The Official Work Pictures Thread

That’s what I plan on telling them boss. I did a walk through and there are a bunch that are beyond saving and will recommend ( and I’m not technically qualified to do assessments) what I think should be done. I’m gonna do the ISA thing this year and go straight after TRAC. Seems only fitting since I do nasty removals daily

I agree with Brian.

Make it enough that they will wait if it can wait, and if it can't wait, you need to reorganize life, Now, maybe interfering with family plans or other work previously scheduled.

If you have to bail on a homeowner, mid job, to do emergency work, you will be able to discount the homeowners work for inconvenience, or add free work paid by the padding.

Storm work is mostly dangerous compared to day to day tree work. High risks, high skill sets, higher incidences of oversights that lead to damage expenses (could be a trailer light, a chainsaw, a heat pump, etc). Statistics are statistics. Over time everyone breaks something.

That’s what I plan on telling them boss. I did a walk through and there are a bunch that are beyond saving and will recommend ( and I’m not technically qualified to do assessments) what I think should be done. I’m gonna do the ISA thing this year and go straight after TRAC. Seems only fitting since I do nasty removals daily

You have to be a CA to take and test for TRAQ, IIRC, FWIW.

That’s the plan Sean. CA and then trac. That little piece of paper can make a big difference to the right people. Also one of my local communities has asked for the same quote plus doing the yearly contract for street trees. Big green does the power lines for them. I don’t want that but the other stuff is very tempting. I went down to four days for the boss and everything is telling me to turn in my notice.
And Brian, I agree. The trustees passed on a job I bid last year, got someone at over half the cost, and admitted that the total after all was said and done was even. Wasn’t a fair bid.

...I don't want that but the other stuff is very tempting. I went down to four days for the boss and everything is telling me to turn in my notice.
Wow, Rich. That sounds like an opportunity but I'd think long and hard about it (pros and cons), talk it over with your wife, get some objective advice wherever you can find it -- before branching out on your own. Ultimately, I can't really advise you from afar to do anything other than follow your heart and do what is best for you & your family. But there are painful realities to starting and running your own business, so think long & hard before making the plunge. How are you financially (paycheck to paycheck or do you have savings -- can you make it 2-3 months with spotty income)? Are you disciplined enough to set aside $$$$$ in the fat busy season for the leaner winters? Do you have a realistic picture of what your expenses would be if you go on your own? And what equipment do you have to start off (pickup truck, trailer, saws, climbing gear, PPE)? Again, hard to advise you from afar. If I were younger I'd probably consider starting my own business, but as it is, my conservative nature finds it far more secure to stay with the school of fish than try to fend off the sharks alone.

3 Today

1). More leftover storm cleanup work. Took out a large broken hackberry limb over a driveway (Excuse me, could you move your car?) -- lowered down & pieced out. Done in a jiffy.

2). Multi-leader hackberry over someone's house needed removing. Homeowner has been worried for 2 weeks now, since the back leader is separating and may release the other 2 leaning leaders on his house. We braced it up with a ratchet strap a week ago, but haven't been able to get back to it till today. We're down our ground man today (he seems to be the next victim of the bug going around), so I had to pull double duty running rigging on the GRCS and other ground duties. It was a leave-the-wood job, so just branch tips for chipping. The tree was mostly down when the ominous rumbling of thunder began and the sky got increasingly darker as the storm clouds rolled in. We finished up the last 45 minutes in the rain, but at least it was cooler than yesterday (and about the same humidity level!) Customer was happy and we'll be back for another go-round on a stand of 3 mulberries to finish clearing out his back yard of all tree-like objects.

P1320781.jpg P1320787.jpg P1320789.jpg P1320806.jpg P1320803.jpg

3). The final job was a drop-n-leave out at a cabin outside town. They had about a dozen trees marked and just wanted them safely felled. They would handle the firewood & pitch-in-the-woods disposal duties. Yay! Paid to make a big mess; great way to end the day! I missed half the action while dumping the chip truck, but got in on the tail end of it to stump cut a number of the remains with the 395XP. Also, after seeing his Poulan Pro, I had pity on the homeowner and chunked up the largest log for him so he could load it in his pickup. He and his son were pretty impressed at the saw & 3 foot bar, but more so how fast it ripped through the larger logs and saved him a bunch of time.

P1320821.jpg P1320828.jpg

P1320826.jpg
Quite the different sound coming from the Poulan vs. our usual Husq gear -- same size as our 346, but probably half the power. (To say nothing of the 372 & 395 we had out doing the felling & stump cuts.)

