The Official Work Pictures Thread

HA!... Mick's a swamp logger! Makes sense. Englishman turned Frog. :lol: Nice pics friend.

Gary: Yeah, sorry,... it is the knut. I had only spelled it phonetically because I had (till yer post) only heard it spoken. (At least... everybody here in WA pronounces it, "nut.") Seems a good enough knot. (Oh!... I get it!... "Knot," "Knut," HA Ha HA!!!... very clever. Prized over the VT (as I'm sure you already know) due to it's lack of "set-back". I really enjoy climbing on a Taught-Line. Actually, I really enjoy climbing on a variety of knots....... dunno why.... just super fun trying all kinds of weird stuff. :|:

That'll get you arrested!

In my mind I say "cuh nute" ... not sure how to really pronounce it. Maybe Stig can sort it out??

He is our resident linguist.

Had a fun one today. Went well enough for a half day job.
IMG_2067.jpg IMG_2068.jpg
The wood was left against the fence till Monday when we go back to remove two more trees. One is on the fence already. Went back to the shop for a bit of maintenance and flip chipper knives.

I always like when tree-guys put binders to good use. Underrated trick. "They're just so heavy..." :lol:

Here's a COG Swanson butt-slip cut I tried to do Tues. Didn't work as well. Pretty sure I was just way too deep. I think that the log butt just ends up getting hung-up a bit. Too much drag on the way down probably.

KIMG0340.jpg

What's this Swanson cut?

Two hollow green cherries, one of which was cracked. Pulled against the lean (parellel to the house, toward the back of the house)
One punky fir, and many for snags.

The one hung in it's neighbor, hard. Tried to cut off one side of the hinge, after gutting the hinge. Used a rope to roll it off. Had the other fir (certainly infected with root disease, but still green) bent hard, but not uprooting it.

Bunch more fir to go next year.

After it hung, I realized I had cut minimum stump shot, so I added it after the back cut. Shoulda cut stump shot in, the first time.

IMG_20171013_142717594.jpg IMG_20171013_142706403.jpg IMG_20171013_155251218.jpg IMG_20171013_162637584.jpg

Nice:)

As for the pronouncation of "Knut", it is a tough one.
The name is pronounced different in different languages, so your guess is as good as mine.

What's this Swanson cut?

Properly done Sean, It's just a super narrow (Maybe 15 to 20 degrees) Humboldt with a SUPER steep (maybe 70 to 80 degrees) secondary "drop-off," cut sawn about halfway up the diagonal. The idea is for the narrow slope to completely bust all yer holding wood and then for the steep slope to let the butt drop more readily.

Rich/Stig: What is Beach like to split?

Dorking around at Boeing today. Tried my second Tounge In Groove attempt. :lol: Not a big fan. Takes super long to cut up. Wanted to save-out the Juniper, but the stinkin limbs from the Pine landed on the Juniper anyway and lifed my toung clean out of the groove. :lol: Trying to get my best Nice Guy Dave swagger for Dave Sherman who was taking the pic. He was rollin so hard he could hardly hold the camera still...

KIMG0361.jpg Gotta open the face a bit more than that, Jed. :|: unnamed-1499.jpg

And here we have the great David Sherman who (I'm figuring out) likes to hold his camera sideways.

unnamed-1498.jpg unnamed-1497.jpg The General Sherman. unnamed-1496.jpg

PNW tribal Totemism...

unnamed-1495.jpg

Dang, my ugly mug musta scared eveybody outa the work pics.

Out to Ste. Michelle today to fall this Elm...

unnamed-1503.jpg

You can probably see the hedge in front of the tree... well anyways... I was shooting blind, and then I hit this nail...

unnamed-1508.jpg

And so, then the end result was this...

unnamed-1507.jpg

I know... I know.

unnamed-1505.jpg unnamed-1509.jpg

The General Sherman...

unnamed-1506.jpg

So, we chipped 13 cubic yards of brush, and yet we still have this...

unnamed-1504.jpg

Man... Where the heck's Rich when ya need him?

unnamed-1502.jpg

I'm here. Been leaving my phone in the truck a lot lately. I'm so tired of dead ash. I should've taken pics today. I had two live maples to remove. It was great not having to look out for exploding branches and a huge debris field. The elderly lady we worked for was very nice and offered coffee every time she saw a chance. Also said she'd recommend us to all her lady friends as we were "cute" boys. Her vision might be going bad but I'll take it as a compliment.
Jed you guys need a bigger chipper and a loader. Chips are easy to find a place for. Wood not so much.

We actually were getting $24 a ton for two years. Went down to $14 a ton last year and now we pay a $8 tipping fee. Times are changing in my area that's for sure. Wood cost us anywhere from $20-$80 a load to dispose of now.

Alex and I did a "remove anything within 10 feet of the roof" today. First time I have used a polesaw in a tree.

Attachments

• Tom Ford tree  (1).jpg
    Tom Ford tree (1).jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 47
  • Tom Ford tree  (3).jpg
    Tom Ford tree (3).jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 48
  • Tom Ford tree  (2).jpg
    Tom Ford tree (2).jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Tom Ford tree  (4).jpg
    Tom Ford tree (4).jpg