Time Lapse Tree Work

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Jack,

I like the composition and the mood of the scene! I would be interested in seeing what the zoom/pan quality of the image is from the GoPro.. Using iMovie if you select a clip and choose Crop-zoom or whatever its called - you can do a straight crop or a Ken Burns pan (both features are pretty self explanatory). The next time you edit some timelapse throw in a few zooms and pans so I can check it out.

Here is a new one, its unlisted so you can only see it from here. The embedding doesnt do the timelapse any justice, for my videos or anyones click through and watch it in fullscreen with the resolution turned up (the small gear icon on the bottom right).

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xXuAgav_OEo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXuAgav_OEo&feature=youtu.be

REMEMBER: If you like someones video, click the LIKE button!

Nice tree Nick, I'll bet you enjoyed that one. I think the crops/zooms and Ken Burns make for really nice editing features, but it seems like the resolution provided by your camera is a bit lacking when doing time lapses, which is surprising because the straight up video always looks quite clear. Is there any way you can increase the resolution?

it was a great tree. It was bid well so I left the bucket in the driveway, and then pulled it in to chip.

Re the resolution, I agree, the TLC200 gives a 1080p video yet when I zoom it the quality dives. It seems like the zoom quality is not correlated to the whole image quality. :(

Great video Nick, well done on the tree. :thumbup:
I agree on the quality, it's a shame it's not as good as the regular video. But good job all the same. ;)

Homemade handlebar mount, i'd like to see that... cool JB!

Bonner, awesome time lapse vid, your pruning is really starting to come around. :thumbup:

WTF on handsaw only. Your salesman should have put that hogwash to rest. If you guys are deadwooding the tree, you aren't even cutting living tissue anyhow.

Homemade handlebar mount, i'd like to see that... cool JB! ...

'Stone-Simple' GoPro spring clamp mount:
- took a microphone clamp mount (soft rubber grips) from music store.
- stuck a flat surface GoPro mount to it ... done ... :)

Clamps to a handlebar, microphone stand, chair, truck window, tree branch (<2") ... what e v e r ... :)

microphone mount.jpg

GoPro Handlebar (microphone) mount.jpg

NOT SUITABLE FOR HIGH SPEED! ;)

:thumbup:

Handsaw wasn't a problem. That's SOP for us early morning anyway. Where I live Big Green is a super premium brand. We had over $3k in billage and got it done in 24 man hours over 2 days (portal to portal - dump, travel & admin included)...

Nick that's great bro. But what is the advantage of removing dead wood with a handsaw, besides playing into someones outlandish desires? That's like them asking you to dispose of the brush in a pickup with no chipper.

It was 8am on saturday in a rich people neighborhood, we were only trying not to wake people up... It really wasnt a big deal, I could have used the bucket to prune but chose to climb just because of how nice the tree was.

If we were behind a bad bid, short on time, or had somewhere to be we would have flown the bucket with chainsaw in hand and chipper running behind it. While the other guy did some driveway pruning though I took an opportunity to make some video and climb an awesome tree.

I dont know what to tell ya guys! I just do what I am told... I would say 70% or more of the trees I climb I never even run a chainsaw, much less climb around with one.

Gotta get one of them battery operated saws to cut down on all the noise. That big ol' handsaw will take care of all those cuts no problem... Nick, you're a stud!

Jack,

I like the composition and the mood of the scene! I would be interested in seeing what the zoom/pan quality of the image is from the GoPro.. Using iMovie if you select a clip and choose Crop-zoom or whatever its called - you can do a straight crop or a Ken Burns pan (both features are pretty self explanatory). The next time you edit some timelapse throw in a few zooms and pans so I can check it out.

Thanks, Nick. :)

In my SLOWLINE vid, beginning @1:57, there is a 'Ken Burns' pan & zoom from the GoPro.

FWIW: ANY digital-zoom, no matter what camera or software, can not have the quality of a true optical zoom. Optical-zoom will focus a small image over all the pixels - retaining image quality. Whereas, digital-zoom will spread a few pixels over a larger area - decreasing perceived image quality. Most 'normal' camcorders have both optical & digital zoom requiring manual operation. The so called 'action' (hands-free) camcorders do not have either. So, 'zoom' with helmet-cams means, get closer or suffer with the editor's digital zoom.
;)

I unclipped my handsaw off my saddle 2 years ago and it hasn't returned. Which reminds me, I should put it back on there. Nick I wasn't busting your stones. I was curious about what the logic was behind this wealthy douche wanting a handsaw only. I quit catering to the wealthy and actually get along better with them nowadays. I work for plenty of wealthy folks but I get along better with them now as ive matured in the business and squash their ridiculous ideas right up front at the estimate. I used to jump through their stupid hoops but it did nothing but anger me in the end and give them a sense of employing me like I was their shoe shine. But, you are employed to do something a certain way and I respect the fact that you do things the way you are instructed to. Theres no shame in being a compliant worker. Theres a shortage of those in America these days.

2 YEARS? ... still know where it is? ... I wouldn't ... :|:

I would get sent home if I showed up without one, or at least highly chastised. In truth, I cant imagine not having a handsaw, that sounds a bit off to me, but different strokes for different folks!

Ya I should put one back on my saddle. But, anything I can do with a handsaw, I can do with a chainsaw. I don't fine prune nearly as much as I used to so that's how Ive gotten away without it. Maybe I'll tend to this matter today while its on my mind.

Tucker you might like one of those smaller folding handsaws clipped to saddle, good to have a handsaw just in case mister, you never know.

But really I'm the same way, most of the time i'm in removal mode. I'd like to be able to buy a spur that has a handsaw mounted onto it... well... and a foot ascender.

Back