The Official Work Pictures Thread

Some piece of ash, there!

Even without water close to cool off, you can help by laying in the shade with as much ground contact as possible, as it will be a heatsink and will suck heat out of your body.

I did this in Death Valley when daytime highs were 100+. At night, it was too hot to sleep, until doing this. I've done it in humid, hot areas, too.

If the ground is 90 degrees, and your 98.6+, the ground will be cooler, and cooling should work.

My dogs dig a hole and lie in it to cool off.
But they aren't logging to scale.

We won't be making much money off this job, we are simply not putting the amount of wood on the ground that we'd be in cooler weather.

Ahhh logging camp. I can nearly smell it from here. :D

Hope the weather gives you a break and you get some cooler temps.

Yep.
It is unbelievably how stinky saw pants get after being sweated through for a couple of days.
That golden odour of sweat and chain lube:lol:

I'll have to redo all the Bachelor buttons in mine this weekend.
I simply couldn't adjust my suspenders to hold them up, once they were soaked through, so I'll have to lower the buttons.

Speaking of suspenders, let me bump this thread: https://www.masterblasterhome.com/s...suspender-wearing-pardners&highlight=spenders

They are simply the best.

In 40 years of logging, I've worn out a lot of different suspenders.

These are second to none!

You have summed up exactly why almost nobody in Florida ever wears chainsaw pants. I've never worn them and doubt I'd last one day in them if I had to put them on and go to work. We average about 95-100 days per year over 90 degrees, which is almost a third of the year. They are difficult to wash, some guys say they never wash them. I couldn't imagine wearing the same pants two days in a row, never mind months at a time.

I'm still waiting for the day they put chainsaw g-strings on the market.

Till then I'll have to suffer the pants.

Good pics and storytelling Stig.

We work in 90+ degrees maybe 14 days a year so we can (like this week) just say bollocks to it and delay.

So if I worked in Florida I doubt I’d be wearing them either.
In fact I doubt I’d do this job.

Imagine having an employee cut himself and not wearing PPE.

The horror!

It happens once in a while. They get stitched up and life goes on. I've been cut twice, both times on my hands. I was wearing work gloves. I did stick a gaff in my leg once about 20 years ago climbing a pine tree in the rain. Live and learn.

Yup.
Doesn't work here when you have employees, though.

The authorities crack down on you hard.

Did a shaping reduction donation job for my bosses township. Wasn?t really happy about one of the wealthiest parts of the state getting a donation but I made it look OK
E90E9F46-E5F4-4EBD-B37A-4ABCD7E06F13.jpg
There were a bunch of ornamentals that are not pictured. Most of them turned out good. The last guy really f-d things up. Made everything hard to do. Believe it or not, I took 15-20 feet off of the ?historical? silver maple weed. Should’ve went a bit harder on the road side but whatever.

Nice place there Stig. We are having the same heatwave as you. I am just not acclimatised to anything above 20C so work is at a reduced pace. At least logging you have the luxury of choosing hours, this week we had a client that did not allow us onsite until after 9.30am as she did not like being disturbed early in the day:|: she paid handsomely for that......

I sympathise with you on the heat and sweat Stig...I was working mostly two shirt days...then had a couple of three shirt days!
The morning one was soaked by 20 mins of starting, hang it up in the sun at lunchtime, dry enough to put on again after, and have a spare for going home in. Got to do the groceries and stuff on the way home...have to try and look respectable, never mind freeze in the AC in a wet shirt.

When the sweat starts popping out from the middle of your cheeks...that's hot.
I only wore saw pants a couple times, doing ground work...forget 'em for aerial work. I had some clogger climbing pants...they were ok, but the material is quite thin and I like a bit more protection, Bisley and FXD work pants were ok.

Now I'm back to saw pants with thermals underneath...

Cali on fire !
I didn't really realized that we are in the middle of a hot summer and that leads to wild fires coming back again, until you post the giant cloud of smoke from the plane. Too bad.

Jeez, Stephen.
I just read about that in the paper an hour ago.
When it said Mariposa, I thought of you.

With the historic drought we have here, it is only a question of time before some of the coniferous forests go up in flame.

Trees and bushes are dying all over. my pasdtures and lawns are all brown. We've not experinced something like this in my life time.

Sleeping under that Sequoia and looking at Maples that have lost their leaves, made me think of your area and the California Buckeyes in summer.

Good show Stig and Rich!

I've been asking for a working garden hose at jobs, a presoak has been helping, a wet towel around the neck when it's really hot.

Bad news Stephen!

And they think those Greek fires might be arson..
Even the UK is having fires!

Working in the heat, I have to soak my hair completely, let it drip on to my shirt..helmet on, vents open, really helps for the first hr or so

IMG_20180728_110936796.jpg

Dead,
Sapwood decay-fungi
Cryptosporus volvatus, or something
Lean toward shed and swing set. A pile of bandsaw-milled fir from clearing for the house, at the top of the lay-out,
and sweep in the butt,

so springboard, 90* retainer line, pull-line, whizzy...bada Bing bada boom!
Left the ~10' stub per customer request.

Homeowner clean up. Existing customer.

No matter how many times I said "No, thank you" to their offers to help, and relating stories of danger from distractions, distance = safety, etc,

The father and son kept trying to help (and the dad is mostly/ pretty deaf). I got distracted by the customer and nicked my pull rope when cutting it out from under the log, Luckily, 8' from the end.

Ended up moving the truck as close as possible to the garage to the driver's side, in order to get a better angle, closer to 90*.

More Doug-fir snags. Laminated root rot, and drought, lack of mulch, competition.
Have to go finish this job tomorrow.

Clinometer shot. Out of frame are the "fieldgoal posts" that meant I couldn't turn the face into what looks like a clear layout.
Had to make this one shorter in order to only scare a shed, so the handy dandy spring board...not an everyday tool, but great when needed!
IMG_20180717_132841486.jpg

IMG_20180717_132835035.jpg

IMG_20180717_132804571_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180717_132809152_HDR.jpg

Back