was to fail. It was winter and I couldn't tell if it was alive like the other limbs. Also I figured if at any point it was feeling soft I would have tied my flipline on a stub which was green. I had an easy shot with the big shot over a high lateral that was located on the backside of the pine which created a perfect swing away and not into the pine.

Until they invent breakaway lanyards, I rarely (and I mean RARELY) tie into another tree to be "safe."

I usually tie in other trees mainly for work positioning but I occasionly do it for back up with the thought of cutting my flip line if it were to fail.

Not dogging ya, bro. Just asking. We've had discussions about breakaway lanyards. Everything from clipping into your belt loop all the way to using zip-ties. All of them were pretty unsafe, hence the lack of breakaway lanyards. Manufacturers just don't wanna be held liable.

Thanks for your honesty! I don't feel like your dogging me I am glad to have feed back. I am here to learn brother.

ClimbMIT, welcome to the Treehouse! Good job on the tree work and the video. What was the actual time it took you to do the job?

Thanks NHlocal! I think once I started recording it was about 35 minutes? I sped it up allot and cut parts out as well to keep it interesting.

I'm always having people want me to climb a rotten tree and they always say "You can use that tree over there to tie into." I almost always say "No, I can't."

I just started climbing dead or dying trees this past year. In the past I wouldn't touch em! So far so good. Most importantly I don't rig from them or try to put any extra stress.

I constantly tie into a different tree to work a nasty tree. Its the name of the game. Be on guard, be ready, and get it done. Id probably fire a climber that wouldn't work a nasty tree provided they had a great tie in on a safe tree very close by. Use a vacuum cleaner belt off your D ring to your lanyard snap if need be. Holds your weight with no issues and would fail in an emergency.

Nice vid. And I too will readily tie in to a nice healthy high TIP in a neighboring tree to get the job done. High line a few here and there from time to time as well. Live in the forest, might as well use what mother nature provides.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What happens if the tree fails and you arent tied into the other tree? I guess it could end worse either way, but if you are riding the dead tree down disconecting wont save you, while it would have with the other setup.

I have gotten 'set' to make a cut and just removed my lanyard, cutting only with my high tie in. I have never gone so far as to use a 'breakaway' but if I did I think a zip tie would work best.

Besides you can always leave it slacked off and use it when you need it. I will take a high TIP over lanyard and spurs only any day.

Your point is valid Butch. But the reality of this work is that we take chances every day. Even in safe trees, even out of a bucket. Now, in all fairness, every tree is different. If the thing is mush and dust and nothing else, then no, I wont attach myself to it with any method. But if its flawed, but I feel I can get away with it, I tie into another tree, and gently start getting weight off the tree.

Sweet Gum. Don't know the Latin name for it and too lazy to look it up at the moment. Chilaxing
yup, same tree, Liquidambar styraciflua . we just call it liquidambar here on the west coast. good job. fwiw if i have to go up an iffy tree, and i have another option to tie in, i will use it. if it is really bad i might forgo flipping in, and if it is REALLY bad, you couldnt pay me enough to climb it. every tree requires a judgement to be made based on its own very unique set of circumstances and your own skills and judgement. good job.

Nick, I'll do one one when I get something interesting on the board. Most of my removals are the same. Run up, tie in, set lowering line, and get busy.

Nothing fancy ... just finishing up the large Silver Maple in an earlier video.

Notched, dropped, sliced & diced into manageable pieces for the volunteers to manage safely.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ci7dMBdNCWs?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Removing some small deadwood over the lane.

Really ... just trying out a simple homemade handle bar mount for the GoPro.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RyQ--APVa2s?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back