The Official Work Pictures Thread

I'd like one, but only if a regular lift couldn't be used. Not a real fan of how slow and delicate they are...

Good stuff all around! Kyle, if you ever get a chance to document some of your pipe work, it'd be cool to see what you were describing. Especially the last rig setup you described. I'm guessing it's not the kind of work environment where you can say "hold up guys, let me get some pictures of this."

Pictures are usually instant firing, big no no. I can definitely do some picks of that rig tho. And no waiting around isn't in the cards lol. I got some old pics of different stuff that i can probably put up. I'll start a thread.

"hold up guys, let me get some pictures of this."

If it didn’t get you fired you would leave on your own due to the harassment from coworkers. I seen a guy take a selfie with one of his welds in the background and asked him if he was a 12 y/o kid or what. BIG no no.

I'd like {a spider lift}, but only if a regular lift couldn't be used. Not a real fan of how slow and delicate they are...
Agreed -- plus, a bucket is 2x faster, so we're not big fans of them, plus the 55' reach was a real limiting factor yesterday. But it got the job done for lightening the tips (you can see in the middle pictures how much the ratchet straps had slacked), and the lift kind of grew on us through the day. I think we're still set on a 65-75' bucket, though.

Kind of surprised we outbid a couple of other companies on this, since we had to factor in the rental. But then again, we have the grapple truck to handle the big wood, whereas others would have likely had to hire in a crane. The high bid was something like $9K, and that was "leave the wood." But we gave 2 options -- take it to the fork or take it to the ground for $1K more. They chose to leave the main trunk for the time being, and being a 50/50 split between the neighbors made it doable financially for them. And good for them, we beat that storm, saving their house & garage apartment, almost assuredly!

Spider legs have a place in day to day work. Not every day unless one uses a crane. I?ll use a spider leg a few times a month maybe. Give me a crane and it?s almost every pick till the spar

Almost 40 years of crane work and I've never seen the need to use a spider leg. Maybe I don't know WTF I'm doing. :/:

Edit: I think I may have tried it once or twice many moons ago but it just seemed like a waste of time.

Edit #2: Do two chokers on the ball count as a spider leg? I do that a lot to balance a horizontal limb that can't be stood(standed?) up straight.

Nice one. No one in the UP has pools. . . like no one. haha...

Everyone in Florida has a pool... like everyone. And almost everyone has a screen enclosure around it. It makes the 30" wide SpiderLift a must-have for elevation and cutbacks in the back yard.

The 300-450 lb weight limit for a bucket truck is determined by the fiberglass bucket, not the boom. My bucket is only rated for 400 lbs but the material handler right next to it is rated for 2000 lbs.

That's not your average boom truck. Your truck is rated for more at the tip then I recall mine being rated for at the end of the lower boom. I never did any form of craning with mine though. But I remember there was a spec to put a lift eye at the end of the lower boom if so desired.

I like Brian's bucket, but the ones I've seen like his move pretty slow. Does your move fast, B?

Not as fast as a line clearance bucket but the hydraulic cylinders are much bigger so it takes more fluid to fill and move them. My small truck is really quick, especially with the squirt boom. If I can reach it with the small truck I won't even consider bringing the big truck.

Brian’s bucket is basically a power company truck from my understanding. The material handler is meant to hoist things into place while bolting them together.

Mellow (Brett?), cranes are designed to pick static loads up and set them down. A spider leg helps eliminate movement. When done right the cut should be made, saw stowed, and letting the crane operator know it’s his to fly away. Two slings count I guess. Balances the load well. I just know that movement can cause an overload rather quickly. Spider legs placed properly can let you take bigger pieces while staying within the 80% capacity range.

It would be nice to have all three types of lifts in the fleet... pick and choose for the jobs!!! :rockon:

Brian - can you idle yours up and make it move faster?

No pony motor, right?

Edit #2: Do two chokers on the ball count as a spider leg? I do that a lot to balance a horizontal limb that can't be stood(standed?) up straight.

Exactly that.

Two non-adjustable legs.

Textile spiderlegs are just adjustable, as they are hitched to the log at any point in the leg.

Three legs makes a tripod.

I bet that a lot of guys that are good with spider-legs are good with single chokers, too. I bet a small number of guys use them as crutches.

I got by for 40 years without...doesn't mean its not better with an addition tool.

Totally understand you not being able to take pictures at you place of work Bob.

Could easily give away The Colonels secret blend of 11 herbs and spices.

Back