The Official Work Pictures Thread

Gp,i weld for a living, and fabricate all sorts of stuff. I bought an Arbor trolley. It's seriously like adding two guys to the crew if you aren't running iron on the job, i haven't regretted it for one second. And it fits on the chipper tray, taking up no room, in fact, it acts as a tailgate for the chipper tray to hold things in place. You can move huge rounds with it, brush piles over 6 ' tall, and no sticks dropped along the way. It's really as good as everyone says it is, and Reg designed it. You can add a few spots on the sides to put a chain and a padlock on it if you are worried about it growing legs. Fab up a small log arch and see if you can add a spot on the chipper to carry that too, and you will be wondering why you ever just drug wood from a back yard the hard way. Lacking iron, it is probably the most time and labor saver on the entire job. With as much work as you do, I'm sure you agree that material handling is the name of the game, and for a human powered tool it does not get better. It is seriously worth every penny.

:lol: you got me there B, but it's the truth. I was so gonna build one, but then when i got it and used it, i realized whatever i would have built would have been vastly inferior.

The log arch, like the CoolVest, is something that once you get it you'll never be w/o it again.

That's what we're talking about! (and seriously considering...)

Still trying to envision an application for an AT in our workflow. I know we would have some use for it, but generally I think it would sit idle. Usually the chipper is close and we have the winch to pull stuff. Unless it's a trinket and turf preservation scenario, we don't tend to dice stuff down small enough to make the AT useful. Long hauls are more of a rarity for us, maybe once or twice a week...

Oh, and we have our own home-built log arch that is pretty rugged -- I'll try to get a pic of it. We carried it a lot last year on the chipper, but haven't carried it much this year. Usually we're cutting main trunks up in place and hauling out cookies and halves with the hand truck -- a much more compact, less unwieldy tool. And if turf damage isn't a concern, we're just skidding logs out with the winch, direct to the chipper.

I have a winch on my chipper as well and have used it maybe a dozen times ,since I bought it two years ago, when Sancho is not on site when working solo. A mini is not a consideration it is a must. If you are on the fence, well, fall off and go buy a mini.

Yesterday was 96 degrees, 80 percent humidity...

...and we all thought we were going to die! The 2 morning jobs were no problem:

1). Remove 4 broken limbs in a silver maple (storm damage from a couple of weeks back).
P1330201.jpg P1330224.jpg

2). Prune a whippy American Elm over a garage roof and over the driveway. Ugly tree, not much to do for it as far as shape goes -- but we met the utility objectives:
P1330231.jpg P1330240.jpg

3). Then came the next job in the open, fully blazing afternoon sun. The ground was radiating heat, we made numerous trips to the spigot to cool down, downed 2 or more gallons of water apiece, plus our Ultima electrolyte drink. We took down a stone dead Rock Maple, full of ants, possibly some disease. Going to have it sampled at the extension office. Then pruning a Siberian Elm over their driveway. I think we were all moving at half speed, which is why we didn't get done till 6:30 pm. That and the maple shattered into a million pieces when we dropped it, making cleanup a real chore.
P1330243.jpg P1330251.jpg P1330258.jpg P1330264.jpg P1330272.jpg

Gp, take this picture you posted for example. That beast of a man is dragging 2 limbs out, with the butts dragging. With an Arbor trolley he would easily carry about 5 to 8 times as much, with less effort, and absolutely no lawn damage. And he would be able to fit through a 36" gate. Since you have a large chipper, you are able to process huge limbs. Cool, take the handle off and move whole limbs to the chipper. It literally adds wheels to wood.

P1330181.jpg

106 Fahrenheit today

Weather prediction was showing 103 degrees today. We debated about going to work today, after yesterday afternoon and feeling zapped out by the heat. But knowing that we would be working in an extremely shady back yard made it seem doable. However, the goal was to open up the tree canopies to allow sunlight in -- so we knew we would be progressively losing shade through the day. We started behind the back fenceline on an easement, taking down a multitude of small elms, cutting vines down off of some cottonwoods, and then I removed a medium mulberry and a small elm. We didn't have to haul anything out from there, as it was by a creek with plenty of downed brush already to mix with it. (And yes, Stig, it was rather foresty.)

In the backyard, we pruned back 2 American elms from the roofline and opened up their canopies. Then it was on to a more thorough pruning of 2 Osage Oranges (aka hedge apples). Full deadwood, pulling back from the rooflines, and opening up the canopies, removing several leaders and many branches. Today's 106 degrees actually felt far more comfortable than yesterday's 96, as it was quite a bit less humid at only 50%, as well as the shade and a nice breeze at times. We drank loads of water and the homeowner gave us some cold sodas, so we made it through! Whew!

Before
P1330288.jpg P1330289.jpg

After
P1330314.jpg P1330319.jpg P1330326.jpg P1330316.jpg

Back