The Official Work Pictures Thread

Its finally drying up round here. Had a nice soul session bucking an skidding by myself today. Gawd I love Spring!
IMG_0469.jpg IMG_0409.jpg IMG_0452.jpg IMG_0400.jpg IMG_0422.jpg IMG_0404.jpg IMG_0440.jpg

Eric, man... I really don't know what to say, ya know?... Thank you so much for contributing what you do. I think that you and Gerry and BOTS are are only active contributers from Redwood land these days. Can't tell ya how much I love your work.

Here's a few pics from my only day (Maple, down only) this week not doing crane work. I love the crane stuff cause it's so stinkin easy, but... I gotta say... man it's really freakin boring. Good problem to have sometimes, but still. I might just stick to pictures despite Kyle's advice... still don't know how to upload vid. :|: I know... I know, Butch, "Click the 'share' button." Where the Freak is the "share," button? :X:|:

Here's me lookin down into the whole mess.

20180330_092244.jpg

Number 1...

20180330_132512.jpg 20180330_132516.jpg

Number 2...

20180330_141437.jpg

Had to cut this pig (cause of the stump) from over my head. Excuses, excuses.

20180330_141430.jpg

Thanks man, I appreciate it. Beautiful work at the stump as usual Jed!

Geez if only everybody managed their forests like that, we'd be in a lot better shape overall!

Nice pics for sure.

You do realize that the last picture shows an area that has been clear cut and that they managed to cut 96% of the Redwood forest before some people got together in the Save the redwoods league and bought up the remaining 4%, right?

The last pic was too far away for me to see if it was old growth or not. Rico's logging pics seem to show him harvesting lots of fine logs and the residual stand is robust too. I am aware redwood can regenerate fast if allowed.

I didn't mean Rico.
From what i've seen, he only takes out single trees.

I meant the way the Redwood belt has been logged off.

Seems like as usual, the two of us are as we say here: speaking in east and west ( Vi taler i ?st og vest). Meaning we talk about completely different things without meaning to.

We scoped out this job last week...taking down a large poplar at the edge of a lake, between two houses. The plan is to limb it and set up a pull line to use the truck and a block to pull the brush about 90-100 feet uphill to the chipper. The stairs have to come out to be able to handle the brush (they are getting replaced anyway). Then we fell the spar into the lake, using a ski boat as a pull vehicle. Once in the water we cut it into 20 foot sections so they can drag them across the lake to load them onto their equipment trailer at the boat dock.

It will be a first for me....I'm sure you guys do this all the time.....:D

Attachments

• Brent poplar at lake  (1)resized.jpg
    Brent poplar at lake (1)resized.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 58
  • Brent poplar at lake  (2)resized.jpg
    Brent poplar at lake (2)resized.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 58
  • Brent poplar at lake  (4)resized.jpg
    Brent poplar at lake (4)resized.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 57
The last pic was too far away for me to see if it was old growth or not. Rico's logging pics seem to show him harvesting lots of fine logs and the residual stand is robust too. I am aware redwood can regenerate fast if allowed.

Definitely not Old-Growth, but very old second growth. I live in a very unique area, and lucky for us 2 forward thinking logger barons saw the writing on the wall and decided to save this place from Devastation in 1890. We have quite a bit of Old-Growth that I will not cut unless totally necessary, and a lot of very old, very large, incredibly beautiful second growth.

I might not have used the correct term for what I was thinking. I remember Reg did a video where he brought everything up hill in bundles.

Rico, I hope you know that I wasn't ragging on you with that post.
Quite the opposite, in fact.

The work you do is to me a good example of single stem harvesting, which we are slowly turning to around here as well.

Whether those trees be old or second growth doesn't much matter to me, the careful way you harvest them does.

Actually, some of the logs you mill, that I was lusting after, sure looked like old growth to me, judging from the close growth rings.

That was why I got a serious case of the drools.

Rich... I remember now. I just had to slow down long enough to remember how it was done. I laid in bed last night and figured it out before I fell asleep so I think we'll be fine. That's probably the way we'll do it.

Rico, I hope you know that I wasn't ragging on you with that post.
Quite the opposite, in fact.

The work you do is to me a good example of single stem harvesting, which we are slowly turning to around here as well.

Whether those trees be old or second growth doesn't much matter to me, the careful way you harvest them does.

Actually, some of the logs you mill, that I was lusting after, sure looked like old growth to me, judging from the close growth rings.

That was why I got a serious case of the drools.
No worries Stig, as I never took it as ragging.
In the late 70s and 80s I worked in massive clear-cuts, and after that experience I swore that if I continued working in the woods I would do my best to treat the woods with respect and kindness.
Old-growth or second growth matter not around here. Its all just plain beautiful!

Cool.
Keep posting those pictures, I think we all here enjoy them.
The work you do is pretty unique today, and getting a chance to see that is a fine thing.

Rich... I remember now. I just had to slow down long enough to remember how it was done. I laid in bed last night and figured it out before I fell asleep so I think we'll be fine. That's probably the way we'll do it.

That’s the part of tree work that I don’t like. Laying in bed thinking about it...

I’m looking forward to seeing pictures of the process and the big splash when it hits the water.

Back