The Official Work Pictures Thread

Sorry boss, been super busy over the last 3 days, hardly posted much at all. Just now playing catch-up with the 2nd half of the week job pics.
(I posted the one pic of the competitors and told that story in How'd It Go Today -- but not the whole run down of the day.)

Had a nice climb today. I don't pickup too many trim jobs and forgot how much fun it is to go through a tree looking for deadwood.. :thumbup:

Elmresize.jpg

Dontcha just love it when the customer doesn't want to see a single twig without leaves on it? You know, the so very thorough job that requires delicate tightrope limbwalking? Usually we try to sell the job as lower deadwood -- what a normal customer is likely to notice from the ground. Extra thorough = extra $$$.

I spent 5 hours in a 45' tree earlier this year at my hourly job. Customer wanted 100% deadwood prune. Hard not to feel silly chasing down six inch dead twigs at the top. Kind of fun in a way too, not something you get to/have to do all the time

I usually set a minimum diameter. Length might make sense as another parameter.

2" and less diameter usually, unless they want 1". I may well clean out more, but giving that spec, anything that they see will be under that size, or obviously at the bottom and easy to get.

I hate deadwooding, dating back from my time working in London, hours of arsing about only to be told by the boss I’d missed a bit.

Give me destruction any day, every day.

Yes, the contrast is shocking for sure. We love wrecking down a tree (as August says, "I live for that -- the shockwave...") -- but for sure a prune is definitely far more calming & peaceful, esp. if it's Silky-quiet, handsaw & pole pruner work.

104F up here. 44ft crispy spruce drop and chip. Just over 20 cu ft of chips dumped off just outside the paddock. This is my typical job. I'd like a bigger wheel barrow.

20180806_100347.jpg

20180806_104342.jpg

Peter, do you guys have wheelie-bins for recycling and trash. They make ok chip catchers and great chip transporters, especially downhill.

If you roll them over onto the side opposite the hinge, the wheels won't fight you. If you push it back and forth, the bin will crawl up the chips as the chips fall out from under the bin. No need to lift the bin off, or fight the load.

If filling from a pile, I lay it on the side opposite the hinge, rake rather than lift a lot the chips, tip it up onto the base, then lift the rest of the chips up and into the bin. You can fill it with chips and balance the load almost entirely on the wheels on pavement or smooth gravel, so the wheels bear the weight mostly.

Crackberry 2

Wow, this story is beginning to sound all too familiar: hackberry multileader over a house and power lines, cracking down its included bark. Under advisement, the property owner put up ratchet straps last week after we estimated it. He got several other prices, then had us come out yesterday to take down the tree. This one was alley access, with the tree growing in the back yard down below the alley level (which is up on a parking area retaining wall). So we were set up at least 10 feet above ground level, and this one's canopy was about half of the previous monster. So this time no spider lift was needed, just climbing and craning everything out, feeding the chipper in the alley. Done in 2 hours!

P1350242.JPG P1350247.jpg P1350252.JPG P1350261.JPG P1350262.JPG P1350288.JPG P1350294.JPG P1350307.JPG P1350345.JPG P1350376.jpg P1350390.jpg

Then just a simple drop-n-chip of 4 declining fruit trees (crew o' two), then some stump grinder maintenance to finish the day.
P1350412.JPG P1350413.JPG

Two hours is some good time for that tree. Sometimes I'd slow down a bit just so the customer wouldn't think I was ripping them off!

Nice work!

Sean, I have been looking for a used one, new ones are like $600!!! (Commercial quality)

My 2 wheel barrow can hold 10cu ft, I am considering making the sides higher, squeeze another 4 cu ft.

Two hours is some good time for that tree. Sometimes I'd slow down a bit just so the customer wouldn't think I was ripping them off!
When you have our kit, it was easy to crane out & feed in whole leaders and major branches into the 18" chipper. Made it go fast, plus we saved 3 logs from the main trunk on the log truck, so no cookies or slices saved a bunch of chipping time. 2 hours is actual work time. I'd say the chip truck was on site for close to 3 hours -- incl. set up and final clean up, treat stump, extra vine and sapling cleanup (freebie). 2 climbers had an important meeting to go to by 10:30, so they headed out, leaving us other 3 to finish off by 11.

Co-owner didn't seem put off when he showed up at 11 & the work was done -- he seemed impressed and wanted us to do another tree for him. They had gotten a handful of other estimates and I think every one of them was pricing it high to not do the work, since it was tight access with all the lines and tenant vehicles around. Plus, without a crane, the stepped down property would've made access highly challenging. So no matter how fast it got done, they got a bargain deal on it!

Nice work!

Sean, I have been looking for a used one, new ones are like $600!!! (Commercial quality)

My 2 wheel barrow can hold 10cu ft, I am considering making the sides higher, squeeze another 4 cu ft.

What about 2 fixed, 2 swivel casters on a floor, with fold-up or removable stake-pocket-walls with steel corner slotted/ tabbed trailer wall connectors?

With two sides or just 2x4" stakes, it would make a brush/ gear hauler, too.

Willie has a Rotator pic revving two big big saw on hi home built cart, from back in the day.

Built to fit your discharge chute, you're going to have blow-by.

Do homeowners have them for curbside service?

Sean

I'd like something like what you describe, something light weight.
Custys usually have nothing for material handling, even the "new" farmers or even large property owners. Strange.

Olympia Farmers' Market/ Marina area... Regional real estate company is moving in... Ash in tree wells needed to be made shorter.

IMG_20180808_122448361.jpg
Two done, one left.

The two done.
IMG_20180808_122445516.jpg

Willie's cart
IMG_20180807_142056604_HDR.jpg

Locust and maple
IMG_20180807_174911638.jpg

IMG_20180807_174904071.jpg

Locust and maple
IMG_20180807_181346952.jpg
nonsense for tension side hinge wood. Hoped for a whizzie, which worked a treat on a dead fir recently, but it was mush. Had enough headlean and not too much sidelean, and being longstanding dead, it was dry and light up top.
IMG_20180807_175949345.jpg

Back