The Official Work Pictures Thread

Mighty fine pics there at the stump, Reg. Fine as frog's hair split three ways. Hat's off, as is always the case with your work.

Reg, refresh my memory, do you have a chipper yet? What are you doing with all the wood , cut it up tiny and carry it out?

I bought a used Bandit 90 about 5 years ago, Paul. It sat in the carport for over 2 years until I stopped contract climbing. We rarely haul logs. Most people want it, or know someone else who burns firewood. I give them the choice of keeping it, or I'll haul it for a cost increase. 90% of people keep it, put it on Craigslist or whatever. If I do have to move stuff that I cant give away, I'll winch it up ramps onto the back of the truck as big as I can manage. But mostly, getting rid off wood is never a big deal.

Nice work Reg and Buddy..
Sigh of relief after jobs like that, Reg. I grow tired of answering questions on the comms. I prefer the loyal clients set back into acreage a bit.

Thanks all. I have a dead cedar take down this morning, solo. Hope I haven't overlooked anything about it. The rest of the day I'm going to cram in as many estimates as I can get to.

Don't know where I got four days from Reg. Sorry. I was a bit tired last night and my thoughts were mixed up between reading here and setting things up for work.

Nice work Reg.

I hope you manage to get the work/life balance sorted. In a way it is stressful being busy but it is a lot better than being stressed because you have no work.

Make hey while the sun shines and check in when you can mate.

Big Ray, Ive seen remnants left of trees hit in the sierras but never in person, that vid was intense

Did you notice the roof already had a dent near the eave before the strike? Wonder what that was from because the top coming down surely made it a whole lot worse!
WOW.

These are somewhat different work pictures from what is usually posted.
We have a huge amount of pre commercial thinning to do this and next year.
Not the most interesting work, but it pays ok.

Before and after:

P1050649.JPG P1050644.JPG

I would take too much time to decide which one to cut and which one to keep.
It's like thinning a crown, I'm slowed down by a lot of matters of conscience.

The shitty ones are obvious. But when you have two nice healthy trees side by side, like the both on the left, first pic, one has to go. Yes, I understand that, but which is the chosen tree? why not its neighbor instead?
I can stay a long time like that : :?

That is what I've always told the apprentices.
Now you get a try at playing God.

It is excellent work for new apprentices.
They learn about trees, about making decisions and most of all, get a lot of hours of non-dangerous chainsaw work in.
One does, of course, need to keep a very close eye on them, to ensure they thin correctly.

You take out the unwanted species, the trees that have already lost the race and gone thin and too tall with no crown, the ones with growth defects like co-dominant stems and the too vigorous ones, that will end up dominating the lesser ones.
Then you try to end up with an evenly spaced lot, where the spacing fits their age.

In mixed stands, one has a mental list of which species are most desirable, and aims to preserve as many of those as possible, if they are healthy and fit te above criteria.
Which species that are desirable varies with the terrain type, of couse.

So, all in all, it is a bit of a puzzle, but with practice it becomes easy.

When I started 40 years ago, it was paid by the acre, today it is paid by the hour.
I liked the former better.

Mathias, our present one ( Who is finished in a couple of months and will then become our employee instead of our apprentice) did 3 months solid of it in the beginning.
At first, he was leery about the saw, in the end, it was an extended part of himself and he could sharpen and maintain it.
It is great for building confidence in cutting and felling, since the trees are small enough that they are not dangerous.

Yep.
Next time they get thinned, it is by feller buncher.
By then the cut mass is big enough to warrant forwarding and chipping for bio fuel.

Interesting to me as we don't have commercial timber lots. We've got farmers looking to make a few bucks on more fields or property owners trying to pay for the property. Very few grasp the concept of a sustainable resource. And Jim that remark does not count you. Our farmers need more acreage to farm. Trees are not a crop. They are a vile weed that is in the way of crops.

Back