The Official Work Pictures Thread

Went back to a willow removal I started a couple weeks ago before my vacation. Busted my arse for two hot and humid 8 hour days but had fun. Was overweight at the dump by almost 600 kgs on my first load (fullsize F250 and 6x6 trailer) but the dump guy for whatever reason reduced the charge from $80cdn to $13.

ALAPing the stump proved to be more trouble than it was worth for my short bar. The stump guy can deal with it in trade for my recommendation.

start_resized.jpg stop_resized.jpg done_resized.jpg

I had a short time window yesterday to take as many branches as possible and prep it for a take down. The main targets are the house, an in-ground pool and a patio. I had to rope down every branch whatever their size was. I still have to go back, clean out the stubs and take it down. I went up SRT, left a false crotch (sling and steel carabiner) and a throw line. I am wondering if I should go back up SRT or DDRT. before.jpg after2.jpg

Clean out the stubs?

It sure is easier and safer to do that as you go and not leave them till later. I've stripped lots of trees so the crane could come and knock them all out in one day.

But never any stubs.

Stubs kill. I learned that early on. They snag your rope, they catch falling limbs and flip them into breakable obstacles, and if you kick out then you can catch a stub with a body part and impale or break yourself.

Treework... from the ground taking pics... end weight the tree...reduce the outliers..... recent limb failure stuck his 66 Camaro...
4b355c67c06cc47c5e8d0c1856d2ce3d.jpg
a68862d42cffa1d6e78406f77cf758e7.jpg
274efca03f4120752d33463d79d1d5b7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

31EB4106-22EF-4452-AB26-9296D7F9D012.jpg 59027EA7-64D2-4A4C-BD11-B0C0263D2151.jpg
Another nice size removal in a some what tight area. I was told to use the truck since the estimator didn?t bid it to climb. Thing can only be where it is parked because of power lines to the rear and takes up well over half of the drop zone. We will finish with the tops in the morning and I?m gonna put the spurs to it for the spar. I?d rather rig toward the lawn than the brick and stone patios.

Power Up

Worked for 2 different property owners today. 1st job was to remove a Siberian elm at the rear, literally growing in the power lines. Apart from that slightly hairy aspect, a simple methodical dismantle. "Piece Out, Bro!" was the battle cry of the day. Also a small dead tree (16" DBH) in the front and a hackberry hanger from some of the recent storms.
P1340948.jpg P1340952.JPG P1340964.JPG P1340969.JPG P1340971.JPG

2nd property owner, the goal was to head back a large sycamore leader going toward her duplex, as well as removing several hackberries, mulberries a couple small elms in a stand, and a decaying box elder. Also lower deadwood on a catalpa The tenant had a 110 lb. American Bulldog and needless to say, there was some residue around. Around the other side, one leader of a co-dominant hackberry and several limbs going toward her building's roofline.
P1340976.JPG P1340980.JPG P1340985.JPG P1340994.JPG P1350005.JPG P1350017.JPG P1350019.JPG

choking right at the very end of the log will help it sit on the tray to be able to move the winch line choke and pull it in easier (unless there is a reason for pulling above the feed chute).

Yes, there was a reason -- dog mines everywhere and the shape of the box elder trunk made him pull it up at a 45 degree angle, then settle it back down onto the table. I was just grabbing the camera then from the truck, so not sure the full particulars. Well, that and the op is known to do some interesting, creative maneuvers...

In them old cottonwood fields back home...

Live wire? Oh yes! Climber's also an electrician (his dad is a Master Electrician, as well as a CA, 30+ year arborist with Davey and FK).

Quick follow up on yesterday's job (2 more small sycamore branches over the property line), dumped, then on the way to Tonganoxie, KS (great native Indian name). The fun today was a multi-leader cottonwood which has already lost a couple of large limbs and a lighting struck oak that too was losing limbs in the recent storms. No real climbing, just drop-n-chip in a wide open field. Even though it's pretty junk wood for firewood, we went ahead and brought out the log truck to save as much wood as possible, to avoid multiple dumps with the chip truck. But as it turned out, a Christian camp just down the road took at least one load for their playground. We tried to pull out the stump with the log truck, but no dice. I wrecked down the main trunk, cut rounds and slices with the 395. I'll be back out for a nice long stump grinding session!
P1350045.jpg P1350048.jpg P1350057.jpg P1350064.JPG

lightning-oak.jpg
After dropping the oak, then the lady of the house asked us to take a look at another cottonwood out back -- which happened to be covered with poison ivy. She just wanted one leader down, which was overhanging the children's playground area and their spa. Sure, we can do that... for a fee! We were going to be wrapped up a bit early in the afternoon, but the added work in the back with slower poison ivy handling slowed things down to keep us there till 6 pm. Clean and tidy, all wrapped up and dumped at a farmer's place where the chips won't be handled directly.

IMG_20180731_133247768_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180731_135516185_HDR.jpg

Looong fir limb over barn. The limb that reaches over the front corner of the barn is from the tree, second to right.
Two more-indepth canopy raise over the barn tomorrow, if groundie is over food poisoning.

Back