8:00 am
12E36A64-D05D-4CE9-AB24-4C68AB6EE8F7.jpg
11:00 am
04328C99-F958-4B1E-8774-C16AA742CE28.jpg
11:15 am
BF96F868-BE00-4846-AF81-ED6F9D35AD00.jpg
Nice finish to a 3 day job. We removed 9 Norway spruce and a maple Tuesday and Wednesday. The beech went really well for being the ?big tree? of the job. The spar left one nice crater for the stump and restoration crew to deal with:D

Wow, Rich. That sounds like an opportunity but I'd think long and hard about it (pros and cons), talk it over with your wife, get some objective advice wherever you can find it -- before branching out on your own. Ultimately, I can't really advise you from afar to do anything other than follow your heart and do what is best for you & your family. But there are painful realities to starting and running your own business, so think long & hard before making the plunge. How are you financially (paycheck to paycheck or do you have savings -- can you make it 2-3 months with spotty income)? Are you disciplined enough to set aside $$$$$ in the fat busy season for the leaner winters? Do you have a realistic picture of what your expenses would be if you go on your own? And what equipment do you have to start off (pickup truck, trailer, saws, climbing gear, PPE)? Again, hard to advise you from afar. If I were younger I'd probably consider starting my own business, but as it is, my conservative nature finds it far more secure to stay with the school of fish than try to fend off the sharks alone.

A bit further along than a pickup and a few saws;). Ducks are in a row. Just a bit of hesitation because of fear of failure. It?s becoming less and less though.

I wish I had a stump and restoration crew. Sancho pisses and moans a bit on stump clean ups. So I tell him if he ever wants to see his family again he better change his attitude. :/: Or else!

Rich, I'm far from one to give you advice, especially sitting where i am, not being in your shoes, with your responsibilities. But from what i know about you, you have a skill set that very few people have. From the sounds of it, you are basically carrying your current employer, who I'm sure knows it. I'm sure if it happens to go south on your own, you could always secure another job, either with your current employer, or one of his competitors. Here's how i see changing jobs, which I'm sure you know in construction is a very common occurrence.

I do the same level, speed, quality, and effort at work, no matter who i work for (myself included). Because of this, and I'm certain my charming personality and dashing good looks ;), i tend to work for contractors over an extracted period of time, often longer than the original call out. If work is very slow, I'll happily plug away. However, if things sour, i start planning my escape plan. The most important part of it is how busy everything is. If there's no work anywhere, I'm lucky to be employed, so nothing is done. But, like a catfish roaming to a new feeding pond, you have to move when the water is high. The economy seems to be stable and growing (in certain areas), so if the water's high enough, it might be time. Only you can make that call, but that's how i look at it. I'm sure you will have growing pains from time to time, but the lack of drama and working to standards that you alone set I'm sure will be very rewarding and profitable. :) good luck man!

A bit further along than a pickup and a few saws;). Ducks are in a row. Just a bit of hesitation because of fear of failure. It?s becoming less and less though.

Rich, purely on what I?ve read that you?ve posted...

You?re like a bloke who is fed up with his girlfriend but doesn?t have the guts to end it with her because he?s scared of being alone. So he treats her worse and worse hoping the decision will be taken out of his hands and she will chuck him at some point.

Your current employer will find someone else, everyone will be happier.

Get on with it!

Moving and grooving Rich!

Been doing crispy critters. Lots of live oak dying out. Hell, lots of trees dying out. Had to steer this side leaner into the clearing we made.... dusty hot work in 100*.

Attachments

• 20180622_104815.jpg
    20180622_104815.jpg
    620.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 20180622_104825.jpg
    20180622_104825.jpg
    652.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 20180622_104848.jpg
    20180622_104848.jpg
    579.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 20180622_104940.jpg
    20180622_104940.jpg
    611 KB · Views: 37
  • 20180622_104922.jpg
    20180622_104922.jpg
    537.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 20180622_104905.jpg
    20180622_104905.jpg
    571.1 KB · Views: 37
Been fixing some severly neglected roads in the hood in my spare time. 2 thousand tons of base rock later, and Im tired. Back to the trees on Monday. Thank Gawd!
IMG_0915.jpg IMG_0926.jpg IMG_0979.jpg IMG_0917.jpg IMG_0932.jpg IMG_0983.jpg

2 million tons?!? That's a whole lot of truckloads. Uh...like 100k 10 yard loads, maybe?

You must be pulling our legs a bit, Erico.

Nice looking roadwork, any which way :).

Back