The Official Work Pictures Thread

Sorry to keep ya up late Gary. It gives a bit of lift to your brush and also keeps the ropes from dragging through the dirt as well

Gary you should recruit some boy scouts with their canoes to pull that thing over and drag it away... almost a guarantee they would do it. :D

Gary I wish I was there with my kubota to help you. I'll mention what I have in mind in case it might help you or anyone else reading. We do a lot of 'winching' with the kubota artic loader. I clip a heavy duty Gibbs ascender into the grapple bucket, put a running bowline around the brush/logs etc and run the rope (1/2"- 3/4") to the Gibbs and pull it hand tight, then raise the booms all the way up (approx 12' high) and back up as space allows, then move forward up to the initial starting spot while groundie takes up slack, and repeat as needed. The high booms give lift and clearance to help save the lawn or avoid obstacles, and backing up is very powerful and controllable, and taking up slack takes just seconds. It is kinda primitive winching method but highly effective and no heavy or expensive winch is needed. And there is always at least a little bit of room to back up if the tractor has gotten to the starting spot in the first place

We do the same thing with heavy logs, using one or 2 chains and no Gibbs (cuz no rope, just chains). Choke logs, Back up, move forward and shorten the chains, repeat.

Cory... Thanks for that description. Alex has a Kubota tractor but we have never used it like that. The lift on the tractor is very strong and we haven't employed in that way yet. We will add that to a list of tricks to use.

Cool!

You probably already own a Gibbs or some other descender so you just need a point on the bucket to attach it to. Maybe there's a D ring there already.

Skidded some really beautiful Redwood logs today. Big heavy logs about 70 ft down in a very steep draw. Had to break out the rigging (blocks, straps, and tag lines) to get these fuckers out. Also bucked out the breaks in a good size chunk from an old growth wind-fall. Managed to get a real nice 16 ft log with about 4000 board feet in it!
IMG_0597 copy.jpg IMG_0449.jpg IMG_0599.jpg

Of course lumber is by far the #1 priority but just wondering, do you burn much redwood and if so how is it?

Of course lumber is by far the #1 priority but just wondering, do you burn much redwood and if so how is it?

I do burn Redwood. It makes great kindling, as it burn quick and really hot. It doesn't make great firewood, but I use it for the first hour or so, then move on to Oak and Madrone.
The milling process produces a lot of waste so we turn a portion of the mill-ends into firewood, and give it out to the community. Free heat!

If you don't have a lifting eye or d ring, you can put a pintle hitch on the top of it. It's about the handiest thing ever. I had never seen one used there before, but every backhoe at the company i work for has them. It's brilliant actually, because they are a rated lifting attachment, you can hook rigging to them, and you never will break the mouse off. You can move trailers easily (as a construction company everything is a pintle set up), and it makes a perfect tie down for trailering.

Coolest thread in the world. Mostly cause of Eric, Sean, Gary and the two Riches. Keep it up.

I've got a weird gig at Eastside these days... Mainly just falling and working the ground with the Crane. These guys have a ton of great climbers, but no fallers. I probably climb one tree a week. Oh well... pretty good company to turn old-man in, I guess. I think I fell and processed 5 pondos today... here's the two biggest. 20180403_121031.jpg 20180403_121045.jpg 20180403_111420.jpg

It sure has gotten more advanced than when I first started.

And Jerry can say that 20 times over, lol!

Butch, your rotator pics where one of my biggest inspirations when I first found the House. Oh, and I STILL dig the taught-line.

I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm good once as I ever was!

Time to pass the gauntlet...

You still post some damned fine pictures, Burnham.
Just not in the work pics thread.

Back