The Truck Thread

He made a lotta money on hurricanes. Amongst a buncha other stuff, he has one of those giant loader trucks and a big crane.

Towing a gooseneck/5th wheel with that truck would likely require a tall riser on the neck of the trailer.

The 2015 F450 pickup has 440hp, 860ft lbs of torque with a 40klb GCWR. The 2011-2015 F550 cab and chassis are limited to 33klb GCWR, and 300hp.

Yeah, price tag is $59-73k.

With that GCWR and power I should be able to haul my excavator and track loader together. It'll be over weight according to the specs (doesn't matter much on a commercial vehicle) by 10% or so, and buying a 45-50klb tag will suck, but only having one tag/insurance/etc and a fresh warranty may be worth it.

The 2015's are back to the 19.5" wheels.

A 20 ton tag? Holy moly, that would be cumbersome. 3 15klb axles would get you there with with ~4-5k on the tongue, but I sure wouldn't want to pull it with a F450. A gooseneck would handle the weight a lot better, but still, a 24-25 ton trailer behind a 5 ton truck would be a bit interesting. What are you thinking?

I cant even imagine putting a trailer like that behind a pickup. I am more than likely going to get a triaxle 24tonne trailer to move my excavator with, but that will go behind a 6x4 60k# gvw truck. I once had a 20 tonne triaxle with a clambunk on behind a 40k# 4x4 tractor unit. we ever so slightly loaded it rear heavy, and going downhill at 40mph the trailer shook the truck around like a big tail wagging the dog. Terrifying.

The 2015's are back to the 19.5" wheels.

A 20 ton tag? Holy moly, that would be cumbersome. 3 15klb axles would get you there with with ~4-5k on the tongue, but I sure wouldn't want to pull it with a F450. A gooseneck would handle the weight a lot better, but still, a 24-25 ton trailer behind a 5 ton truck would be a bit interesting. What are you thinking?

I'm not thinking anything, you were the one talking about a 45 or 50 thousand pound trailer. I realize I should have said gooseneck, but still, wasn't my idea.;)

Goosenecks are way more polite than tag trailers, Ed. Just like 5th wheel/semi trucks. If you load it too heavy on the trailer axles, the side effect is less traction on the drive axle. That can still lead to all manner of trouble, but the wagging tendency rear-heavy tag trailers have is gone.

If the F450 is as stout as its specs suggest, it should handily out tow F550s every day of the week. The caveat is the payload capacity of the F450 is rated at 5450lbs, vs 11klbs on my F550. The F550 can take a heavier pin weight by leaps and bounds. Interestingly, the F350 has a Dana 80 rated to 9650lbs whereas the F450 has a Dana 110 rated to 9100lbs. That doesn't make sense to me in the slightest. The F450 uses 19.5" tires, so the rear axle has as much rubber capacity as the F550 (14706lbs rear axle capacity). Tools, fuel, and passengers could easily add 2klbs to the truck, plus the pin weight of the trailer.

But you can get air conditioned front seats and heated rear seats, all under a moon roof for $73k...

6.8 liter. Good engine. Pretty decent mileage with none of the PITA aspects of diesel.

We got 7.2mpg on the way back home from OH with it. Granted, we were driving into a 20-30mph wind but that's not as good of milage as u hoped.
:-(

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I would expect the mileage to improve with initial break in. I have driven 550's loaded at 65 and gotten 8-9. That was with an automatic, 500 gallons of water, three in the cab and another 1000 pounds of gear.

One thing to think about is now that gas is cheaper than diesel, how much gas can you buy for the price of the diesel option.

True and I hope the milage will improve. We decided on gas to make winter starting easier for us. The Ford salesman told us that he sells these trucks to guys up in Canada and they love them. I'm confident that we made the right choice.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I think so too. We buy em by the bucket load for the state and like them.

Its funny, I am a diesel guy from way back. Went to school for it. I still like the older diesels, they were much simpler. No particulate filter, re generation, diesel exhaust fluid. You couldn't run fast enough to sell me a new diesel. I dont believe that the average person will own a new diesel pickup free and clear for long enough to ever recoup the high cost of the option, not to mention the added maintenance and running costs.

I think it depends on how you use them. I see so many pickups and one tons, both gas and diesel, driven as cars that it's mind boggling. You have to run a diesel to make it work out. On the other hand, no gas motor is going to pull like a diesel.

Forgot to add that. And the difference seems to stay the same. $6k difference new, $6k difference with 150k miles.

I think so too. We buy em by the bucket load for the state and like them.

Its funny, I am a diesel guy from way back. Went to school for it. I still like the older diesels, they were much simpler. No particulate filter, re generation, diesel exhaust fluid. You couldn't run fast enough to sell me a new diesel. I dont believe that the average person will own a new diesel pickup free and clear for long enough to ever recoup the high cost of the option, not to mention the added maintenance and running costs.
Tag price on mine was $65,000, I paid 49,000. So pretty much paid same as the gasser, I'm getting almost 800 km to a tank after the break in period. I did a lot of research on my truck and the competition before I bought it. 3/4 of my equipments diesel and the remaining gas. I love it so far! It's going to be a busy truck this year that's for sure!

It's just the standard 400 gallon tank, Steve.:lol: Actually, I don't know what it has. My F350 had a 42 gallon tank. I could never afford to fill past half way. I think on a Dodge cab and chassis you can get a 56 gallon in addition to the standard tank, which is 34. You practically need a commercial license with hazmat to drive a heavier truck these days.:|:

Tag price on mine was $65,000, I paid 49,000. So pretty much paid same as the gasser, I'm getting almost 800 km to a tank after the break in period. I did a lot of research on my truck and the competition before I bought it. 3/4 of my equipments diesel and the remaining gas. I love it so far! It's going to be a busy truck this year that's for sure!

I would say you definitely bought it right. Work pickups and fleet vehicles are a little better, but the point I try to make is when my friends buy a brand new diesel pickup with a bunch of extra options for 65,000 dollars and finance it for 72 months is that all it is going to do is cost them. They will not see any savings by owning the diesel. On the other hand I would not finance a gasser for 72 months either. The power is nice, that is for sure.

My 06 F250 has 24-27 useable gallons in the main tank. I have a 1600 mile range with the the extra 100 gallons in the back.

Back