The Official Work Pictures Thread

Here is one "close" to the house I did awhile back. Terrible stump picts...definitely not "Jed" hinges.

Attachments

• IMG_7299adjo.jpg
    IMG_7299adjo.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_7511w.jpg
    IMG_7511w.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_7513adjab.jpg
    IMG_7513adjab.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_7518ah.jpg
    IMG_7518ah.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_7525ao.jpg
    IMG_7525ao.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_7530at.jpg
    IMG_7530at.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_9750 RESZD set 1.jpg
    IMG_9750 RESZD set 1.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_7516adjaf.jpg
    IMG_7516adjaf.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_7519ai.jpg
    IMG_7519ai.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 46
Ahhhh, MAN Gary!!! Nice job!! Tough job well done.

An excellent hinge is one that causes the log to fall exactly where the one in your pic did.

Scott: Do you run Vortex on SRT instead of skinny rope because of the extra "grabability" of half-inch?

Ahhhh, MAN Gary!!! Nice job!! Tough job well done.

An excellent hinge is one that causes the log to fall exactly where the one in your pic did.

Scott: Do you run Vortex on SRT instead of skinny rope because of the extra "grabability" of half-inch?

Jed, Yes, I like em fat rope, easy on these beat up hands

Thanks...the tree was done for a widow lady (two houses down from me) that spent most of her time in NY back then taking care of her mother who was very ill. I had been watching it decline and quoted it to her over the internet, she said "do it". She couldn't pay for it all at once. It was already dying in the top, shedding big limbs. Alex and I cleaned out the dead limbs, then roped down the rest of the limbs out of the top. At first I told her I would make it safe for her house and just do the first half of the tree. Then I realized awful it would look to have a 40 foot spar sticking up by the house...and how simple it would be to just do it all and get it over with...so we felled all of it. She paid for the first half...then would send me about $50 per month to pay the rest. She got about 75% paid up and I wrote her a note and told her to don't worry about the rest. She had finally moved back after her mother died and was having roof leak problems...she was very grateful.

Then she had a leaner over her back fence towards the house...she said it kept her up at night. We took that one down for $650, she paid it over time too, always with a nice note thanking us for our patience. She got that one paid off...and still sends a note once in awhile...she is a sweety.:)

Great pics and story, Gary! We have a bunch of those in our town because of the strict tree code. Never had to remove one that close.

Yep, glad we had a pull that handled it. Figured folks might learn something from it. I have had that happen several times...one reason I started working to "saw more lean" into the tree with the face cut and inserting wedges. And getting more aggressive with the amount of pull I get the puller to put on the spar.

And working harder to align ALL the cuts. I have ended up with a tapered hinge before when I didn't mean to.

First off......let me apologize for dragging this thread off topic. Most of you folks will be here and this could be the best place to ask about the 661. If I should take this over to the saw section, say the word and I'm on it.

The saw shop here just had to order a new jug and piston set for one and Stihl included a new intake boot and carbi beleive. Custy had complained of the boggy nature right before it cooked. Deeper issue? Probably. Extra parts raise suspicians.

I had one that I sent to Australia that fried......after about a year in service. The user is a pretty good saw tech himself, so I was able to learn a few things even though the saw was that far away.

He did a leakdown test and found that the decomp valve was full of carbon, and leaking badly. Normally, that sort of leak could be tuned out, and the saw would survive it. As you know, the MS661 is an M-Tronic design, and tuning is not possible. Some of them tend to run a little too lean, and any air leak can make them go leaner than the module can allow for.

That brings us to a overly lean issue on some of these saws that is being fixed by Stihl. The control module is being replaced with a newer version that makes the saw run richer. I'd ask the dealer if he could be sure your 661s are using this module. 1144 400 4720

On the carb boot...... They were deforming, and sucking in on themselves at wide open throttle. More so when the trigger was released after a cut. The first "fix" was a thick rubber washer in the intake boot. That washer has a habit of becoming dislodged from it's spot in the intake. The new fix is a new, stiffer intake boot.

No problems whatsoever, Randy.
As you know, we run them hard, doing full time hardwood logging in winter.
They are very good saws.
Smooth running, no vibes and a great power band.
Remind me of my BMW motorcycle, in fact.:D

And this is why I asked. 99% of these saws are going to be perfect....

Personally, I love the saw. Plenty of power, and smooth driving. I have complete confidence that Stihl will quickly sort out any issues that may arise with this saw.

You may very well be the only one here, who has ever drug a thread off topic, so it is only rightfull that you apoligize for it.

Jeeez, Randy, we go off the reservation on just about every thread.:lol:

I love mine, too.
Best felling saw for big hardwood, I've had since the 064.

I'm a forum member on many sites. This one is the most respectful site I have ever visited. Respect breeds more respect.......I respect that. :|:

You are so right.
That was why I quit TreeBuzz, lack of respect.

We are a very different bunch here, but no-one pisses on anybody else, and apologies for hard words usually come along with the words.

And Stig is a black belt that comes here regularly, none of us can handle the humiliation of getting our butts kicked by a communist vegetarian so we're polite.

Back