The Official Work Pictures Thread

Same tree. I have hundreds of pics saved and scattered all over. I need to sort them out before they get lost or damaged....one of these days.
Picture 292.jpg Picture 196.jpg

"So when you cut down a tree, do you start at the top and work you way down?

Usually:whine::|:

Before
IMG_20160519_101636597_HDR[1].jpg

After popping the top, first main cut IMG_20160520_131811892[1].jpg

Catching a log IMG_20160520_135345934[1].jpg

After IMG_20160521_133014840[1].jpg

Moved for firewood pickers and chip haulers from the residents of this 55+ park IMG_20160521_133512281[1].jpg

Working top down, none of the limbs broke, or not much, when the top and 2 logs with limb sections rolled down the crown. The branches tangled a lot, so it was using the tree to rig itself, with a 5/8" line on the butt through Rig and Rings, to keep the falling section from rolling off the remaining tree, and stop it before it potentially punched a hole in the asphalt if the end hit.

I meant to cut the ~5' face, then build the crash pad, but forgot and built the pad (plywood, then lots of brush, the topping cut log on top crosswise) before the face. I had to re-cut it a little to hit the pad. No damage to the asphalt or concrete sidewalk.

I used some side and back limbs to build the pad. The trunk went in 4 pieces. About a 30' x 12" top, then two 10' logs, and a butt log flop. I crippled the butt log limbs by undercutting them on the way down until my bar was almost pinched. They broke away without leaving a big protruding stub that could have pierce the asphalt.

Used the mini to move all the brush to the chipper in the shade, rather than backing up to the full sun asphalt. The butt logs had to be cut to about 4' sections and bulldozed across the parking lot.

Isn't there a couple videos of that beech wreck Reg? That was a monster of a tree and it dates back to the pre-hair days of your career.:D

Nice stuff Sean. Good call on using the machine to drag to the shade.

I could take it in 4 big pieces, the biggest was under 20". The tangling limbs slowed the descent as much as the rope greatly reducing the forces. I didn't want to catch big logs that fall quickly. I wanted to use the low limbs breaking as shock absorbers. Don't know if that was wise, or if I got lucky. The butt log fell pretty hard, but no marks in the asphalt at all.

Sean are those thick like a spruce tree? I can see why it is easier to chunk it like that.
Willard just wondering the size and dry wieght of your camper. I thought I had the wife talked into a pop up but she believes they aren't secure enough now. I was trying not to have to buy a camper and a newish truck just yet.

Thanks. Probably that removal was 7, 8 years ago tops. There is some vid somewhere. Thats a 390 Willard. Great saw. Sold it only a year ago

Or just flop it whole and no worries about asphalt. Back your chipper up to the top and start limbing blocking and feeding.

Have you dropped that size tree on a driveway with 6-8" limbs at the butt? That is not built to road specs, I'm guessing. Even road specs would be questionable, IMO.

Road specs should hold up but why take the risk.
And I guess if I can't talk her into a pop up I guess I'll have to upgrade from the Tahoe. Probably means we're camping in the tent again this year. Doesn't bother me. I sleep in a chair by the fire most nights anyhow

I even included a couple of stump pics for Jed.

And I thank you heartily for them, sir. Personally... I don't even know what it is... I absolutely LOVE seing the curvature of the profile of the bar in the hinge shots. I should probably see a psychologist. Beautiful stuff though, man: The hinges, the timber, the countryside. Amazing post.

Sean: Intresting outside the box, pig removal. Personally, I've never had any kind of trouble with Sequoia limbs on blacktop. The stuff's so soft, ya know? I have taken a few fairly monster Firs onto asphalt (which even had some nasty pig-ear stubs on the front) with only very minor pitting for damage, and nothing ever came of it.

Reg: Just plain awesome. I'm sure you miss England from time to time. Personally, I'm in love with evergreen forests, but man... those monster Beeches are amazing.

I felled hundreds of conifers like that Sean on streets, asphalt driveway. Lands like a big sponge. Never had to repair any asphalt ever.
You guys down in the U.S. must have soft asphalt or something unless it's melting in your hot climate:?

90-100' tall redwood with 6' limb butts? 5' across the cut? Didn't know you have them up there.

55+ mobile home park/ golf retirement community, where everyone will be out to inspect for any damage. Old, old, old folks with their canes and walkers...a small divot can mean a fall. Old people falling can mean a broken hip or worse. Its a bit of PITA to have to get every last chip up, but I sleep well knowing there won't be a problem that I could get sued over.

I don't know how expensive asphalt repair is. I don't want to know.

Back