The Official Work Pictures Thread

Not everyone has the luxury of parking in their own garage or in a secure parking lot. We have to remove the keys from all equipment, if only to reduce the liability of some idiot starting up a chipper and offing himself.

Boss is afraid of cranes but is paying for me to take the crane man inc course. I’m hoping that’s a sign he plans on using them in the near future.
Got both trees down to bucket reach today. Still gonna be a day cookie cutting and hauling wood.

I do have the luxury of leaving my machines on site often. This last job, there were kids riding motorcycles up and down the ROW even with my truck blocking it. They were curious kids. Chipper and mini and trailer stayed on site. So we pulled the keys. We are there for four days.

Whenever I leave the mini excavator on the job I hang the key on the oil dipstick. It's not totally fool proof but at least it's not in the ignition and it's always with the machine.

Rich, your boss should send you to work with PCTree, too.

While you're retrieving the keys from the oil dipstick, you can check the oil, right? Smrt.

Worked on broken shat today. Strapped the split then Wraptored up into the fray in the catcher tree. Stripped the nasty culprit set a line to hang the one side, then released the other. Dropped the next batch of crap all together leaving the main culprit hanging on my rope and hobbs. Then used the catcher tree with a block to lift and swing 3 more little leaners and gin pole the wood to a landing for the mini to move out a gate. Sucky mess....
Fodder
20180131_085357.jpg 20180131_085439.jpg EB887655-.jpg 8ECA11CB-.jpg

After

Attachments

• 20180131_142234.jpg
    20180131_142234.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 70
Wow! That's quite a sycamore!
Even without a foggy, misty day a less-than-experienced person on the lowering rope can add a lot of stress when working down a large tree in a tight space. That is a great photo. Wesspur material for sure.

Yesterday morning had an oak and honey locust prune and in the afternoon finally got some free time to get the bucket over to an interesting sweet gum removal. It had been dropping 4" to 8" limbs, sounding showed a hollow at the base that ran about five feet up the bole, and it was time to get it out of there.

I had started up it a while ago, limbing as I went, intending to lower it out, with wires and a sycamore next to it. At 35 feet up there was a squirrel hole, and my hand saw wouldn't reach the other side. Cut myself off a small probing stick, and there was only about 3/4" to 1" of good wood all around at the main juncture of all the leaders! The entire top was on a hollow tube. No lowering out with me in it; not worth the risk of it failing.

The area used to be low, swampy land, which was used as the city dump back in the 1930s to 1040s. The builders brought thousands of tons of fill in and raised the ground level about three to five feet. When I was young the older trees all had brick walled 'wells' around them, each about three to five feet deep. Made great 'forts' for snowball fights. It's amazing to me that as many of those trees survived as did. This tree went pretty much straight into the ground, with very little root flare. It was only 28" DBH, but was there when the house was built in 1966!

Got it down, and the hollow in the trunk extended about five feet down (eight feet if you count the section of stump I left), and a good foot and a half below grade are two tree rods holding the split trunk together. We'll be able to grind the stump 15" below grade and not hit them!
FlyingTheBucket.jpg
SweetGum.jpg
WheresTheFlare.jpg
Inside.jpg

You Wraptored up that lil' thing, Stephen.
Getting lazy, I fear.:P

19C91AB6-3D45-42AB-9F63-D0DF6C03B078.jpg 8002E618-A423-4F5C-8727-A1413D598189.jpg

I?m done 8). Bought the guys a beer after that one. They really busted ass today. I think they were as tired of that job as I was. Someone else gets to go there tomorrow to pick up a lot of sawdust;)

I've never used straw bales as catcher's, some times drive in some fence posts and lean plywood against them, I like the bales!

Nice job Pat, didn't know you ran a bucket, looks like the ticket for that tree

You Wraptored up that lil' thing, Stephen.
Getting lazy, I fear.:P

Yup. Lazy ol me... :lol:
Entered the fray from behind, slash and hack through. Was quite easier to move my TIP once I was up there and found one high enough :P
Only had to go up the bugger 3X and across it a few limb walks to piece it out. Meh, I figured take the first climb out anyway ;)

Back