The Official Work Pictures Thread

That sucks Fiona, but thanks for the advice.

Rajan: I'm of your opinion, but we were at some new friends all day and I only took one 12oz bottle of Guinnes. I'm in a bad way right now. :lol:

O.k. The General Contractor gave us (the building is being demolished) the green light to try to swing a seven degree side-leaner+limb weight today. No good anchors for 90 degree retainer. I said, "I'm probably gonna loose it over sideways." .... That's Andy cleaning off the roof for me...

unnamed-506.jpg unnamed-505.jpg

Then we had a pretty heavy back-leaner pull tree. I cut some wide wooden wedges off of the back cut on the tree in the immediate foreground to stuff into the back while the guys were crankin' on it so my heart wouldn't beat so fast. Worked a charm...

unnamed-508.jpg unnamed-509.jpg

Coupla more, then back home. Should be (God willing) done with this job tomorrow, so you guys won't have to look at it anymore.

Attachments

• unnamed-507.jpg
    unnamed-507.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 40
  • unnamed-504.jpg
    unnamed-504.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 40
  • unnamed-501.jpg
    unnamed-501.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 39
Don't apologize for the picts....I like seeing them.

First tree...if the face is 12:00 and that was the intended direction of the fall...did you lose it to 9:00? 90 degrees off?

You had a tapered hinge? Did it swing it at all?

Nope. You got the math right Gary, and good on ya' for noticing the taper. Cut a sizwill in too. When I got up on the wedges, I just jacked that pig clean off the stump. It started moving ahead a hair, but then, basically straight over sideways.

That's Cottonwood, though. Fir might have come out a whole lot better.

Thanks for mentioning the sizzy...I kept looking at that side of the stump and wasn't sure what was niggling at my wonderment. Sizwheel explains it.

Cool you got to practice on one like that.

Storm damaged cypress today. Had lost about about 1/3 of its top in the wind recently. 70 ft high id say. Tight spot. Zipped it all into an opening near the chipper. On easy stuff like this I have to keep reminding myself throughout not to get complacent and make a mistake.
20160104_093444.jpg 20160104_093049.jpg

Cypress... Redwood? Port Orford Cedar?

What chipper are you running, Reg?

I'm not totally sure Sean. Very close to a Lawson cypress, maybe a variation. Brittle limbs, extremely light timber, strong scent.

I have a bandit 90, with 70 hp Wisconsin motor. It's a good size for my little truck.

Man, I'm DONE with stormwork for the winter. Climbing sideways does such curious things to one's back, doesn't it?

Nice Reg. Were you a one man show on that one? I tried a solo zip line once. It went good till one landed backward and messed it all up.
Those sideways climbs suck Jed

Reg, it looks like bark and multi-trunk growth habit of Port Orford Cedar (town on Oregon coast down toward Coos Bay).

http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=204

Its not very common. An arborist ID'ed it for me.

Subject to Port Orford Cedar Root disease, caused by Phytopthera lateralis fungus. Causes black streaking in the cabium/ sapwood area, visible if you remove a piece of bark, as a diagnostic tool.

They can get chlorotic, then die.

Willie mentioned an experimental treatment. I think alfalfa pellets in the root zone. Don't know anything more. Maybe preventative, not treatment??????

Reg, it looks like bark and multi-trunk growth habit of Port Orford Cedar (town on Oregon coast down toward Coos Bay).

http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=204

Its not very common. An arborist pointed it out to me, naming it for me.

Subject to Port Orford Cedar Root disease, caused by Phytopthera lateralis fungus. Causes black streaking in the cabium/ sapwood area, visible if you remove a piece of bark, as a diagnostic tool.

They can get chlorotic, then die.

Willie mentioned an experimental treatment. I think alfalfa pellets in the root zone. Don't know anything more. Maybe preventative, not treatment??????

It has a characteristic turpentine-y smell. The heartwood can be super decay resistant, I believe. Maybe used in wooden boats, I've heard.

It was a favourite wood for hot tubs, back when you could still get it.

Got into the shop today, and the boss said, "You gonna quit milkin' that thing today Jed?" (It's two days ahead of the money). Me: "Uhh, yeah, God willing, etc."
Him: "Good cause I got another big removal job you have to start." Me: "What kind of trees?" Him: "Cottonwood." :laughing5:....

unnamed-518.jpg unnamed-516.jpg

Modern art....

unnamed-517.jpg

These two stumps were from nasty back-leaners that I was too scared to fall without brushing-out and topping, and even chunking down about 25' out of the sticks. Man, I swear... whether you're wedging or pulling or both... you just barely get those stupid Cottonpigs over center, and they just go with gravity. :X All's well that lands in the woods, I guess. Feels good to have this job behind me.

unnamed-515.jpg

Got back to the shop, and these guys were stealing our Cottonwood work!! They weren't even taking the slack out of thier lowering line, for some unknown reason....

unnamed-510.jpg

Couple more...

Attachments

• unnamed-514.jpg
    unnamed-514.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 45
  • unnamed-513.jpg
    unnamed-513.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 46
  • unnamed-511.jpg
    unnamed-511.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 45
  • unnamed-512.jpg
    unnamed-512.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 45
Butch, can we change Jed to Cottonwood Jed?

Orrin wedged this over for me today with his new green hard hat on. You anti Facebookers don't get to see the video :P
202700d33b1bc10562cd3a2ae2f4c9dd.jpg

HA!!!

Your eldest needs a longer bar. :lol:

Jim: You ever think of going East? The North Dakotans are good peeps. Lots of Norwegians.

Back