Time Lapse Tree Work

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was on the phone with AdamP for most of this climb. I hung the phone on speaker from my hardhat and except for a few sweaty face/touchscreen related issues it worked out really well.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uTGa83miSZY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jamie and Nick,
both great videos! :thumbupold:
Question for one or both of you guys, what's the best reference/resource for pruning? :?
Thanks for the videos! :D

for sheer volume of technical info i like this one http://www.amazon.com/Illustrated-Guide-Pruning-Edward-Gilman/dp/111130730X
most of my pruning education came about from tending fruit trees. lots of good info to be had from fruit tree pruning guides. gives a good insight to the physiological responses to differing pruning techniques and how you can use them to your advantage. like everything else in tree work tho, practice, practice, practice.

man, i catch shat everytime i post a pruning timelapse. Did you all know I am a heartless, money grubbing butcher?

Why do tree trimmers cry about trimming trees. I dont understand everyone on their high horse... does a plumber tell you not to replace the pipes? Who are these people?

(not here of course, i am just venting about the frustration from other locations.)

Nick, I see where you don't have the freedom to prune as you could with Davey. They are catering to certain clientele and their wishes. Someone like me, I can do more I feel is better left for the health of the tree and less is more in a lot of cases. I think that one came out nice. Just saying.

Thanks Stephen!

I mean if the client wants their tree thinned, who are we to not do it, its not like it was stripped out. I have posted video of me going to hard, and gotten good feedback from that. Feedback I applied and learned from. What I dont get is why everyone goes on and on about not cutting green out of the tree.... Isnt that what we do for a living?

You either prune the tree or wreck the tree, I dont get paid to look at it and say 'it knows how to grow'. Are you guys really going into these huge trees and only cutting out deadwood? Am I the minority or in the wrong? I couldnt imagine climbing a mature pin oak (quercus motherfrackerus) and only cutting out deadwood.

Lol quercus motherfrackerus

Like we talked about realistically that tree likely won't be pruned again forever. On trees I know won't get a touch forever I can definitely be a bit heavier handed....I'll generally avoid large cuts when pruning mature trees but have no problems putting a big pile of brush on the ground.

I hate pin oaks and think that looks good. Especially considering my added distraction!

I will, in some cases, leave small dead wood for birds... They use it for roosting and nesting. But I live in the woods where trees are more one of millions. Depends on the client as well.

Multi angle timelapse view of the removal of a broken 20"? limb from a silver maple that fell on a garage.

The worksite was surrounded by one of those plastic fences and the only real access was through the garage or the neighbors yard.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Z5_-a57U7C0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cool. Like a mouse eating an elephant......one bite at a time(feel free to use that line with customers lol)

I hate those plastic fences but to each their own.

I hate them too Squish, but it far from my place to smash it out of distaste! Although I wanted to, the thing was so flimsy you couldnt even 'hop it.

Thanks Randy, the GRCS is indispensable!

We had a total of 3 ropes on it. The butt was held on a port-a-wrap, the tip was held with the GRCS and there was a separate rope on the tip (garage side) that we ran to a rescue 8. Letting that rescue 8 off is what allowed the limb to rotate towards the house.

After lowering the tip and cutting some weight off we winched it up towards horizontal and dropped the butt to avoid having to let it down on the other side of the fence.

The whole thing was set from the ground and the roof. The only climbing was to clean the stub.

I hate them too Squish, but it far from my place to smash it out of distaste! Although I wanted to, the thing was so flimsy you couldnt even 'hop it.

Thanks Randy, the GRCS is indispensable!

We had a total of 3 ropes on it. The butt was held on a port-a-wrap, the tip was held with the GRCS and there was a separate rope on the tip (garage side) that we ran to a rescue 8. Letting that rescue 8 off is what allowed the limb to rotate towards the house.

After lowering the tip and cutting some weight off we winched it up towards horizontal and dropped the butt to avoid having to let it down on the other side of the fence.

The whole thing was set from the ground and the roof. The only climbing was to clean the stub.

And you "volunteered" to climb right.....? ;)

This is the best time lapse EVER!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/bspGMHxw4Sg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back