The Official Work Pictures Thread

It is a more forgiving country thats for sure.

I plan on visiting a friend in Devil's lake sometime this year.

I never make fun of North Dakotans. They are actually much smarter than they are made out to be.

You have to give them credit for stopping where they did, the silly ones ran out of supplies and had to stop in North Central Montana!

Jed you almost sound upset about losing some Cotten weeds to someone else:P. I know I'd just be all tore up over it
I gotta get some pics tomorrow before I restart. 3 decent size white oaks. 2 of them are tight. Ones just a bit outta reach. Almost brushed out today.

Jed...get over it, bro :). You'll never, ever, in a million tries, get a cottonwood to hold to it's hinge worth a damn. Don't ever think one will. Once in a while one will surprise you and sorta maybe do like a real tree will, but that's the exception.

Get over it :D

Once in a while one will surprise you and sorta maybe do like a real tree will...

This.

It's the "Once in a while..." bit that's got me really stumped. It's gotta do with the time of year or something... or maybe it's just in my head, but it seems like I've done a whole lot better than this. I tried everything. Gaped face, pinch face... hold more wood on the tension side. No matter what I did they would just get over c.o.g. and then just fall with gravity. I know, I know... get over it.

When I first came up here from the SouthWest, an old-timer (John Emmons) told me, "Jed, don't try to fall Cottonwoods." Just imagine how a Murphy or a Jed is going to receive a prohibition like that.

Damn old-timers... think they know everything, cause they do!

How about Jerry's mid-pull line log trick to keep the force on the pull line, rather than it going slack when the puller can't keep up with the tree.

I'm surprised at the comments about cottonwood hinges not holding. Me and Peter have done thousands of big poplar felling between us and I find them nice and predictable. A lot have been heavy backleaners pushed or winched over.

Funny coincidence on the Lawson Cypress / Port Orford cedar. Guess what I got called out to today... uploadfromtaptalk1452107376938.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1452107399732.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1452107422314.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I'm surprised at the comments about cottonwood hinges not holding. Me and Peter have done thousands of big poplar felling between us and I find them nice and predictable. A lot have been heavy backleaners pushed or winched over.

Funny coincidence on the Lawson Cypress / Port Orford cedar. Guess what I got called out to today...View attachment 66533View attachment 66534View attachment 66535

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

They don't hold to a side lean well. I guess it's just euro faller skills! :lol:

Are we talking about the same species of tree here though? Our pops are mostly hybrid blacks.

Another cypress from today. Messy tree. Lots of chip. Ugly, dirty stump at the end, to be ground....that's a 46in bar on the saw. 2016-01-06 11.59.16.jpg

I don't find cottonwood all that terrible. We fell a number that were ROTTEN as Sh&!, hollow as a drum.

Don't be greedy with them.

Spongy and wanting to clamp onto a long bar, plus mushy for beating wedges.

We get so much great hinging doug-fir here, that cottonwood sucks by comparison.

I've found the bigger cottonwood to hold better than young ones. I've had some that had zero ability to steer.

They don't hold to a side lean well. I guess it's just euro faller skills! :lol:

Are we talking about the same species of tree here though? Our pops are mostly hybrid blacks.

I always found them predictably easy in the UK....large or small.
They grow way faster here in the PNW it seems. Wide growth rings, slow taper.....seemingly over extended limbs all end weighted. Snap like carrots s a result. They not nice trees at all. Roger Barnett put a good vid out a little while back of one going sideways.

Back