The Official Work Pictures Thread

Amazing truck, Forever. Is it a 450 or 550?

Habitat for bugs, vermin, birds and such.....you know food Web ecology stuff. Everything eating everything and pooping and making your garden grow....

This was in Penngrove, Ca. Sonoma County. Amazing rural county with nice people.

Great pics Grendel and Stephen.

How long have those trees been dead? Thanks

Yeah I'd like to know that too...how long before those dead trees are not safe to climb and top out any more? The scale of that die off is monumental!

Under bed boxes won't hold all my kit, some of it, but not all of it. Bob wants to put an extra fuel tank in the gap under behind the cab.
We still use the truck to put our camper on as well so the deck has to stay clear or anything put on it has to be removable....oh the dilemmas, the drama!

How long before you can't work those trees like that any more?
After they are dead, I mean.

All depends Stig. I have gone up them after three years dead. Tad scary that. Of late due to the dryness, most the ones I am doing are not even a year dead. After a year they are getting sketchy. Have to really watch the root wad as well. If they are in natural run offs for water, much more likely to fail underground. You can feel it though. These are starting to check in the first first or less. Too damn hot and dry.
Most of these trees I am doing these days I have a relationship with. I know when they died and such. Big help in taking them down.
Deva... those trees look at least 2 year dead.

For birds and such?

What else could use that as habitat? Bugs and squirrels?

One of the important bugs is a boring bee that is a pollinator.

Have you ever gone up one yet and had that gut feeling that the margins are just too close?
Do you anticipate that happening any time soon?

Yikes...just be at the bottom of the tree not the top, when that 'oh shit' moment happens please!!! :)

You feel it pretty quick. I think some of it is instinct, and some just being familiar with local species. I have had the honor of pruning a lot of our local species here. You get to know how they feel alive. I also have experience in their different stages of dying and drying. So you get a feel for it when they "just don't feel right".

Of course you can never under emphasise a good pre climb inspection.

I get that...
Great explanation, that unmeasurable, almost indefinable sense of trees is the bit a lot of people don't understand about our work.

Can you identify this species for me? :lol:

unnamed-982.jpg

Mighta shoulda bore-cut this head leaner top.

unnamed-983.jpg

This 50' stem, side-leaning hard, swung around really good.

unnamed-981.jpg

Rained absolutely sideways today.

unnamed-980.jpg
unnamed-984.jpg

Bingo...where to store kit will sort itself out sooner or later...
No, truck is not a dumper...yet. Conversion kit could be done in town if needed.

Got the new (sharp) knives installed today...click, click 110Ft/lbs...then I dismantled the anvil adjuster to square it all up and start from fresh...hmmm the mounting/adjusting plate is a bit bent as is one of the adjusting bolts. Should be right, put it back together and adjusted the anvil. My manual says 1.5mm clearance, made it a wee bit wider. This is all very new to me. Having fun.

The wider the gap between anvil and blade the harder it has to work to chip (breaking off bigger pieces)
On a relatively low powered machine like yours (and mine) it good to have a nice small gap.
If they say 1.5mm put it at 1.5mm

My 2 cents as they say.

Thanks guys, yes got everything set up nice and square 1.5mm
We've just been looking at one of the old sets of knives that have a nasty bunch of chunks out of it on one edge...might just go ahead and flip the anvil now, they must have tried to chip metal or stone!!

Nice pictures Grendel! I like seeing a HH setup in there. FWIW...when you tie your hitch, pull it really snug before tying your stopper knot, like so snug all the loops and crossovers are almost jammed together... there is always enough slack in the stopper knot to pull it straight when you load it to climb and then you won't get as much setback and it will grab better.

Oh, that reminds me. You asked a while back about cleaning the old, dirty grease away from bearings and fittings.

No problem at all, lots of people like to clean that stuff up.

One thing to remember is that when you buy a piece of equipment, old dirty grease around a bearing or joint might indicate that the bastard at least greased it once in a while!

Personally, I like to see the buildup.

Thanks, yes that was something the guys told me to look for when we were buying it. When we greased it ourselves last week, the grease popped right out so it would appear the previous owner was diligent with the grease!
I just like clean...but only as much as practical :)

I like to keep the stumpy clean of excess grease, it just attracts dust otherwise. Not really a problem on the bearings, as the new grease pushes out the dirt, but on the nipples the dirt gets pushed in with the new grease.

Back